1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

I swear, this thread is for people who'd believe anything. Drew makes a knock-off of a Givenchy all-black varsity (which I like, but c'mon now...), then he gets to draw a line in the sand and claim everyone else is copying....who, him? An unknown? Get with it, cyc with it. You are better than this, my man. :D

Also: Remember when APC 'ripped-off'' ToJ? :lol:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Well-Known Member

I heard drew invented the varsity jacket

4 people like this.
  3. mike868y

mike868y Well-Known Member

iirc drew was never anything but honest about the fact that all his jackets were remakes of designs which had been around for years.

4 people like this.
  4. noob in 89

I mean, you can Google pics of the Biebs rockin' that varsity a year before ToJ invented it, the piece that was once called their signature jacket. That's why it's doubly confounding or shitty to hear these other people derided as rip-offs.

5. fungz0r

fungz0r Well-Known Member

The large YKK zippers are sure nice

6. ro0ts

ro0ts Member

Correct. The guy never claimed to invent motos, riders, bombers, or varsities, which would be ridiculous. But he did note it was odd to see the HoB guy start offering identical products (I think the example was the reversible varsity from 2009 or 2010).

Either way, personally that CS/HoB stuff always seemed overpriced and over the top with questionable execution. To each their own, I guess.

3 people like this.
  7. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

The HoB offerings were almost 1:1 with Drew's varsity right after he relaunched it with the reversible option.

Noob, you've been pretty pointlessly shitty for a while now fwiw. Other threads too, but mostly here.

8. Death24xASecond

Death24xASecond Well-Known Member

Went to check this House of Billiam stuff since I wasn't familiar. I do wish they offered more variety (something closer to the MDR!) but I really liked some of the possible make-ups for the high-neck varsity. And the price is pretty attractive, though I'd have to read a few user reviews first.

9. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Getting indignant about people copying designs in fashion seems ridiculous, unless you want to take a moral stance on it against the whole industry. Copying is everywhere. Designers commonly send other company's pieces to the factory so that they can copy the cut/ fit. Sometimes even the fabrics and details. Sometimes even the entire piece.

There are stories (admittedly of somewhat questionable veracity) of designers sending vintage or thrift store finds down the runway -- pieces they did not design, but claimed to.

MMM has an entire line called replica. There's an entire Japanese workwear industry that's built on copying vintage garments. Celine copied Vans slip ons and made them with different materials. Common Projects are more or less a rip off of Stan Smiths. Chloe's Susan boots are basically just a a rip off of something Gianni Versace did for men in the '80s. Alexander Wang is constantly lifting ideas from other designers.

Right now, there's a ton of people on StyleForum waiting for Vanson to duplicate a moto jacket that Junya designed. AFAIK, it'll be the exact same jacket too, and nobody is complaining about that here.

Etc etc etc.

The problem with HoB/ CS isn't that they're copying. The problem is that their stuff is ugly.

4 people like this.
  10. Death24xASecond

Death24xASecond Well-Known Member

I don't much like Cloth Surgeon--something about every fit seems weirdly "off" but it's hard to go wrong with varsity jackets. Plus, Billiam offers a makeup, or did, in Harris tweed--something that'll win me over every time.

11. dieworkwear

Where was your moral indignation when someone posted a cheaper rip-off version of Celine's slip-ons, and you said you wanted a pair?

1 person likes this.
  12. noob in 89

Sorry you feel that way -- I just made a suggestion to someone who didn't get their jacket or their money back. I've been shitty here because I recommended toj to people who are now sort of angry. The whole thing is kind of shitty, tbh.

13. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Those are not a 1:1 of Celine's IIRC both colorway and minor details and nope, have not kopped.

14. dieworkwear

? It's basically the same exact shoe, and perhaps more importantly, is a rip off of the concept -- which admittedly Celine popularized (the Vans slip on in a more luxurious/ exotic material). The pony hair slip on is exactly Celine's thing. If you're basing your judgement on whether or not the material is exactly the same, well of course not -- the rip off company is likely too small to spec their own materials, so they have to rely on readily available fabrics. They tried to get something that looked as close to the original as possible, and you can see the intent. HoB/ CS doesn't use the same exact material as ToJ either. Very few companies go through that kind of effort to spec materials like that when they rip something off, except for Japanese workwear brands, where their customers are buying those repros for exactly that reason.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In fact, that entire site Finn linked is just a site where someone rips off a bunch of sneaker designs and offers them at a lower price. Common Projects, Giuseppe Zanotti, Celine, etc are all on there.. You didn't give Finn grief for recommending that site, however. You showed interest. But in this thread, you feel fine giving other people grief for considering HoB/ CS.

Hell, that site even ripped off photos of Luca R. and Eugene T to promote their knockoffs.

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Celine doesn't make mens shoes, as far as I remember.

Wouldn't say I recommended it I just fell over it and as before mentioned Celine doesn't make mens, it could be an option and you could say that about a lot of brands Svensson has a CP Achilles and a GAT, also every high street chain in the world does the exact same thing, I believe Diemme made a pony sneaker as well.

They are all on the same Margom sole, so I suspect the only thing that is lower, is the mark up.

Last but not least, there's a big difference in mentioning something in RFT vs here.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  16. Raindrop

Raindrop Well-Known Member

We're still wearing the same jackets designed since WWI.

17. dieworkwear

I have zero problem with people copying designs. Just bothered me that cyc wid it called someone "needlessly shitty" and parroted something Drew said. Despite the fact that he wanted to buy a knocked off design just a couple of weeks ago.

Why? This is a community thread. Drew hasn't paid for this thread in years.

18. brokeassp

brokeassp Well-Known Member

hope wallets ship soon.

19. BaronVonBishop

BaronVonBishop Well-Known Member

So did deliveries stop again?

Seems like when things get rowdy, a shipment goes out then it's back to radio silence.

20. chenm0416

chenm0416 Well-Known Member

Anyone else want to bug Charly to bug Drew to update with me? Pretty sad that's the only way to get anything out of him at this point.