1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. candrew

candrew Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm down with meeting up wherever in LA/OC/Siberia.

Also, pho is fucking awesome around LA county, though I still think the valley is the best for it.

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

yeah it's him. guy gives me the willies. Red CCP chef's shirt is a classic though.

3. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Kraftwerk one

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  4. impolyt_one

I was pretty blown away by the quality of the pho in little saigon, I mean it's kinda obvious, but you know. The good stuff is really great, I am jealous because pho is disgusting in Tokyo. Had a really passable bowl in Hong Kong and it still made me happy.

5. impolyt_one

Do you guys think if MrBlack smoked more weed and spent time with strippers or something, he would loosen up a bit? Is it a genetic thing? Possible rags to swags experiment?

lets do it

just not on my dime

7. impolyt_one

For some reason, even though ceoceo kinda trolls this thread, I remembered his comment about how he was frustrated and wanted to quit studying fashion design or whatever it was he is studying because I was sitting around today and came up with some Korean motifs I want to incorporate into clothes. Not that anybody would recognize them and they'd be really subtle and sneaky anyway, but I thought he would like them. Putting together fusions like that is kinda like fusion cooking, very easy to overdo or be way too obvious with, or fall into some sort of formulaic monotonous one-trick thing with. Maybe not material for TOJ, doesn't really seem on the same track, but maybe someday they'll come to light.

8. impolyt_one

yeah not mine either, and I wouldn't want to hang out with him either. Let's send colabear.

9. impolyt_one

you shouldn't be, the silver YKK one-way zips I want to transition to we have been using on the Bombers and CWU-45's for a year now. Nobody noticed and pointed that out though. :eek:

10. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

My blacked out hardware on my moto is starting to get less blacked out. It looks weathered in a totally awesome way. Will take pictures when I get home.

11. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

Aha, totally makes sense. And yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing them. I think the silver on dark whiskey should make a nicer combination than gunmetal.

12. impolyt_one

Here's something I've been thinking about (and not just recently, but for a long time) - and I'll use the magazine mapping again because people like pictures and we kinda understand the graph better now;

I have been thinking about what it'd be like to work with another person(s) to create collectively. Right now and for the past 3 years it's been just me to come up with things to make and decide how they will look and how to make them with a little input from outside sources, but what I've always wondered about, what it could be if I had some sort of complementary mind to strengthen the products in some way.

For example, I don't have any basis or past study in clothing design, I just kind of wing it. What I see to be my greatest strengths are things that many people don't really notice I feel. They're not really the outward qualities that you can see, but how I see myself is having this ability to picture something in my head and then be able to blueprint it from the ground up, all mentally, and be able to itemize plans of action mentally, the laundry lists, the silly little trivia that goes with things, I have a very catalogued memory and my train of thought is pretty resourceful I think. That's how I go from the beginnings of an idea to a finished product, it can all just go up in a second, and I can see when something will work or not.
    Anyway, I think I am good at that, and I think I have a bit of a restrained hand when it comes to aesthetic detailing and palettes, but what I see as the downside of all of this is the fact that I tend to think of things in pieces, as individual works, I obsess over things having qualities on their own and being standalone if need be, and you can see that in my work today still - everything is still separate items and not made to be styled together in a lookbook or anything.

So my question is... what if I could find someone who fills in the blanks there and takes what I do well, and adds to the weaker parts so that we can make something even nicer? I am just as much a fan of well-presented clothing and stylings as anyone, but it's just not my frontrunning talent I feel. What if I found someone who is great at styling, has a free, open mind when it comes to palettes and textures, someone who has visions but not necessarily the same level of focus? I think that's what I need, or I am missing personally. It's like, the architect vs the engineer. I would be the latter, and I am looking within myself and possibly amongst other people to be the architect of sorts, like someone who has visual concepts and I am the person who can juggle the technicalities to make things a reality. I think it's possible and I'd probably know if that person is right upon seeing them... just haven't seen anything yet.

On the magazine graph it's like this, I feel I am in the red, and what I hope for is some sort of yin to my yang, in the green;
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

It seems like alcholic macbooks are a growing problem, someone should alert Apple, so they can start MAA.

You can buy a thing to place on the screen, that helps make the colours true.

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

It looks like you want someone with a heavy streetwear background. Are there any streetwear designers that you really admire?

+1 to teen's suggestion of synth

15. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

:hide:
    Supreme x TOJ ?

16. impolyt_one

I don't know about artishard's alcoholic Macbook, but my problem was that I like to sit around and styleforum while sipping on tallboys of cheap Asian swill, and those things always have a high center of gravity. Just a brush of the hand against a slightly full one and you can say goodbye to your keyboard. :eek: My last white MB drank a tallboy and the keyboard went kaput again, but the motherboard and display were fine, just needs an external keyboard, so I gave it to Dan before I moved. I haven't put a beer into my MBP yet, been a year :eek:

17. impolyt_one

Might've gotten too generous on that lifestyle/street side of things. I think I want lifestyle to represent something other than street, streetwear isn't my focus or intended image I guess - and when I say 'street' I mean by way of American urban styled streetwear as it's supposed to describe on that mapping. European style streetwear isn't exactly the easiest thing to categorize or pigeonhole.

Anyway, my intended expression in the mapping is that I am looking for qualities like a natural talent at the polishing aspects, the way some people are really good at arranging abstract things, artists of sorts, also packaging and innate attitude/communications. I admire people who put together graphic designs with lots of polish. I have had trouble doing things like that in the past, I've done it for work before and I did fairly average at it, but there's always those people out there who can really 'wow' you with what they come up with on the spot.

18. wurm

wurm Well-Known Member

At my previous college I was in a friends dorm and one of my friends spilled her gross mix drink on my other friend's macbook - a direct hit on top of the keyboard. It fucked up for a while but after laying it upside down over a fan it somehow worked. Keys were sticky as shit though. I could never imagine typing on that thing.

19. Samir

Samir Well-Known Member

PDinh hooked me up with an olive anniversary MA-1 (and a tote bag!).
    Pretty happy with the fit, especially since it was a sample piece. The construction is great.

20. artishard116

artishard116 Well-Known Member

it was in miami, so I couldn't really blame it...