1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. wzjradam

wzjradam Well-Known Member

These new T1 pics are damn good. It is tempting me to wear mine, but it looks like there will be wind and heavy rain for the remainder of the week.

2. Klemins

Klemins Well-Known Member

yeah, both of those T-1 fits look great. I think Drew indicated this is not available in calf suede? (in response to Synth's comment) . Can't afford the lamb so would be interested in the calf if possible.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  3. Rookje

Rookje Well-Known Member

Baller review Synth.

Btw, didn't you used to have blond hair? Or is brown your natural color?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  4. thenewjs

thenewjs Well-Known Member

After my disastrous first purchase stock 54 I was able to find this stock 52. I probably an inch too long but I can live with that.

I really like TOJ/ John Coppidge stuff but I am no way a Fan Boy.

I'll leave that to others. I am now back on track to purchasing more.

Just gotta figure my measurements since I now lack trust in Charly.

Measurements seem to be pretty spot from the two I have handled.

If you measure yourself and compare their chart. You should be fine.

Fits seem to be on par with other high end euro clothing.

I would say round down their measurements to the nearest whole number, you loose a lil with sewing it seems.

m[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. GBear

GBear Well-Known Member

Hm, who to believe. thenewjs who says to round down or Synthese who says to round up? :satisfied:

6. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

Depends on where you start - it's easy cross over and order something either too small or large just from worrying too much. If you follow the measuring instructions and then use your common sense about how you want something to fit (i.e. if youre measuring an existing piece, adjust from there as you want the finished leather jacket to fit) and everything should be ok. TOJ1's and Bballs are not a good representation of the TOJ lineup in any way, to be honest. They kind of exist on their own, feature only the choice of lengths, and don't have much to do with the leather jackets or anything else. Just two pieces out of many we make, and everything has it's own pattern, of course.

7. impolyt_one

There's a lot we could do if we had more fabrics, and well, markup is not a factor in the quality of the clothing, rather we should be referring to pricepoints only. There's just that slightly higher range for us where we could do more if we could get people to buy into slightly more expensive wools and stuff. That may even be possible and we've not tried, but yeah, nicer wool and stuff does exist but it's rather expensive.
    There might be some huge changes at TOJ/JC soon, strictly for the improvement - we might take off big time and be able have all those things people have wished for, for so long finally. A lot of interesting things could happen. You guys know what I do with very limited resources at the moment, so the idea of having slightly more resources would produce some very interesting things.

With this quote, you've reached TOJ nirvana - we definitely just make a select lineup of things that aren't intended to be (and can't be) a head to toe solution (just yet, at least) - and it's all the more fun when you're combining one of my pieces with a mix of other stuff. It's great to see what people mix in, there's been a big variety. The TOJ's most definitely do not need to wear anybody, they're simply components of bigger pictures. It's just that I hope people see the beauty in being able to use TOJ items to strike things off a list, and do so in perfect form. That's the appeal, in my mind.

And, my favorite pic from that set:

1 person likes this.
  8. impolyt_one

There's a lot we could do if we had more fabrics, and well, markup is not a factor in the quality of the clothing, rather we should be referring to pricepoints only. There's just that slightly higher range for us where we could do more if we could get people to buy into slightly more expensive wools and stuff. That may even be possible and we've not tried, but yeah, nicer wool and stuff does exist but it's rather expensive.
    There might be some huge changes at TOJ/JC soon, strictly for the improvement - we might take off big time and be able have all those things people have wished for, for so long finally. A lot of interesting things could happen. You guys know what I do with very limited resources at the moment, so the idea of having slightly more resources would produce some very interesting things.

With this quote, you've reached TOJ nirvana - we definitely just make a select lineup of things that aren't intended to be (and can't be) a head to toe solution (just yet, at least) - and it's all the more fun when you're combining one of my pieces with a mix of other stuff. It's great to see what people mix in, there's been a big variety. The TOJ's most definitely do not need to wear anybody, they're simply components of bigger pictures. It's just that I hope people see the beauty in being able to use TOJ items to strike things off a list, and do so in perfect form. That's the appeal, in my mind.

And, my favorite pic from that set:

1 person likes this.
  9. Joona

Joona Well-Known Member

Great pics Synthese and thanks for sharing with your experiences with different TOJ leathers.
    While I agree that this is the case for many, I'd guess that quite a few TOJ customers would also need the possibility to adjust widths. For instance, I have narrow shoulders but more "regular sized" chest/arms. Meaning that there is no chance I could fit a stock size 46 jacket and sizing up enough would also mean that the shoulder seam would also move to wrong place, even if there was still option for adjusting lengths. There's probably some others that are in the same boat with me. I really want to emphasize this because it will ultimately determine will I be able to order TOJ/JC pieces in future. So far I've been in the impression that there might be MTM option in future at least for those who really need it. That would be great.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

Thanks, and fair point. I don't usually have a problem fitting into things that aren't just plain too-small, but I do have to ask myself how you (or others) fit into clothes that aren't MTM if it's such a deal-breaker. I'm not saying you're in the wrong, or that you wouldn't benefit from MTM, just that I think people go overboard on what they "need." Of course, I have made use of MTM on all of my direct orders, and I'm sure I would keep doing it if the system stays as-is, rather than just telling Charly I need a 51, or whatever. And, just to clarify, I'm definitely guilty of the compulsiveness that I'm preaching against.

11. gong

gong Well-Known Member

Damn I really want my jacket

12. AKang

AKang Well-Known Member

trying to pick up a quilted 2011 tab collar moto. anyone know if/when they will start taking orders again?

also, still waiting on my MDR from August, did anyone else order around that time and get a tracking#? DYING to wear this before it gets too cold here in NYC

13. buran

buran Well-Known Member

Never stopped taking orders from after august, but band collar dr is still and probably until JC unavailable. No guarantee that it will be available from JC, I'd guess not.

14. AKang

AKang Well-Known Member

aww lucky. i ordered mine on the 23rd of august and have yet to get tracking info =\ CANT WAIT this is my 2nd toj.

15. thewho13

thewho13 Well-Known Member

Of course Drew picks out the most yonic photo from that set as his favorite. :lol:

1 person likes this.
  16. AKang

AKang Well-Known Member

dwade u go to baruch? lol
    i havent seen anyone at baruch wearing a TOJ but ill def be rocking my MDR soon.

17. emilo

emilo Well-Known Member

I guess what I most anticipate from the JC makeover is the potentially lower production times. It would be convenient if you could order late summer, when you start to get into a fall state of mind, and actually have the jacket that fall. The same goes with winter, spring and summer.

FYI: I am on 13 weeks waiting for a Moto leather, and I am on 10 weeks waiting for a BB jacket.

18. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Well-Known Member

Either you make do with stuff that doesn't quite fit right or do without (for me, mostly the latter). I know what you mean, though, but I'd like to think I'm in the very small minority where MTM makes the most sense. My MTM shirts are miles above anything I've found in the RTW world with regards to fit, as is my ToJ. I accept that I may be a fringe case (18" neck, 50" chest, 19.5" shoulders is hard to match up. JCrew does it best, but the necks are still too small and shoulders/body too big, for example).

19. pistolero

pistolero Well-Known Member

This.

20. doublebb

doublebb Well-Known Member

Bomber arrived this morning. The leather quality is everything that everyone says it is. The lamb is supple and soft.
    The fit is damn near perfect:
    [​IMG]

I'll post an actual fit pic when I have a day off.

4 people like this.