1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

The whole concept of a kobe burger is kind of silly, actually, since the whole point of kobe beef is the even marbling of fat throughout the meat. It's great for a steak, but relatively pointless for something processed like a burger.

Also, thanks for accepting my friend request. :blush:
    I need to have such a jacket in my life.

1 person likes this.
  2. poly800rock

poly800rock Well-Known Member

should have gone to McDowell's, they're seeds have no buns.

3 people like this.
  3. Carpenoctem

Carpenoctem Well-Known Member

Thats entirely my point, thats exactly what it boils down to. I think the whole "itll cost too much to produce" thing was just an excuse, which is what i originally said and how this little debate began if you bothered to read.

Uncontrol, no experience manufacturing but a hell of a lot of experience buying. I essentially collect various types of leather jackets and have at least a dozen legit leathers all of which i use for riding. If no one could comment on clothes without experience manufacturing them this forum would be pretty empty.

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

You're right about the kobe burger thing... except that there is a significant acorn-y taste from real wagyu that one wouldn't get even if you upped the fat level to match Kobe in a grind of regular beef and fat. It's all in the feed.
    Real kobe beef is rich as hell, it's like eating butter from the pot. I think between eating a cold torchon of foie gras and eating like, the same weight in shabu/sukiyaki Kobe, the foie is less rich to me and I'd get through it faster, the beef is really that rich.

5. impolyt_one

Riding a bike in a leather jacket does no more to test the actual leather than walking in the same jacket does, until you go down on the bike - and in that case, your leather jacket is likely to no longer exist.

6. impolyt_one

Woodyear, you know, you could just answer my short questionnaire I posted for you, this would speed things up so that I show everyone that you're wrong on the fuckin internet again.

7. Dbear

Dbear Well-Known Member

Woa dude, you're going over the line here.

I don't see how repeated insulting Drew and taking a huge shit in his thread is going to get him to produce a shearling leather for you.

Buying a couple of his leathers in the past doesn't entitle you to any of this...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  8. obiter dictum

obiter dictum Well-Known Member

Don't see why there's any need for that. It's just words on the Internet. The only stuff that should really register in your mind is the interesting content, the rest is just noise. Don't really see why you guys bother replying to his crap though. Such a waste of time.

The inane emails getting to him I can understand though, that's a more direct form of communcation and more or less requires a reply from the recipient.

A few months ago I was so sure I didn't want a TOJ1 because of the raglan shoulders, but after seeing that navy/cream a few days ago my resistance is quickly breaking down. Damn.

9. Carpenoctem

This isnt even remotely true, i get more wear on a jacket from riding in it for one season than i get in 5 yrs of occasional wear. Wind causes the leather to constantly move and flap, rain and bugs and rocks constantly abraid the leather, and acidity and salt from sweat are constantly absorbed into the leather.

Ive also been on the pavement like 4 times, with and without leather but have never destroyed a jacket because I dont ride in low quality stuff. I usually dont even ride in my tojs because ive seen that they dont really hold up to a real lowside. Vanson, langlitz, aero, schott are all companies based around riding, and use weirdly thick leathers which are super uncomfortable until theyre broken in, but you can slide on pavement in them all day and the only resultn is some added patina. A toj would be torn to ribbons. Not a condemnation just a fact, tojs arent meant for riding theyre meant for fashion and thats what i wear em for, though they do see the occasional ride when i know ill be spending more time off the bike than on.

10. impolyt_one

Honestly dude, and I was gonna say this yesterday but you kept banging on about shearling leather and shit you don't know about; I want people from this thread to go and buy a Langlitz, an Aero, or a Schott if they can afford to piss $1000 or $1500 on an experiment - because I know having seen thousands of orders from people and their measurement sets, that the jackets the aforementioned makers sell will fit horrendously on these people, and they're gonna be all the more happy to come back to TOJ and have a jacket that actually makes them look good. Regarding other makers, that's pretty much end of story IMO.

11. Carpenoctem

I didnt insult him i gave him a reality check. I do however remember him calling me a fucking idiot in all caps lol.

12. aether

aether Well-Known Member

what kind of bike?

13. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

I just bought a 1lb torchon for thanksgiving. It came with complimentary duck bacon. Yessss.

14. Carpenoctem

Wholeheartedly agree, ive discussed this with you before via email. Their patterning sucks, which is why i fuck w toj, your patterns are modern and slim and appealing to the eye. The construction on your jackets is great as well but lacks the reinforcement of those brands (double stitched seams, single piece sleeves and back, ballistic strength nylon thread, insanely thick and dense horsehide, etc) which make them so great for riding.

Ps schotts and vansons are like $500, aeros like $750 and langlitz like $1200, so enough with the weird price inflating youve been doing lately.

15. Carpenoctem

I ride a triumph speed triple.

16. impolyt_one

Dude what kind of reality is it when you're telling me my prices, based on no fundamental knowledge whatsoever? Is this real? Am I dead? You are gonna make have a nightmare about accounting books and shearling lambskin tonight.

17. bakatora

bakatora Well-Known Member

woodyear has always been a one-track minded troll. don't feed the troll guys. he's one of those people that reads a few things on the internet, takes it to be true, then suppresses all other information presented to him that counts against his own conclusion. it's the internet. he's never going to change his mind. he's just gonna keep trying to make everyone angry (see, troll).

18. impolyt_one

Duck bacon/fennel/orange salad, and then foie torchon with some piping hot toasted baguette, ftw. Maybe a sweet fruit on the side to compliment the foie. You don't need any turkey.

19. impolyt_one

I've eaten foie like 10 times this month inadvertently almost but now I feel like eating some foie torchon and charred sweet corn.

20. Carpenoctem

Im not telling you your prices, im telling you that if 3k id really the price point you arrived at then you need to go back to the drawing board. Seems like youre getting all comfy and complacent pushing out the same shit, and are unwilling, or unable to keep pumping out new, next level ideas which has been one of the best things about the brand so far.

Sometimes I get lazy in what I do and I need someone to point it out to me because I cant really see it at the time, its hard to really tell the truth and innovate constantly. You have the talent to do that, and i was excited to see what youd be able to do with a sheepskin flight jacket concept. Annoyed and dissapointed that youre using this "cost too much" bs as an excuse to not even try. You gotta stop listening to all these sheep, theyll bend over and get on all fours for you no matter what, thats the nature of internet forums with their weird social hierarchies. I know you dont give a shit what I have to say but keep it moving, keep innovating and manifesting the wealth of ideas in your mind, keep being creative. Otherwise youll get bored and your vision will suffer.