1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

to stack or not to stack

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by pg600rr, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Listi

Listi Well-Known Member

Stack.

I'm 5'9" and wear 34L, meaning I get 2-3 breaks. I don't think having a stack the size of jesus is a beneficial thing, but showing off your socks whenever you sit down is definitely not steezy. No need for a 5'2" guy to seek out a 40" inseam, but there is also no reason for a 5'9" guy to wear a 32" (which would be my "no break" inseam while wearing boots)

And it is kind of true about girl jeans, I know quite a few girls who are about the same size as me (as in, 5'7-5'10" and probably between 120-130lbs) who complain about not being able to find jeans in their size. I keep telling them that they need to hit up some Naked and Famous or Nudie but they are all afraid of spending that much on jeans, especially dry ones. *sigh* I fight the good fight, even though I lose.

2. Black Cherry

Black Cherry Well-Known Member

Have you gentlemen forgotten your ABCs?

A always, B be, C cuffing. Always be cuffing.

3. Asch

Asch Well-Known Member

I'm 5'9" with relatively long legs, and I find that 32.5" provides a normal "jean break" (i.e., about 1.5" more than my inseam on proper wool pants), which I prefer for wider hemmed jeans worn with boots. For my slimmer jeans worn with Chucks or sleek dress shoes, I prefer a 33-34" inseam for more stacking. Anything more than that looks very goofy on me.

4. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

No stacks for me. I often wear wider hem pants, and stacking isnt much of an option, but imo it can look rather sloppy and dated on slimmer hems aswell. A "little" is ok though.

5. crosswound

crosswound Well-Known Member

women around here who wear dark blue denim do stack might not be dry denim though. funny thing is i rarely see any guys in dry denim or with stacks.

6. MiniW

MiniW Well-Known Member

I was wearing some diors the other day and thought that I looked stupid at 5'10" and 36-37 inseam. I am pretty sure I'm hemming them to 34 soon.

7. JustinW

JustinW Well-Known Member

I don't like the look on myself, so don't stack. But I wear slim (514) not skinny (511) jeans and usually with boots.

8. gabby11303

gabby11303 Well-Known Member

I have BSP's in which have an 8.25 leg opening. I'm only 5'8 and usually have a 30 inseam. They are not super tight on me and the leg opening isn't small enough for a ton of stacking. I think I'm going to get them hemmed to a 33.5. What do you think?

9. Francis91

Francis91 Well-Known Member

I like stacking my jeans. IMO I think cuffing looks ugly.

10. danilo

danilo Well-Known Member

I like the stacks but not over excessive...

11. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Well-Known Member

It probably depends on your style.

If you're trying for the steezy hipster vibe, stack away. (See most of Robbie's fits, not that I'm calling him a hipster in any way.)

If you're going for more of a clean cut skin/punk look, or even old man-ish, cuff or hem the lenght. (Think GetSmart, Black Cherry, or PinkPantser.)

12. Using Technology

Using Technology Well-Known Member

stacking is a must for skinny jeans.

Personally skinny jeans don't really work on me, so i don't stack. Also I'm about 6'1" and after the jeans shrink a bit in the wash even your raw selvage jeans never give me much stacking room, sadly.

13. pg600rr

pg600rr Well-Known Member

Stacking on skinny jeans, always. No stacking looks gay as fuck with tight jeans, and a clean break on regular jeans makes you look like you're wearing highwaters when you sit down. I avoid dealing with the connundrum of wide hems by only buying skinny jeans.

stacking is a must for skinny jeans.

Personally skinny jeans don't really work on me, so i don't stack. Also I'm about 6'1" and after the jeans shrink a bit in the wash even your raw selvage jeans never give me much stacking room, sadly.

I agree on the 'skinny' jeans being stacked as in Dior 19cm, but my skinniest denim is APC NS which in the sz.32 that I have has around a 7.8" hem, the NDG classic fit has around an 8" hem... to regular people these are considered 'skinny' but to those that wear them there not. So I will prob. leave my Acne's, APC NS's and NDG alone, have some KMW 1980 on the way in 32 length for a change and I think I will prob. hem my APC Rescues because they have bar far the longest inseam at 36". Besides I hate cuffing and cant stand the look so that cuts out one option right there.

^BTW I am 6'1" as well.

14. Using Technology

Using Technology Well-Known Member

my main problem wtih skinny jeans is my knees. I don't think they are freakisly large, but any raw denim that is tight totally balloons out on my knee and upper thigh and the bulget just looks really weird atop a skinny calf.

15. onion

onion Well-Known Member

I agree on the 'skinny' jeans being stacked as in Dior 19cm, but my skinniest denim is APC NS which in the sz.32 that I have has around a 7.8" hem, the NDG classic fit has around an 8" hem... to regular people these are considered 'skinny' but to those that wear them there not. So I will prob. leave my Acne's, APC NS's and NDG alone, have some KMW 1980 on the way in 32 length for a change and I think I will prob. hem my APC Rescues because they have bar far the longest inseam at 36". Besides I hate cuffing and cant stand the look so that cuts out one option right there. ^BTW I am 6'1" as well.
    That's your best bet. You can get APC Rescues hemmed anywhere, since they are not chain stitched. I'd leave the KMW and Acne long. Anything with a hem measurement of around 7.5 or below I think looks retarded hemmed.

16. hamish5178

hamish5178 Well-Known Member

I like somewhere between a good break and stacking, I think it depends on how you look, excessive stacking and cuffs both look stupid on me.

17. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

my main problem wtih skinny jeans is my knees. I don't think they are freakisly large, but any raw denim that is tight totally balloons out on my knee and upper thigh and the bulget just looks really weird atop a skinny calf.

Embrace the knee bags! [​IMG]

18. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Well-Known Member

It probably depends on your style.

If you're trying for the steezy hipster vibe, stack away. (See most of Robbie's fits, not that I'm calling him a hipster in any way.)

If you're going for more of a clean cut skin/punk look, or even old man-ish, cuff or hem the lenght. (Think GetSmart, Black Cherry, or PinkPantser.)

I agree. I have both stacking jeans and clean cut jeans in my closet. It depends on the look you are going for.

19. crosswound

crosswound Well-Known Member

it depends on the look i agree too. although i think skinny jeans with no breaks, stacks, or knee bulges look bad. most people will assume your wearing womens jeans although they might assume this already regardless.

this is what happens when where you live bootcut is still the big thing.

20. Big Pun

Big Pun Well-Known Member

+ alot