1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Death24xASecond

Death24xASecond Well-Known Member

You going to order a TOJ soon?

2. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Well-Known Member

3. Death24xASecond

Neat, what'd you finally order?

4. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Irrelevant, he'll change it again by next week.

7 people like this.
  5. SmileForum

SmileForum Well-Known Member

6. Distorbiant

I just switched from a tan quilted moto 2011 with gunmetal zips to a Sherwood calf suede QDR. But that might change because Charlie REFUSES to give me the diagonal pocket slanted at 45 degrees rather than 35. Dealbreaker imo because it messes with the symmetry of the rest of my wardrobe. Might go for the toffee tan A-2 bomber instead for that "Uncontrol'd" look. But we'll see.

Naw I'm just kidding. I have a DR 2010 coming.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    3 people like this.
  7. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Well-Known Member

for me

dr 2010- the horizontal pockets are a bit high and are probably awkward to put your hands in and im not that big a fan of a belt
    dr 2013- dont like epaulettes or the belt
    qdr- the quilting looks awesome but would probably be too much for the weather here.
    bcdr- love how minimal it is and it looks awesome fully zipped but i think it looks a bit off when partially zipped or unzipped.

8. Distorbiant

DR 2010 has cinches though. They're pretty low key in person, and the symmetry they achieve with the zipper placement looks really good. The overall shape of the jacket with the scalloped hem and the horizontal pockets and cinches creates such a flattering look. Looking through the DR 2010 on toj-gallery most of them are, honest-to-god with no TOJ thread flattery, good looking fits. You could randomly flip to any page and any pic on that section of the gallery and almost always find a good fit.

I agree that the pockets aren't that functional for hand-storage, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices.

DR 2013 - fair points. Though the gallery pics with the belt removed look excellent.

QDR, I will let drew speak for this one:

Really only works for skinny guys though (drew's words too, somewhere out there).

edit: Oh yeah, the quilting doesn't make the jacket warmer. It's strictly decorative.

9. Death24xASecond

I have to say, I disagree with some of the bashing the MDR gets. Maybe it's because my general style is preppy/conservative and so I lean toward subtle rather than loud, muted tones rather than flashy design, but I feel like the MDR is the best mix of flair and elegance. I mean, obviously the simple collared moto is the most barebones you can get, but it's a little *too* barebones for me. All double riders with belts are out. Belts on jackets, no; unless it's Belstaff and you're on a motorbike. Or a Burberry trench. Quilted...ehhh. I *loved* the female version on the TOJ gallery with diamond quilting, but that's exactly it: it's very feminine (and very attractive!). The band collar really gave me pause, I wanted that. But then I realized the MDR collar is so much more versatile, you can have it zipped all the way up, or you can have it zipped to the chest but all the collars up, or you can have it all buttoned down, or you can even do half and half: button down the lapel, flip up the collar. That is pretty damned awesome, and it's what finally got me to settle for the MDR.

Anyway, just my $0.02 at 5:36am.

10. rbnman

rbnman Well-Known Member

snap on the lapel on the BCDR is available for those that want it.

11. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Well-Known Member

i do find the dr 2010 quite aesthetic and the fits are great but like death24xasecond, it isnt really my style. the mdr appeals to me more because of the way i like to dress is more subtle and simple.

ive read drews quote before but what you said about the qdr is interesting. ive always assumed a quilted jacket is something you would wear in a place where it would get pretty damn cold compared to my part of the world.

12. Distorbiant

I'm not bashing the MDR. I just think the other options are more interesting and that people are being dramatic about biker jackets being too aggressive because of the hardware.

http://toj-gallery.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6788&g2_serialNumber=1
    http://toj-gallery.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=8461&g2_serialNumber=1
    http://toj-gallery.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11460&g2_serialNumber=1

None of these fits, for example, are too aggresive or loud because of the hardware.

There's only one Double Rider with a belt, the one released this year. The belt is removable. Your belt rule is pretty silly too. You realize you're posting on Styleforum, right? :p

QDR is a work of art. This is not feminine:
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. Death24xASecond

No, I didn't mean you specifically (re: MDR knocking).

For the rest, it's really a lot about personal preferences. And that's the best part of SF--everyone has their own! :)

14. fallenwest

fallenwest Well-Known Member

...you know "quilted" doesn't mean they sew a blanket on the inside, right?

1 person likes this.
  15. spicycho

spicycho Well-Known Member

Dr2010 is the definitive toj jacket, at least for me. My first and my favorite by far.

1 person likes this.
  16. Newo

Newo Well-Known Member

TOJ Regrets: Not getting a VTG collared moto. Would be so wonderful to age alongside a pair of VTG boots. Life is hard.

1 person likes this.
  17. bawlin

bawlin Well-Known Member

So what do you recommend for someone with a regular/athletic built, rather than a slim build? I want to get another order in before cut-off, and I'm leaning towards a QBCDR but now I'm having some doubts. Already have an MA-1 I'm expecting to come in fairly soon, and not too into the moto or A2.

18. skitlets

skitlets Well-Known Member

Cool. Might get it added.

Does anyone know if it flaps and clinks around if unbuttoned like the MDR does?

19. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Well-Known Member

BCDR flaps around a lot.

Red, black or oxblood calf 2010DR?

20. Distorbiant

True that. Personally I love the MDR 3-zip in gunmetal (even though everyone says 4-zip in silver is superior). I almost got one. It's just that, goddamn some of the other jackets are next level shit.

DR 2013

Go for that Terminator look.

[​IMG]