• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tips on Spotting Fake Rolexes

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why pay $300 for a replica watch when there is a distinct possibility that Iroh could make your Timex look like a Rolex for you with some glow-in-the-dark paint, a couple of bobby pins and duct tape for much less money?

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
guidos-bros-douchebags-fratboys-george-thinks-your-story-is-cool-and-he-called-you-bro1.gif

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can sniff out a fake Rolex from across the room. Honestly. There are a million tells, without even holding the watch in your hand and feeling the weight.

First he said he weighed them, and they were identical.
And you may know how to sniff out cheap replicas, but not $300 ones.
Like I said, even when holding it, the salesman and people who own the same exact watch could not tell.
And you're going to tell from across the room? LOL. This isn't some $15 fake from Times Square in 1988.

dirkweems

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with a Timex. They are good watches. You don't need to make them up to look like a Rolex. That just cheapens the Timex. There are some Timex models that look similar to a couple of Patek's. Very nice and only 0.5% of the cost of a PP. I would rather buy a real Timex than a fake Patek Philippe. A Timex and a PP both perform the same function - they tell time. And both are proud of their own names and the values that each manufacturer stands for. Both stand behind their names and reputations. The primary function of a fake/replica watch is to look like the genuine article. Timekeeping functions are shaky at best.

gsugsu

Reaction score
Yes, there are some very good replicas out there - some even have Swiss movements (ETA & Unitas). Many may be fooled. I wonder though how readily an experienced AD or watchmaker would be fooled. Pulling the wool over the eyes of folks at Tourneau is not necessarily a coup.

mingus2112

Reaction score
Functionally identical? maybe on the very basic level. the same way a Honda is "functionally identical" to a Mercedes. As for being rich bored to own an expensive watch? I'm far from rich and don't have a single expensive suit - yet I have some fairly expensive watches. I'm fascinated by the inner workings of a fine timepiece, the history behind watchmaking and the history behind certain watches.

And you may know how to sniff out cheap replicas, but not $300 ones.

We must have different ideas of what a cheap replica is. $300 is still on the low end of what is passable and not laughable. Some of the more high end replicas are over $1000.

If all you want is a watch that tells the time, sure - you're $20 Timex from CVS is just as good as my $3,000 Omega Speedmaster. But when I pass my Speedmaster down to my grandchildren along with my great-grandfather's Hampden pocket watch from 1895, that Timex will probably be long gone in a landfill somewhere. Nothing wrong with a Timex - I have my father's timex that he bought at the PX while he was in Vietnam and that he wore over there (it's wind-up mechanical).

-James

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reevolving,

You repeatedly say that spending $5k on a watch for social status is stupid. There are people who do this, but I wouldn't call them collectors. Generally speaking it is really the one who buys the fake that is more concerned with social status. I am not concerned with the percieved value, the watch is for me not anyone else. I want something that is stunning (to myself), unique and can be passed down to future generations. I like to be able to trade and sell watches. Fakes cannot be resold for any value or traded.

Very few people, if any, actually notice the watch I am wearing. It's usually I who notice other people's watches. I would have more respect for someone wearing a real timex than a fake rolex. I agree that many watches bear the cost of advertising and are not worth retail but you can buy second hand or more under the radar brands if you feel this way. Ultimately, if you admit you are wearing a fake, you are a poser and if you don't, a liar.

Say what you want about how you are getting the same thing for $300. You are not.

atila

Reaction score
I think it's a little weird that Reevolving keeps referring to his friend, knows the dude front to back, and the way he tells the stories - a little strange.

With all that said, the only really funny part about all this? The guy gets asked if his watch is fake AND HE LIES.

If he is so smug and proud and soooooooooo rich like you say, why would he deny he is wearing a fake? Apparently, the guy makes 500k a year and has all these liquid assets and apparently even has his own AIRPLANE! So, what does he have to prove? Why wouldn't he admit they are fake? I was expecting the exact opposite response.

Then again, I also don't believe this person is real.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's real. If it were me, I'd say so. I have said plenty of controversial things on SF.

He technically does not lie.
He rhetorically says, "Now do I look like someone who would wear a fake watch?"
He then optionally hands over the watch for inspection.
He knows his watches. He knows all the models. He can talk the talk.
I believe he's a frequent poster on timezone.com

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone buy anything that is considered a luxury in the first place?

Well, there are many reasons to include history, craftmanship, quality, and design.

But very rarely does anyone else notice what watch your wearing anyway.

Generally only jewlers or fellow WIS's (Watch Idiot Savants) ever really notice.

But it's not like anything but a Rolex is a noticeable name to the masses anyway, and a Rolex is not even close to being the most expensive brand of watch.

So in my book there is only one reason why someone would want to buy a fake.

This is only done with the intent of trying to impress other people.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You buy luxury for a superior product.
However, with watches you get an inferior product, ironically.
People buy costly watches to impress others with logos and name brands.
How exactly do you feel your getting an inferior product?

-Ace-

Reaction score

You buy luxury for a superior product.
However, with watches you get an inferior product, ironically.
People buy costly watches to impress others with logos and name brands.

So your "friend" admittedly enjoys the same attention these said name brands attract, yet he thinks he's ahead of the curve by only paying $300 for a fake? Sounds like a very self important hypocrite....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads