1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Justo

Justo Well-Known Member

It's goat

yup my bad, i got them mixed up; they switched out the goat for calf

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  2. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Well-Known Member

Goat is pebbled but also grained, there is no grain here. It's too uniform, it's pebbled cowhide. (i.e. it's been embossed with the pebbling)

Edit: Goat is a beautiful leather, this is quite obviously nothing special, although it is the bottom of a back pack so I'm not sure you'd expect much more than this.

Goat looks like:

[​IMG]

3. Raindrop

Raindrop Well-Known Member

Pebbled cowhide

4. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

fwiw, my original daypack does not use pebbled calf. harharharhaharharharharhahrarharharharharharharhar laff in yo face.

3 people like this.
  5. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Well-Known Member

Isn't that horsehide that thurston uses

6. ChrisGold

No, that is Aero Goat. This is another one of my jackets with Thurston's Veg tanned HH below: The goat is also Veg tanned. You can see that they can be hard to tell apart at first glance, but the grain is deeper on the horse, and the pebbling is more pronounced on the goat. Not sure if that comes out in photos but in person it is more noticeable.

If it's not that noticeable, then my point about goat is well made. Goat is a gorgeous leather (when well tanned) and extremely durable. The downside to goat is that it does not wear and patina like HH or cow. It tends to stay looking new much longer. But to the original topic, that backpack is NOT goat.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  7. fishtacologin

fishtacologin Well-Known Member

Any ideas on how I could get a black ma-1 in size 46 or close this late in the game?

8. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Well-Known Member

Great leathers. Hope to own an Aero A2 one day in horsehide, once my career picks up.

Btw, for anyone interested in Lewis Leathers, their wait times are 6-8 weeks. Vanson should have the slim fit daredevil ready soon as well.

9. rbnman

rbnman Well-Known Member

Well its clear they are using a different leather from earlier daypacks. I've never heard of TOJ using pebbled calf/cow leather before for any product and my issue is with the change in spec without informing the buyers, regardless of how small a change one may perceive this to be.

If the switch in leather was done for a reason, it would be good to know why. Otherwise I'm expecting Drew to repeat history and using this as an excuse as to why the next batch daypacks will take another 6 months, just as the zipper issue.

10. ChrisGold

I don't think that it's a small change or non-issue. If the previous packs were smooth calf than this is a major change, especially since it's a design change. I'm sure there was a spec that was stated for this batch of packs?

11. rbnman

rbnman Well-Known Member

I agree, I don't think its a small change either. They initially used unglazed goat, then swapped to smooth TOJ calf (not sure if this was half weight or heavy calf) for more durability and perhaps better structure and they advised of this change.

This pebble leather came out of nowhere.

12. MauriSSio

MauriSSio Well-Known Member

Good thing it's just a backpack.

1 person likes this.
  13. rbnman

rbnman Well-Known Member

good thing it's just $385 USD

14. nyarkies

nyarkies Well-Known Member

Who knows. Maybe the recently shipped and still to be made leather jackets in calf will be pebbled. Lol!

15. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Well-Known Member

So Charly is taking care of emails and such out of good will? Will he be paid when all jackets have shipped? If not we should buy him something. None of this is his fault.

16. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Well-Known Member

I've e-mailed Charly like 5 times in the past few days to ask him to change my DR to pebbled foreskin but he hasn't responded yet. Should I message his SF handle?

17. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

No, you need to cut off a piece of your own foreskin to be replicated using cutting edge stem cell research at Sruli Recht's lab first. You'll need to wait about fifteen years for your foreskin to be large enough to tan and process into a leather jacket, but don't worry! TOJ promises to deliver in 2030.

18. ricepick

ricepick Active Member

Sorry which PayPal account so I send the money to and how much?? I want baby blue

19. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Well-Known Member

Foreskin leather joke getting old.

2 people like this.
  20. masshi

masshi Well-Known Member

I'm sure you could easily sell it off if it bothers you that much

from what I've noticed people on this forum run everything into the ground

idk what it is about being a dude who's into fashion, but apparently it neuters your aptitude for humor

3 people like this.