1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. PDinh

PDinh Well-Known Member

Yeah the MA-1 is only available in black lamb. Wanted a black goat one but no go.

2. Death24xASecond

Death24xASecond Well-Known Member

Oh here we go again. I'm beginning to think the internet is split between people who firmly believe a high-end lamb jacket is something that lasts "a couple of seasons" and those who firmly believe that is not the case. Guess I'll just find out for myself over the next 2-3 years.

3. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for my ToJ and Margiela lamb jackets to disintegrate spontaneously. They're overdue by a few seasons already.

6 people like this.
  4. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

My Lamb Jacket better last more than a few seasons. you're all making me want to upgrade to calf.

5. aphelan

aphelan Well-Known Member

My lamb is holding up just fine.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Joona

Joona Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I have already said this, but since we are at this conversation again..
    My old man is still wearing his now ~24 - 25 year old lamb jacket - and it looks awesome. Quality lambskin in daily use will more likely hold up just fine for decades than just next few seasons.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  7. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

I'd imagine conversations like this one are a big part of why Drew's not super keen on staying in the struggle-student-saving-up-for-a-jacket market. It probably sounds harsh to a lot of people who may never end up buying a luxury fashion jacket (or if a ToJ is their first "nice" clothing), but goddamn enough already.
    Measurement e-mails and hassle/lack of efficiency being the driving force behind abandoning MTM.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    7 people like this.
  8. fungz0r

fungz0r Well-Known Member

Maybe hirst meant a couple decade seasons, like 60 years and then the lamb might not be so good anymore. I've had a 2010dr for 4+(?) years or so, pretty darn worn but still great

9. SmileForum

SmileForum Well-Known Member

Ehh no matter the price range, whenever I hear someone says "couple/few seasons", for any piece of clothing or shoes, I really question how awful these people are taking care of their things.

3 people like this.
  10. Potsnu

Potsnu Well-Known Member

Busted out the black/yellow varsity, it started to snow. Went to grab umbrella and still got hit with a few wet stains :confused:

It'll blend out when I have to condition it later, but kinda sucks.

My brown, navy, and black lamb has had water droplets before but the dark colour hides any stains. Need to check the forecast next time!

11. Hirsh

Hirsh Well-Known Member

Looking good! How long have you had it? Do you wear it often??? My fave leather is black Japanese calf,but mto is ££££s!:)

12. Hirsh

Hirsh Well-Known Member

Maybe it's because I exclusively wear leather or sheepskin coats/jackets that they wear out..

Having said that, I bought my black sheepskin coat in Paris in 2000, and I think I can still get AW2015/16 before it wears out...:):):)

13. Death24xASecond

Death24xASecond Well-Known Member

Isn't that a bit like wearing the same pair of boots every day and then complaining that it doesn't last too long? Hence the very concept of rotation, etc. I can't imagine wearing the same jacket (lamb, calf, or unicorn hide) every day, or even remotely near that frequently.

14. Hirsh

Hirsh Well-Known Member

I guess you must have a much bigger wardrobe than me lol

I don't have much - what I do have is expensive- and I wear my favourites to death without much rotation:)

15. cococard

cococard Active Member

Guys need help on leather choices:

What is the difference and up-down side to the GOAT, CALF, or LAMB jackets....

This is for a MDR in black.

Gracias,

JCD

16. Hirsh

Hirsh Well-Known Member

I'm not too hot on jargon, but if you mean you need it for a motorbike, then horsehide will protect you best:)

Lamb nappa is a luxury leather for babying...

Don't know if that helped?????

17. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Well-Known Member

Hirsh, I know you're trying to be a helpful member of the community here, but giving your opinion on a product you've never seen (IRL) isn't of any real use to anyone.

The MDR specifically refers to ToJ's Minimalist Double Rider. Many examples of which can be seen here. It has got nothing to do with riding bikes, it's just a style of jacket.

@cococard , I own a black calf MDR, and would definitely recommend that choice over lamb (of which I own an MA-1 and a BCDR). In terms of my preference, I just feel the calf fits the style much better than lamb, it's sturdier, tougher, and feels like it drapes and molds to my body in a way that's nicer for this style of jacket than lamb does. Having said that, the lamb definitely does not need to be babied, it's fine for every-day wear.

No opinion on goat as I've not had a chance to see ToJ's goat first-hand.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    10 people like this.
  18. Potsnu

Potsnu Well-Known Member

Goat is actually a bit under rated, I used to hate that pebble texture but now I've grown to love it.

I think brown goat on the bomber is a nice alternative to the lamb. But I've come to realize there's two variations of goat that TOJ carries. The grey is a lot more durable and thicker rougher feel, but still overall soft. But my Yellow Goat is actually super supple, equally supple as their lamb skin as well.

Regardless of what type of leather you get, I think you'll be very happy with the outcome.

19. Gauss17

Gauss17 Well-Known Member

If I was going to get a black MDR, I would go for black goat without question.

20. Steel28

Steel28 Well-Known Member

Received my 4 zip lamb Moto about a week ago (excela/bemberg combo). Quality is A+++. I think the fit is great.

thanks to TOJ team. Now waiting for my A2.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9 people like this.