1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. hens

hens Active Member

Got an email from who I can only guess is drew asking for confirmation of whether I have relieved my two jackets. So it looks like wheels are still turning over there.

A somewhat good sign for those still waiting on jackets.

2. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

You funny!

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

This. I've worked with a decent number of models and women who are in magazines or whatever. Not only is there a ton of makeup and styling work, but the photos are doctored, a lot. The shape of the body is changed in subtle and not so subtle ways (for example, the natural small belly that pretty nearly all women not in a very narrow body type range have, is nearly always taken out), and cheekbones are often raised. There are women without cellulite, no doubt, but even professional athletes with pretty pretty low BF have it.

4. masshi

masshi Well-Known Member

dude, i'm in my last year of college. of course i've taken courses of that sort - cultural standards, ideas of self-image, ego/ethnocentricity and whatever else, i get

don't condescend to me on the basis of my being young either, since, if anything, the lot of you need to work on being less uptight and sensitive (funnily enough the diminishments of which are supposed to come with being older)

but regardless, to address both you and tradernick:

1. no, you can't just deem something a non-issue by the sole virtue of its being "natural", nor is there anything wrong with subscribing to cultural standards (since everybody does it, anyway). is cellulite aesthetically unpleasing - yes or no? much like something like acne and an oily complexion, which i personally have, it's not. consequently, i, as well as many others, do a lot to both combat and subdue that shit, despite its being "natural".

whether or not our complexions are something we're ashamed of due to cultural standards or our own insecurities is irrelevant - it's seen as an issue by many and that's that.

i mean, i don't even get where you guys are trying to go with this "but it's natural!" argument since, like i mentioned above, everybody subscribes to cultural standards.

it's "natural" to grow hairs in your unibrow area.
    it's "natural" to grow long, visible nose hairs.
    it's "natural" to have oily hair.
    it's "natural" to not smell like soap, deodorant, cologne/perfume, and/or whatever else.
    it's "natural" to grow out your facial hair indefinitely (whether man or woman!).
    etc.

are you telling me that neither you nor tradernick partake in any grooming or hygiene upkeep of any kind because you guys both embrace "natural" so much and don't believe in what society deems attractive?

do you two (assuming you're both straight) not find it unattractive when a woman has a hairy upper lip or hairy pits or whatever? cause it'd be hypocritical not to by your guys' own words.

so yeah, if somebody suffers from something that i and many others find visually unappealing, like cellulite, or acne, or early balding, or whatever else, then yes, i'm gonna feel bad cause i don't live in a vacuum devoid of culture and i'm a naturally sympathetic person

2. geez, fashunz is just a part of what i spend my not-spent-on-food money on. and where did i ever claim that what i'm doing is "normal"? seriously, quote where i did (or even implied it).

is this what happens when i grow older? start putting shit in others' mouths (maybe literally too!)? can hardly wait

... yeah, that's cutting down, bro

i'll own up to it being stupid or whatever, but for the current me it works

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    2 people like this.
  5. masshi

masshi Well-Known Member

also, i'm sorry, guys, but i rarely ever see cellulite in person

didn't know that most women eventually develop it

6. nyarkies

nyarkies Well-Known Member

THE NEW OFFICIAL TOJ THREAD - UPDATES, COMPLAINTS, AND NOW WITH 80% MORE CELLULITE.

The thread title needs to be as dynamic as the TOJ exchange thread.

8 people like this.
  7. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

You should write a book about how you turned cookies into a leather jacket.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Well-Known Member

masshi has never seen a real live naked lady before [​IMG]

9. flowcharts

flowcharts Well-Known Member

Cutting out the cookies with all that refined sugar would probably help out with the acne problem [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  10. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

every single time I check this thread, I swear I'll never read it again. Every single time. And I can't do it, so I click, and every single time I do, this thread has hit a new low.

31 people like this.
  11. nyarkies

nyarkies Well-Known Member

It's all part of the human instrumentality project, Asuka.

2 people like this.
  12. FatCatPhil

FatCatPhil Well-Known Member

I bet you felt the same after every episode of Lost. But it keeps dragging you in, the TOJ sun consumed all its fuel and only left this black hole of a thread where the concentrated mass of cool kids are randomly warping private memes across the fashionsphere.

13. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Well-Known Member

I think masshi might have autism or something and is honestly clueless about how dumb he seems to normal human beings

14. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Well-Known Member

This is just as bad, if not worse, than the cellulite comment.

8 people like this.
  15. Distorbiant

dont virgin shame

nothing wrong with being a virgin (i respect women)

16. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

Exactly something a virgin would say.

2 people like this.
  17. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Well-Known Member

i wasn't being mean

i genuinely felt bad since, as somebody who also has virgin issues, i can empathize

lighten up and don't perceive everything so negatively

5 people like this.
  18. diorhomie

diorhomie Member

Looking to buy a TOJ1 2011 Varsity (black on black) or a TOJ0 2013 in a size 48. Please PM if you have one for sale! Thanks

19. tradernick

tradernick Well-Known Member

The long post above by masshi is one of the most incoherent things I've ever read, on the internet or anywhere else. It signals the end of my participation here. The pathos in this thread has been something to see

Good luck to those who still wait for jackets/other product. We can only hope that one day, those who orchestrated this monumental fuck-up and didn't even have the decency to provide a mea culpa get a bit of payback.

20. Distorbiant

I wouldn't be a virgin anymore if I had gotten the leather jacket I ordered 2 years ago

11 people like this.