1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

To the SFers that don't work in a field which requires suit and tie: When do you actually wear your

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dreamspace, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Svenn

Svenn Well-Known Member

You're right, that is actually what I meant... I think structured coats, especially shoulders, mask an athletic build's features, and can even suggest chunkiness, which is why some guys look better in just a slim-fitted dress shirt. I'm going to be experimenting shortly with canvassing a dress shirt to take the ripples out, as I'm curious what it would look like. Maybe go with a navy shirt and trousers to replicate the uniformity look of a suit... (realizing I'm edging on flamenco dancer territory there).

I'm on the west coast; it's true that if you're in the CBD during weekdays a suit is normal; but if you're a young guy trying to socialize in one after hours, the casual culture won't be kind to you, just my opinion.

2. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

I work in the Foreign Export/Agriculture industry. which means my work can be anything from driving a tractor, to a business meeting overseas.

So i mostly wear "Trad" workwear. today, all Denim and tweed. yesterday, Brioni 150's. the suits are mostly for going out to bars, and meeting important contacts.
    But i feel the reception would be the same or better if i was wearing workwear. - just like suits too much.

Dress as well as you want to. as long as you are well dressed. people will see you respect yourself, and your job.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  3. Radhruin

Radhruin Member

Teacher. Lower secondary school at the moment. SC, shirt and dress trousers, chinos or jeans. No tie, as it would be slightly out of place, and because it can be somewhat unpractical when you're surrounded by 25+, at times rowdy, kids. This is most days though, depending on the classes I'm teaching on a given day I might wear just jeans and a hoodie or somesuch, as it improves my approachability with regard to some of the pupils.

Most of my male colleagues wear trousers and a shirt/t-shirt/sweater, though some will wear a SC regularly (mostly the guys doing administrative work).

4. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

Sadly, that first season was a magical year in which every casting call fell on a day that I was already available. Then, HOC changed casting companies for season 2 and I was lost in the shuffle. I seriously doubt that I would have been able to make the same commitment to the second season that I had in the first. Alas, my acting career has indeed careered to a halt, for now.

Now for a brief interlude...
    A: No, this is a rutabaga.
    [​IMG]

I am too old and unhip to do SW&D with any authority. The dress code requires pants at the waist and shirts tucked. I have a black, box hemmed camp shirt that I daringly wear untucked on warm days when I am 100% certain that no corporate types are in town. Here's an ironic photo of me trying to do something in one of last year's themed threads. My right boot is exposed only for the purpose of photographic documentation of the footwear.

[​IMG]

Interestingly (to me), it was advice from the very persona memorialized in spray can black in that picture who gave me some sound advice on my wardrobe for work. His post was quoted (thereby saving it from the now infamous "...") in the thread linked to my sig below.

I have tried to follow it ever since.

5. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

You have to judge your own context so I apologies if this comes off as overly acerbic, but as a once and possibly future teacher / professor its my view that teachers are constantly banging on about the lack of respect and salary they get compared to any of the other old and established professions. The thought of a teacher of any sort in hoody and jeans makes me shiver and wonder why the aforementioned complaints exist. Would you respect a lawyer, a doctor, an accountant, a judge, a CEO who came to work in a hoody and jeans? You can always make the claim that clothes don't correlate with how well anyone can do their job, but I will make the counter claim that there IS something of a correlation between a certain standard of dress and the respect and commensurate salary. I was at school from the mid seventies till the late eighties and the scruffiest, schlubbiest teacher I ever encountered from kindergarten till graduation still wore a jacket and and tie every day.

6. Radhruin

Radhruin Member

I agree in principle, but theory is only worth so much. In this case, it's the simple matter of clothes creating too much distance between me and some of my pupils. Sure, it isn't the biggest factor, but sometimes every little bit helps, and I've got no qualms with sacrificing style for communcation when necessary. Can't comment on the salary much, really, since I get paid pretty well. Out of curiosity, are you speaking from a US context?

7. Svenn

Svenn Well-Known Member

^Going tie-less then taking off the jacket when you go into the classroom could be a good solution; the kids see shirt, adults in the halls see jacket. That's what I'd probably do if I was a teacher, in the US.

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

I have always thought that tweed and cord jackets are the teacher/professor stereotype for a reason- they're tailored jackets, but in aggressively casual fabrics. A tweed jacket and jeans (or more casual khakis) with an open collared shirt would make you approachable to students, while still formal enough to convey some authority and get you taken seriously among adults. In my experience, it's a look that crosses all sorts of lines.

1 person likes this.
  9. Digmenow

I wear either of those during the colder months over my black button collar shirt and khakis.

10. Radhruin

Radhruin Member

I already got plenty of those, and they do me well! (Getting taken seriously by adults isn't the primary concern most days though...) Really though, and without wishing to offend, the cases in which I don't wear tailored clothes at work are very specific, and done for reasons you can't really appreciate fully unless you're in the room or know the individuals I work with.

As a sidenote, remembering back to when I gave lectures at university, I can't really recall that many more of the male staff(or visitors) wearing jackets daily than at the school I am currently at. Sure, quite a few did, but not as many as I'd expected given the fertile ground for putting on tweed and cord.

11. williamson

williamson Well-Known Member

Hear, hear!

12. williamson

williamson Well-Known Member

As a (now required) teacher, I couldn't disagree more with your point on "approachability". "Approachability" is in the manner of the person wearing the clothes, not in the clothes themselves. One could be "approachable" dressed formally. I wore a jacket and tie (I won't wear a jacket without a tie) to the end of my teaching days in an upper secondary school, and was never considered "unapproachable".
    I am sure this is true - and as true on this side of the Atlantic as on yours.

13. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

wow, i actually agree with where you are going with this. pehaps we got off on the wrong foot?

Dig, i like you. so listen to me just this one time......... YOU are NEVER to old to own streetwear. it just requires learning the same as anything else. one of japan's best streetwear -focused designers is aged over 70!!!!! so feel free to ask myself or Barrel, or Troika. we can help you bridge the gap,- without looking like you were dressed by a girl who works at GAP.
    Yes, your SW&D game needs a little work. but you are a handsome man (no homo) and could look real fresh in the right fit. "CM" might make you look older. young and fresh look = more acting jobs. hit me up.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  14. Radhruin

Radhruin Member

It wasn't a definition of approachability, but a statement on what works in a particular situation.

15. Christopher Essex

Christopher Essex Well-Known Member

16. SeamasterLux

SeamasterLux Well-Known Member

I work in a compagny of 500 persons at the headquarter level. We are probably 4 persons on a daily basis wearing a tie and a jacket or a suit.

The usual attire is Jeans and polo or shirt too large.

Our CFO wears jeans, t shirts and hoodies.

No we're not a startup, at all.

I'm wearing a tie every day.

17. Odradek

Odradek Well-Known Member

I'm mainly a stay at home dad, looking after the kids. Dropping them off to school and picking them up in the afternoon. Before this I spent years working in the movie business. T shirt and jeans and Doc Martens was pretty much it on a film set.
    I can wear what I like, but since I've become more sartorially minded in the past 2 or 3 years, I've felt slightly constrained by what I can wear, especially in the past year, when I have slowly built up a small collection of ties. I used to have 2, which came out of the wardrobe for weddings, but now I have about 25 -30, and they get worn a little more frequently, but still not that often. Sometimes I'll wear one during the day but remove it before collecting the kids from school. Otherwise I just gets bewildered comments. Everyone knows I'm not working in an office environment, so a tie just does not compute.

I now own about 7 suits, but never really get to wear them.
    Wore one about two weeks ago when my wife and I went out to dinner at a local restaurant on my birthday. While there, we bumped into two couple we know, and after dinner we joined them at their table. The women had all obviously dressed up a bit to go out, but the two men were almost identically dressed in jeans and untucked shirts. They looked at me in a suit in confusion, Like they really didn't know what to think.

18. Digmenow

Hah! I'll think about it. Keep in mind that I thrift EVERYTHING that I wear with the exception of the black JAB shirts that I wear. In three years of searching, have found less than 5 pieces of denim that were better than Levis/Diesel quality. Not even a single piece of APC. My chances of thrifting a quality SW&D wardrobe is minimal at best but I still look.

1 person likes this.
  19. lwmarti

lwmarti Well-Known Member

Perhaps part of the problem is wearing SF-approved get-ups. That's clearly far, far from what your average people wear. I wear suits on a regular basis in a place where they're rare (Silicon Valley) and rarely get any comments asking if I had an interview that day (etc.), but the suits that I commonly wear definitely wouldn't get anything more than sneers and other even less friendly forms of derision if I posted a picture of me wearing them. I really like the nicer suits from my days working in finance, but they defintely don't work out here.

A few years ago, I had a meeting in the afternoon with people from a big bank so I dressed like a banker for the meeting (Kiton DB, etc.). In a meeting that morning with one of our engineering teams I actually had an engineer say that he was too intimidated by the suit and wanted to bail on the meeting and try it again the next day. That's something that never happens if I wear a cotton suit from J. Crew and a knit tie, for example. And the same general thing holds for outside of work.

So in my experience it's definitely possible to wear suits on a regular basis where other people don't, but not all suits will work for this. And that may mean doing things in a non-SF-approved way.

20. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

I'm a teacher as well, middle school, in my position can wear very much anything I like, including hoodies and jeans. :D ...in fact if I were to wear a jacket and tie, let alone a suit, they'd probably think..."Where's the wedding?"....sometimes put a blazer* on though.

"navy blue tailored jacket with metal buttons.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014