1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

:lol:

:facepalm: goddammit … why does everyone keep assuming that just because he is in SK that all litigation or remedy must occur/originate there and/or be handled under Korean law? If some guy in Mongolia rips me off do you seriously think I need to fly to Mongolia to sue him? Looking at you @Gruff and btw… yes... I have plenty of colleagues and point people who are attorneys in Seoul that could be contacted and referred to the plaintiffs if necessary.

...and unfortunately LA Guy is correct in that you are not going to get your $800 back… but it might not be a pittance either if an action is filed and he's facing a lawsuit and potential six-figure settlement. Even before filing the action you might be surprised what a nicely worded letter from an attorney can accomplish… just saying. There is an opportunity cost of course, but it really depends on the collective mentality. Is it "lesson learned, just move on"…. or "I'll be damned some mofo is gonna open a restaurant on my dime even if it costs me $300". Personally I am of the latter… mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. skeen7908

skeen7908 Well-Known Member

That is exactly his point

If the fraud had come to be accepted earlier it might still be covered by paypal/credit card dispute policies

For what its worth, I was calling fraud from the very earliest stages and was repeatedly told to shut up.

Oh well, I dont have any jackets on order

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

I disagree. The things that got Drew off his ass is people exerting pressure on his restaurant. If he's indeed selling Libertine, then yes -- it matters a lot whether we exerted that pressure a year ago vs. today.

3 people like this.
  4. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

^ In response to this it may be hard for some more ethical?/reasonable? folks to understand, but some people are just assholes. Maybe Drew is one of them. I've been in negotiation situations where normal tactics are appropriate and after some back and forth a compromise is reached. There have been others, however, in which I've recognized that sheer intimidation, threat and use of power is the only currency carrying weight and if not brought to bear on the subject full force they are just intransigent. I can't psychoanalyze Mr. Keith here, but clearly more of the latter and less of the former is called for if anything is going to happen.

5. skeen7908

First articulated in October 2014.

FEBRUARY 2014

4 people like this.
  6. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Well-Known Member

Imagine if the great revolutionaries and leaders of human history listened to all this pitiful, cowardly advice.

"Yeah don't fight back. Don't stand up for what you believe in. You just can't change anything! It's impossible..."

True, we will never gain our two years back, but for some of us, we will regain our honuor; our precious, asian honour...

1 person likes this.
  7. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Well-Known Member

Quote:

4 people like this.
  8. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Well-Known Member

Laughed so fucking hard at this. Can't bold enough.

9. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

If you call my posts defending, you should get a better lawyer the next time you get sued.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  10. Find Finn

People ordered daypacks and wallets after the one year mark, so I find that highly doubtful on a good day.

11. DarjeelingMan

DarjeelingMan New Member

Is Drew Keith even his real name? If he changes his name, country, or hair all this Drew Keith bullshit will not stick and he will disappear for a while and reappear as Krew Deith.

He is a liar. He has his PayPal address in Japan. He skirts customs. It's not exactly hard to change your name, and with that all these efforts will go to waste.

This won't accomplish anything at all. Slandering someone who may or may not be Drew Keith is fucking stupid.

By now of course, Drew is in hot water with his associates and hates them. The restaurant is already in the process of being sold so that is a dead end.

If you let Drew Keith slither away now, I guarantee we will never see him again under that name.

This shit is not a solution. This is a way to make people feel like they are accomplishing something and channeling their anger onto an unproductive path.

What kind of Korean surname is Keith anyway?

12. Find Finn

If you followed the forum, you would have seen he had posted. Where he grew up, went to school etc. etc., so it's not at all difficult to find his relatives on fb etc.. It took me less than 30 sec.

So if you want to go that route, it's not difficult at all.

13. TheObserver

TheObserver Well-Known Member

He probably changed both his surname and given name. I have some acquaintances who don't have English names and they changed both names for communication and business purposes.

14. diniro

diniro Well-Known Member

I know an Asian guy who's last name is Trina, with a similar story but involves his grandparents

15. skeen7908

I didn't realize black people were renowned as conmen

16. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

Eat them words buddy because it's happened! :nodding:

17. Melbush

Melbush Well-Known Member

The only question I want to ask is: what is the current state of production? Are there jackets that are being made now, or are all the jackets that have been shipped over the last weeks just leftovers that have been sitting in the warehouse for months?
    I don't care about the wait anymore, just want to get the jacket I paid for

18. Gruff

Gruff Well-Known Member

Ok, again, great. You've self-identified as a practicing attorney with what I assume are relevant skills, and you seem to have all the angles worked out, so i'm asking you point blank: are you going to take the lead on legal action in this matter on the behalf of aggrieved parties? Are you going to pay all the costs, contact all your "colleagues and point people" in SK and get the ball started rolling? Will you collect all the necessary evidence, including contacting every single person with an outstanding order so you can get their information and they can be included in the lawsuit? Will you deal with any setbacks if/when they occur? Will you basically take time out of your (probably) busy life to spearhead an international class action lawsuit and see it through to resolution? Pro bono, of course, because you really want all these guys to get their money back, right, Mr. Bull-By-The-Horns?

All I need is a simple answer from you: yes, i'll do this or no, I won't. Which is it?

By the way, i'm not disputing you that U.S. law is somehow relevant in this situation or that this situation is somehow untouchable because an incompetent businessman is located in SK. What i'm saying is that people here are making bold claims about "action" without thinking through all the necessary work that it implies or if it's even really a viable option.

19. RetroFuture

RetroFuture Well-Known Member

20. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Dude, for the longest time, I had to debate with you whether there were even orders being shipped out. Your view for the longest time was that a lot of orders were being shipped, and they were just missing StyFo members (ie people were being unfair to Drew). It took the spreadsheet to get you to shut up.

You also had a ton of posts telling people in here that there's no point in complaining, they should just sit and wait patiently for their order. This was even after things were well past the one year delay mark.

4 people like this.