1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Timothy may have been onto something.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by oscarthewild, Oct 11, 2006.

1. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

I used LSD in my college years and while I am glad I did, I would never do it again. The first four hours were great, just incredible, but you eventually just want to turn your brain off, unclench your teeth, and get some effing sleep. The effect it has on your brain is amazing, somewhat scary that it can affect you so much and that your grip on reality is that loose in the first place. I do not see how a chemical that affects your brain so profoundly could not have any side effects from long-term use.
    One of the things about hallucinogens is the fact that the trip starts off somewhat rough, then you come to terms with it and enjoy it, but after a few hours, you just want to be normal, and want to have reality back. At least this is what I have heard from SWIM. I have also heard from SWIM that at the end of the night all you wish is to be able to fall asleep without demons and spirits swirling around you when you close your eyes. SWIMWIM also told me that because of this, hallucinogens are to be done every so often. SWIMWIM = Someone Who I've Met Who Isn't Me

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

3. caelte

caelte Well-Known Member

out on the docks behind the Blue Parrot Cafe
    Mark-

The bad additives from my youth were strychnine and speed. It made for some rough nights. Strychnine really feels bad as you come down. At least it did 15 years ago.

Isn't strychnine rat poison?

4. caelte

caelte Well-Known Member

I heard somewhere that Owsley was just the front man and the chemist was his shy German girlfriend, who was a genius at synthesizing the stuff. Of course, Owsley acid is the stuff of legends.

I didn't know there were legends.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Isn't strychnine rat poison?
    Seems like maybe it was an urban legend. Something bad would get in there and cause our jaws to clench and our stomachs to clench up. It has been a long, long time... thank goodness.

6. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

One of the things about hallucinogens is the fact that the trip starts off somewhat rough, then you come to terms with it and enjoy it, but after a few hours, you just want to be normal, and want to have reality back. At least this is what I have heard from SWIM. I have also heard from SWIM that at the end of the night all you wish is to be able to fall asleep without demons and spirits swirling around you when you close your eyes. SWIMWIM also told me that because of this, hallucinogens are to be done every so often.

SWIMWIM = Someone Who I've Met Who Isn't Me

The experience depends on the quality and the dosage. I've rarely experienced anything nearly as harsh as you describe.

I didn't know there were legends.

About Owsley acid? Certainly.

7. caelte

caelte Well-Known Member

Seems like maybe it was an urban legend. Something bad would get in there and cause our jaws to clench and our stomachs to clench up. It has been a long, long time... thank goodness.

Because of those experiences I don't drink or use any drugs or medications.
    I wanted to see reality as clearly as possible and all that stuff got in the way.
    So maybe there is some possible benefit.

8. caelte

caelte Well-Known Member

About Owsley acid? Certainly.

So much about that era in Northern Cal was intense. I hadn't realised Owsley had reached the status of legend.

9. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

So much about that era in Northern Cal was intense. I hadn't realised Owsley had reached the status of legend.

He's mentioned by name in a number of psychedelic songs of the era. Listen to Jefferson Airplane's Mexico, to name just one example. Another far more obscure band put out a song entitled Our Friend Owsley Stanley that sometimes cycles around on the Technicolor Web of Sound.

10. caelte

caelte Well-Known Member

He's mentioned by name in a number of psychedelic songs of the era. Listen to Jefferson Airplane's Mexico, to name just one example. Another far more obscure band put out a song entitled Our Friend Owsley Stanley that sometimes cycles around on the Technicolor Web of Sound.

At the time, he was a household name in the Haight.
    He was associated with the big bands, like the Airplane and the Dead.
    He was so visible that that he came under scrutiny by the Feds.

11. King Salmon

King Salmon Well-Known Member

I have had mostly positive experiences from LSD. The only two negative experiences were when I had taken 4-10 times my normal dose -- once on purpose, once on accident.

Your trip is exactly what you make of it. It is a deficiency in your psyche if you are unable to have a good acid experience, albeit a deficiency that you may not consider important.

12. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

Having never taken LSD, I find this interesting.

In your experience/opinion, does the nature of the trip tell you something about your psyche? i.e. can you learn from it? Is it like a waking dream, or something different?

13. King Salmon

King Salmon Well-Known Member

It can, but is not guaranteed. The best way to describe it is as mental exploration. Some consider the experience spiritual.

The visual hallucinations can also be breathtaking. Some of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen in my life have been sunsets on acid.