1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. halisray

halisray Well-Known Member

despite my disappointment, some of these responses definitely got a laugh. I mentioned to Charlie that I am bulking up a bit, but not looking to get huge (certainly not big enough for this to fit me). Just a bit of a miscommunication I guess.

Oh well, learned my lesson.

Shit happens, I'm sure someone will pick it up!

2. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

Jacket is a 50, measurements that were given: Height: 6’1. Chest: 37.5". Weight: 70kg
    I'm 15+ lbs heavier than you, slightly taller, and have a bigger chest, and take a slim 48. Wrong size. Sell, don't alter.

3. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

When you're ordering a jacket for an ambiguous size you think you might be in the future, that's going to throw a wrench into things ...

4. nickelcobalt

nickelcobalt Well-Known Member

Just wanna say a lengthened peacoat in shearling would be pretty dope for winter.

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

I'm back and forth on this issue because it really is case by individual case; basically woody, I would normally ask that you sell your jacket and re-order one with me (we are able to continue to make Baseball jackets) - but because of the delays involved with the first run of those jackets and the delay with the size chart (my fault) I can allow you to return that piece to me and I will send you one in a straight size 48, which is the size I think you need (feel free to correct me, after all, it is your jacket...)

Sizing TOJ clothes in general though- it really has less to do with Charly, me, or any other factor - the size charts I made and posted for many of the styles (past, present and future) in August 2009, when I was working on TOJ alone, and later on Charly, when he came on board, his job was primarily to process your orders, and offer sizing advice when needed. That became kind of a crutch for everybody it seemed, and IMO it got out of hand, unnecessarily. It's really not that hard to size the clothes. You just gotta measure yourself and the clothes you like to wear that make a reasonable baseline, and deduce your size on your own, because we can't do that for you in person - we're on the internet.
    The final sizing choice has always been up to the buyer, and I realize that most people realize this, but I've never even seen 75% of you and pictures don't always help. Anyway, there is no magic, no smoke and mirrors, no sizing wizardry.

6. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Well-Known Member

+1,000,000 Drew.

Honestly guys, follow your gut. When I ordered my jacket, Charly told me to stick with the standard shoulder size on the jacket I ordered, and I decided to bring it down a few inches. I'm glad I did because it would have been way too big otherwise (really happy with the way my jacket turned out). I am not knocking Charly at all. He had a tough "job" and really, it is easier for us to know what fits based on the measurements than for Charly to try and figure it out.

7. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

8. omgcookielol

omgcookielol Well-Known Member

Reading through the discussion on lamb vs. calf got me curious about the coats. What factors did you consider when you selected the blend and weave of wool used for the Peacoat and the Duffle? Do you think you'll continue to use the same thing if you release another coat?

I don't have a problem with the peacoat or the duffle (I love the duffle), but I was just wondering what you found advantageous about the fabric you used.

9. impolyt_one

Dude, I am not Hiroki Nakamura, lol. I just chose the nicest melton wool I could find for each individual project. It's a fairly standard material and then I customized it with a laminate back to give it more structure and a bit of wind resistance.

10. impolyt_one

Other news - the raffle:

I think we got an adequate set of entries for our data, and they've stopped coming in, so data raffle is closed as of my midnight (that's 7,5 hrs from when I post this)
    I am going through those mails and getting people their respective raffle numbers, and then we'll do the drawing. We'll print all the numbers on square tickets, cut them up, mix them up in a jar or a plastic bag or something, and then I'll pick one blind.

As I said, the drawing prize is for a TOJ 2nd Anniversary model jacket -
    I've decided this year to make two jackets, based on the feedback people gave. The Harrington and the MA-1. Nice contrasting pieces. Both will be lightweight jackets, in technical laminated nylon material, with the Harrington having a standard plaid lining. Option to do both in leather and suede for an upcharge.

11. Dbear

Dbear Well-Known Member

Nice! Pricing?

12. omgcookielol

omgcookielol Well-Known Member

Wow dude. Huge let down. I got the popcorn ready and everything. lol Was really looking forward to an epic tale describing the perils you undertook while searching for the TOJ fabric. Something with drama, frustration, tangents about button sizing, and the obligatory restaurant analogy that ties everything together at the end.

13. woody^^

woody^^ Well-Known Member

Drew totally didn't have to do that for me (I realise I'm at fault). It's a credit to him that he did. Thanks very much!

Aaaaaaaand now if TOJ will actually deal with me again ([​IMG]), and the price is right, that anniversary MA-1 sounds like the sort of tech jacket I have been looking for....

14. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

Other news - the raffle: I think we got an adequate set of entries for our data, and they've stopped coming in, so data raffle is closed as of my midnight (that's 7,5 hrs from when I post this) I am going through those mails and getting people their respective raffle numbers, and then we'll do the drawing. We'll print all the numbers on square tickets, cut them up, mix them up in a jar or a plastic bag or something, and then I'll pick one blind. As I said, the drawing prize is for a TOJ 2nd Anniversary model jacket - I've decided this year to make two jackets, based on the feedback people gave. The Harrington and the MA-1. Nice contrasting pieces. Both will be lightweight jackets, in technical laminated nylon material, with the Harrington having a standard plaid lining. Option to do both in leather and suede for an upcharge.
    Someone get this man a blowjob [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Well-Known Member

Ooo might kop harrington!

16. Biggen

Biggen Well-Known Member

Definietly gonna get a Harrington. Been contemplating a purchase for a couple of years so time to pull the trigger now when I got the chance to get a well fitting one.

17. Dbear

Dbear Well-Known Member

Same exact design on the Harrington and ma-1?

18. Wang03

Wang03 Well-Known Member

^ also curious about that. As well, will you be making samples?
    I can't decide between a Harrington and a ma1, but definitely will be getting at least one

19. mreggen

mreggen Well-Known Member

Jacket is a 50, measurements that were given: Height: 6’1. Chest: 37.5". Weight: 70kg
    I think something weird happened here. Baseball is also my first ToJ, and looking at my mails with charly I gave him the measurements 5'8'', 80kg, 41.5" chest and we ended up on a 48. Actually a 49, but Drew decided against odd sizes I think. I haven't actually received mine yet, so I'm still antsy about it being too slim, but seeing your enormous 50 tells me it was right to go down and not up.

20. altemp

altemp Well-Known Member

Oh sick I was waiting on the ma-1, put me down for one. I was going to post a couple hours ago asking if the anniversary was coming along any time soon so I could decide on current/future purchases.