• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

The is probably the most interesting part for me. I'm not particularly fond of Americana, but it has always billed itself as an extension of workmanship and wear rather than a pure aesthetic, as is the case with a lot of the neo-industrial nonsense that came out of Japan in the 90s and is still dribbling out into the new century. I don't know to what extent I buy into the style, but at the very least it's a sort of insurance for the future. Almost irrespective of what it actually ends up being, I think whatever evolves from the current take on reinterpreting workwear is likely to be a better thing in the overall schema of fashion than whatever could evolve from dropcrotch shorts, artificially shredded tees, and superfluous jutnecks.
And there's nothing wrong with that. I like gothninja when it's more about minimalism and silhouettes than aggression. But the most insipid discussion I've seen online recently took place on SZ's waywt thread, which went on for five pages and was about whether wearing anything other than monochrome could "dilute" a look. It's juvenile. It places the endgame above the transition, and that's not a healthy way to do fashion.

yes. The reassessment of values is a good thing, it allows for change. There are brands that can change, there are brands that do not want to or don't have to change - but the value of money changes, as we have seen in recent years.
People aren't going to quit spending money on clothes, nor should they, if they can afford it - but questioning and reassessing the value content is a good thing - markets and manufacturing evolve on production as well, things can become cheaper year on year, and accessibility increases (and therefore 'cool' decreases)

Anyway, the noughts were frought with lots of clothes just increasingly being expensive to be expensive, it started when Dior Homme sparked this menswear thing and came with reasonably high price tags, and then culminated at the end of the decade with Rick Dunks, Balmain Homme, and $1000 Givenchy screen printed sweatshirts. I mean, Dior Homme wasn't cheap, but it seems like a downright value compared to that other stuff....

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think to add to that bit about the magazines and their self-determined positions, I'd say, for example:

DLester would be really into SENSE. It has a bit more Japanese midmarket and Americana but it's the magazine for guys who buy all baller stuff but don't necessarily need to style it like a magazine editorial. I actually think that TOJ fits in best with SENSE, the aesthetic at least, the TOJ price point is a bit low for that range.

Man of Kent among many others would like OCEANS - it puts a real life spin on a lot of the workwear and American inspired stuff he has and wears in outfits.

Fuuma would really like Huge, if he could read through all the Japanese essays and ****.

A lot of younger guys who post to this thread would like Men's Joker probably.

our dear old friend robbie, who is now cool on superfuture, would like Free and Easy (though he'd complain that all of it is too expensive I guess)

Most of the clothes aren't gonna surprise you, you've seen them all on the internet before, know what they cost, etc - but to see them styled up or seeing editorials on them would be fun I think.

Apart from fashion mags I buy Casa Brutus (home and lifestyle, design) and RD -Real Design- monthly of good design products. I love magazines.

realmisr

Reaction score
I'd love for TOJ to make some black calf or cordovan CCP like boots. They are well designed, minimal, functional (side zip) and materials and construction is great. Sounds like TOJ to me!

Please tell me you will offer sizes for us small feet dus =/

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
none of you dus would actually wear raw/natural veggie tan shoes. They would look like flesh, and they would get dirtier faster than you could age them.

dibango

Reaction score
on the subject of jp mags, drew you should check out mens ex dec 2011. lots of footwear production discussion.

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I probably have it... let me check..

:fu: I have November and January... worth amazon'ing?

Last edited:

pronxs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PICT3509.jpg

http://helloblackbird.blogspot.com/2008/10/blackbird-natural-leather-footwear-by.html

:nodding:

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We at styleforum have officially jumped the shark, veg-tanned derbies. Wow.:nodding:

buran

Reaction score
I still don't like the look of them. Not for me.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Came home from vaca yesterday to find my new TOJ there (#6). Very happy with it - thanks Drew & Charly

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads