1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

there's hardly any need for a 'short' size if there is a regular and long size - it's available in tailored clothing because sleeve lengths and jacket lengths matter, but on casual clothes, what's the difference if you end up with a half break in your leather jacket sleeve? It will only look cooler.
    Added to this, most males are within a similar range of measurements whether they're 5'4 or 6'4, because the bare minimum most guys weigh is about 115/120 on the shortest end - so the changes are proportional, most people fit into 'regular' sizes. Maybe not with absolute precision, but close enough that one size will clearly fit you better than another size. And that's life outside of the TOJ universe...

2. impolyt_one

I don't want to tie my name to those names because they are old established brands with millions of dollars getting paid out to support their sprawl, in extra hands, in real estate footage, etc - they do use economies of scale, but in the end, think of how many hands are in the pot to sell a $175 pair of APC jeans. I don't want to get to the point where I have a big bloated operation just working to pay for paychecks, from the business standpoint it just needs to be a well-performing machine that delivers my goods reliably. I think in the cases of those big names, yes, all glory to Hiroki and to Jean, but maybe a case of diminishing returns, not necessarily needing to sow more seeds to reap more grain, or likewise, expecting that growth is linear and productive with every square inch of footprint.

3. ceoceo

ceoceo Well-Known Member

But then there is this racial difference. I can't buy shirts in America without looking like Mexican kids.
    I am totally fine with you going Daiki Suzuki and design the fit according to your body type- 5'8'' Skinny Asian ftw :slayer:

4. impolyt_one

Not really, as you may be aware of, we sell clothes to Asian dudes quite frequently - wouldn't know who is what if we didn't get their names. It doesn't matter if you're black, white, Asian, hispanic, whateva - as long as you're not fat, you fit into most clothes. It may not be shrink-wrapped BoO and shit, but who wants to look like that anyway? I want to create style that is not regrettable.

5. smashwindow

smashwindow Well-Known Member

6. el Bert

el Bert Well-Known Member

Any recommendations for either of the two Italian green calfskin leather?

7. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Drew said they were both very nice. What jacket are you planning on getting? Should help shape your decision. Bottle green seems like a louder color.

8. el Bert

el Bert Well-Known Member

That's actually the reason why I was asking, because I trust his judgement on the quality of leather and I was actually leaning more towards the olive green just wasn't really sure on which. I was actually thinking of 2010 navy dr in lamb but I'm thinking of changing it to a different jacket. I think green might look a little off but I could be wrong.

9. NotClever

NotClever Well-Known Member

I dunno, I'm sad that I didn't get in on TOJ early enough to get more than one MTM, but I have about zero worry of any OTR stuff looking any less awesome.

This is highly reminiscent, to me, of the usual "Should I add a quarter inch here?" "No, just email Charly and you'll get a perfect jacket." There's no reason not to trust these dudes to make shit well. They certainly have the track record to prove they know how to cut things well.

10. ceoceo

ceoceo Well-Known Member

^ now I want a leather jacket now just so that I can tell the future ToJ-ers of that bygone era.

11. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

aaaeeeiiiooouuu Well-Known Member

amazing
    this pic really didnt get enough love when it was first posted

great news :)
    i hope the usual leathers will still be available

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  12. Kross

Kross Well-Known Member

I for one hope you never become hiroki/vivism
    [​IMG]
    I love TOJ just the way it is and OTR sounds like it'll give you guys more time to put towards R&D which is a +++ imo

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  13. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

Ahahah lol this gif is the best

Visvim is the worst, Ive only met awkward asian kids who are into it IRL / online

14. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

I had to look up what this is. It's a shame you won't be making more. That thing is :drool:
    Also, browsing his tumblr makes me jealous of his life (and by association his insane ToJ collection of course)

Good stuff, man :crackup:

15. impolyt_one

Hiroki/Visvim is just monetizing their investment on Chinese money- unlikely they quit, but I can't help but feel its a means to the end for him, maybe it's the late stage of his game with the label. Recently I saw a pic of him pre Visvim, maybe around the iDiom days- so funny to see him young and without the long hair and Navajo getup. He has refined a vision, for sure, but you can't help but feel that in the future the label will just sit there without as much energy as before, maturity has been reached and it will just be this store in Harajuku with the $500 shirts and $4-8000 leather jackets and shit, like soulless rich old/rich young Chinese dude stuff to be copped because it's expensive. We won't be going down that path. I like nice stuff myself but never get into anything simply because of a price tag. I usually just get drawn to things for some simple, yet irreplaceable quality that many share the same sentiments about.

16. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Well-Known Member

As a "Born in the Southern USA" half-breed, I always wanted to buy a big pickup truck with a South Korean flag on the back windshield with "The South Shall Rise Again" and "Heritage, Not Hate" emblazoned around it. I'm not sure many people would "get" the irony, though.... ;)

17. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

So much talk about MDR, DR, baseball jacket, TOJ1, CWU etc.

I remembered though one of the jackets that started it all...the TOJ Moto

I think it is decided for me in terms of which jacket. I played with the idea about an DR or QDR, and then the CWU looked real good...but a moto is just what I feel will best fit my wardrobe now and beyond. Not sure why the jacket kind of curved down in terms of discussion on the forums.

Is it still your favorite Drew, or was it ever? I will always remember you talking about leather jacket collars and necklines and for me that is a very sensitive issue as I have a neck of a giraffe. That is why for me, I like high collars...

a photo of me:
    [​IMG]

FWIW, QDR/DR is too aggressive for my face I think. CWU is real good ... a toss between CWU and Moto it seems

18. impolyt_one

Yeah I agree, a Moto would suit you nicely. A banded collar that sit around your neck like that would look great. I don't really know why attention has moved away from the Moto either- being that it is one of the oldest designs, that means its also very dialed in. There's little I can do to change it.

19. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

The moto is an awesome piece, but it doesn't have all the bells and whistles like some of the other jackets. Do we need 20 cup holders, air conditioned seats, colorful lighting, parking sensors, etc. in our cars? Absolutely not, but people buy it because they want the "best." Even if it's just gratuitous and unnecessary features.

And because I am curious, what don't you like about the Aeglus bomber, Drew?

*edit* Another point on the moto is that people can't buy that many $700+ jackets. If they're going to drop that much, they may be looking for the jacket to make more of a statement than a moto.

20. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

I looked through the photo album and honestly, not a lot of people look great in it. Your sample fit was probably the best and Lionheart really killed the momentum TBH. Vaio looks pretty good, got that long hair too that is reflective of you. poly900rock also pretty good as I look through the album...Forgot about ceoceo oh damn =\

Mr.Rosewater looks damn good in the grey

The different browns are nice, but it still looks best in black

Where are your sample photos Drew : )?
    Question regarding the collar, does it soften up to drape better or does it always stand outwardly? Not sure how often I would wear it zipped, is there sort of a belt loop to have the collar folded back when unzipped?

May I request that Willy pull up the TOJ Moto sample of Drew? Need side by side comparison as I would probably wear them the same with an OCBD and trousers/denim

What I have thus far:
    [​IMG]