• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well if you didn't want to search or read back a couple pages where the same thing was asked. Lamb is BY FAR the softest leather offered. Calf doesn't really drape.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which would you say drapes/does a slim fit better, calf or lamb?  (Broad shoulders small waist sorta build).  I like the look of lamb better but some of the draping on the calf mdr/dr looks pretty good curious for people/veteran TOJ's thoughts.

Lamb is easily the softest as cyc wid it says, but because it is so light I think it tends to "flare out" more than calf. Calf is heavy and falls straight down.

By flare out, I mean something like this:

Personally, the olive calf is my favorite leather and I own two (brown and black) lambskins. That said, I think the navy and black lamb is nicer than my brother's brown calf.

gong

Reaction score
his jacket is only "flaring out" because it's brand new and calf does that as well

rbnman

Reaction score
cheers. i'll check in with charly to confirm. Now other than excellas operating more smoothly, are there any cosmetic differences between standard YKK silver VS excella zips? it sounds like excellas are more silver/shiner? it would be great to get some feedback on how they differ in looks.

Have confirmed that wool MA comes with std YKK silver zips. Not excella. Other than excella being smoother to zip, does it look different to the standard YKK silver zips?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excella YKK also adds girth to *********

Golf54

Reaction score
Hey guys,

(please read if you are considering a TOJ blacklamb, mods please remove if this is inappropriate, I understand there is a F/S section but I thought this might be relevant considering the prolonged waiting period for TOJ's)

I put up an order for a black lamb MDR on the 31st of July

I need money for school, etc and wanted to cancel it but I couldn't as the material has already been purchased.

I'm willing to sell my position if anyone is interested, obviously limited to a "black lambskin" jacket but the turn around time will be very quick.

Please shoot me a PM! Thanks

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

this might sound ridiculous but i successfully shrank my year old black lamb jacket slightly. i gave it a 10 minute hot shower (5 front, 5 back), and a day later i stuck it in the dryer for 15 minutes while it was wrapped in a pillow case and padded with some towels. i don't think the dryer did anything cause it was barely warm when it came out. i let it dry for about 4-5 more days while it was laying down on a towel (no hanger). anyway, i really like the results. it took about a half inch everywhere, and the sleeves seem like they shrank about an inch. it fits better everywhere since i lost some weight. the zipper is now *slightly* wavy since the jacket lost some length. the color is much more matte, but i like it better this way. the leather has tightened up and the grain has come out (jacket is seeming a little crispy, leather is a little stiffer). i'm gonna wear it a bit, will decide whether or not to condition it depending on how much of the shine comes back, if it does at all. hopefully the sleeves / length stays the same. all in all, success
I would suggest conditioning. Maybe do some experimenting to find out which conditioner is least shiny, but after doing something that is kind of hard on the leather, you should add back some nourishment. You can't fix cracking once it happens (although you probably aren't close to that yet)...conditioning after the fact just leaves you with soft feeling cracks.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hi Guys,

Can I use the following shampoo http://store.thelaundress.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=135woolCash to handwash my TOJ navy peacoat?
I just don't like the chemical smell of dry cleaning you see.

I don't see why not (I mean...dry cleaning is just a giant washing machine that uses chemicals instead of water, it's not special).

The hard part is going to be getting the coat back into shape when you are done. I don't know what is called for in drying and pressing a peacoat, but doing it nicely to a suit is not as easy. Of course most dry cleaners also press suits in a poor manner...

If you have a cleaner you trust, I suppose you could wash it yourself and then take it to them for pressing only.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my unglazed goat A-2 after a few wears. I went for a looser fit so I could layer under it. Think I might have overdone the length a little. Thoughts? Too long?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads