1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Fok please bring Ed Hardy, I want to see it.

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Everlane to drive the marketing and production.

3. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

I wish I could fit this entire post as a quote in my signature.

But please god not the patternmaking.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Ah. Yeah, they could. I could not see a MTM jacket going for $850 though. That's crazy. Maybe with a slight changes allowed, yes, but not full on MTM. Maybe 2 tiers. RTW at $850 or so (which is at that budget baller level that is ToJ's bread and butter) and then MTM starting at $1200 or something. Hard to do this type of thing at scale. Actually more economical when you are really small.

5. Coldsnap

Their cuts really suck? How da fuck do you mess up a T shirt or a sweatshirt.

6. notwithit

I think 100% RTW with limited options (standard zippers, no messing with configurations, limited colors) would make sense more so than a mix. Maybe an option to add or subtract length with an upcharge, but full MTM seems crazy difficult to scale.

Apparently their u-neck t-shirt (no longer offered AFAIK) had a negative drop (as in, got bigger from the chest to the hem). Also, their button-front shirts used to have nice high armholes at one point, but they later sank down into the pit of mediocrity shared by mall brands the world over (I think it was sometime around when they switched production to China).

1 person likes this.
  7. Dbear

Dbear Well-Known Member

Is everlane still around? I thought they would die off years ago when they first came out. They advertised it as high end goods for cheap prices, except it was 95% marketing as their products weren't even on the level of Uniqlo. At least Uniqlo is real about it.

"Oh hi im everlane here is this ridiculously nice and soft and premium supima cotton tee that should retail for $100+ but here it is for $15 because we cut out the middle man!"

"Oh hi i'm uniqlo, come check out our soft and premium supima cotton tees for $12.90"

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  8. Coldsnap

Haha, I was way off then. For some reason I thought Everlane was doing a good job at minimalist basics for a decent price, although now I realize that impression was made like 4 years ago (time goes fast).

9. notwithit

Yeah, and they just came out with a knit blazer so cropped that it would probably hit around your belt buckle. They're charging $165 for it, and it's sold out in most sizes: https://www.everlane.com/collections/mens-jackets/products/mens-merino-blazer-black

As far as cheap tees are concerned, I'm pretty well swayed over to these guys' camp: http://www.grana.com/men/peruvian-pima-tshirts.html

10. jakeld

jakeld Member

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  11. LA Guy

As long as you have a dedicated, streamlined, production line, and limited options, it can be done. Gucci, Armani, Tom Ford, etc..., use this as a big upsell. And there are tons of internet startups that are doing limited MTM suits. The technology is there. What is really difficult is to get a good fitter. Humans, as usually, fuck things up.

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Things are certainly fucked up with ToJ, but I don't think that it was the fitting that was the issue...

13. LA Guy

As a challenge, I would absolutely do this. "Designing for yourself" has got to be one of the mentally laziest things. Succeeding in getting into someone else's head is so much more rewarding.

For example, I just talked to Shaun at Honourmark, and we are going to begin sampling for our collaborative project. For production, which we want to bring in at under $1000, hopefully closer to the $900 mark, we will probably will use goat. Goat is super strong for its weight, drapes right away, like lamb, but will not shred like lamb, and will age much better than does lamb. We are also strongly considering it because it is a leather with some character, but not a super heavy grain. I think that this is perfect for a fashion leather.

This is not the leather I am choosing for my own jacket. I am choosing bison, which has a ton of character, and in a weight of 3-4 ounces, which is like a midweight motorcycle jacket. So, it will be nearly as heavy as a motorcycle jacket (less leather, so it will be lighter, but it will definitely not be lightweight), and it will be in the shape of a fashion jacket. Just the weight alone would not be appealing to a lot of fashion leather customers, but it suits my particular and rather entrenched style.

1 person likes this.
  14. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Not gonna lie, Balmain still makes the best plain white T I've ever owned. Rick ones don't really mesh with most of what I wear, but I might buy one just to try. The rest of my nicer T's are JE/W+H. Uniqlo beaters I guess? I think I have 1 or 2.

1 person likes this.
  15. MiamiLex

MiamiLex Well-Known Member

Pm'ed

16. TheObserver

TheObserver Well-Known Member

Hang in there! It's almost done... almost.

17. StPauli

StPauli Well-Known Member

One or two full leather spots for sale if you are still looking.

18. pyroxyze

pyroxyze Well-Known Member

Going along those lines, have a November Moto Spot. Can be changed to a MDR or DR or any other leather. PM me if you want to talk.

19. pistolero

pistolero Well-Known Member

I remember Drew or Charly saying a while back that something like 90% of ToJ's customers do not need MTM and would fit just fine into the stock sizes. So I never understood why Drew didn't go this route once it became clear that there was sufficient demand for his products. As someone who does need MTM, I would have gladly paid an upcharge.

20. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Well-Known Member

I'm really excited to see where this goes. As someone who is a goat convert, and at the risk of being redundant from an earlier post, I believe people are going to be really shocked when they see the qualities of goat hide. I honestly believe the only reason that it's not used more is the perception of the animal that it comes from. Bison is also a very cool choice, tons and tons of character there!
    A quick shot of black goat:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.