1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Time Warner Center NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by drizzt3117, Nov 2, 2004.

1. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

Is this a cool place to check out for shopping? The restaurants there seem to be first rate... so I was going to check it out when I was in NYC next year sometime, but what do you guys think about the shopping? Anyone eat/shop there?

2. mussel

mussel Well-Known Member

The only shop that I highly recommend for you to check out is JW Cooper, very high-end western alligator boots & belts. A pair of full alligator (vamp & shaft) boots with one-piece vamp cost around $8000. Belts are made of one-piece hide. There's a small optical shop with very nice (and expensive) horn frames. There's a Thomas Pink. A Samsung showcase store. Hugo Boss. Otherwise, pretty much standard mall shops

On 4th floor is the uber-high-end food court. If you can snap a reservation at Per Se, grab it. I have a reservation there in 2 weeks. There's a 2 months wait for Masa with its $300 tasting menu (excluding drinks, tips & tax), Bar Masa is a cheaper alternative which doesn't accept reservation.

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

food court is great, stores are ok, I honestly can't see the mall doing well. There are rarely many people in the stores aside from the book store or Sephora, and still fewer people actually buying things.

4. stache

stache Well-Known Member

It's a mall. You might as well be in Las Vegas.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

The only cool thing in the Time Warner Center IMHO opinion is the Mandarin Oriental hotel.

Jon.

6. cuffthis

cuffthis Well-Known Member

Rather scathing review of the Time Warner Center restaurants by Alan Richman in this month's GQ (oops, I must now confess that I read that once glorious but currently sad magazine)

7. arvi

arvi Well-Known Member

with all the wonderful shopping opportunities in new york city, why visit an upscale mall other than to escape some foul weather..that said, the stores are vey nice and the Whole Food supermarket downstairs is worth a visit..

8. discostu004

discostu004 Well-Known Member

i didn't notice anything shopping wise that i thought was worth visiting, but the wife and i did get into per se. bring a fat wallet b/c it's not cheap.

9. Lint Brush

Lint Brush Well-Known Member

I haven't been to the mall (other than the Whole Foods, which is unbelievable for NYC), but I understand that the only "stand alone" Joseph Abboud store in the country is there, if you like his designs.

10. christian

christian Well-Known Member

For non new yorkers,

This supermarket is unbelievable. It might not seem like such a big deal, but in NYC it is. You get so sick of all these tiny little grocers on the corners with small aisles and even poorer selection.

11. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

That's a bit weird because most European cities have fairly decent sized supermarkets in various places, aren't there upscale ones scattered throughout NYC?

12. OnTheMark

OnTheMark Member

There are a few notable grocery exceptions here in NYC such as Fairway, but generally Manhattan grocery shopping is the pits. You have to go to specialty shops if you want to get good stuff.

The Joesph Abboud store aside, there is not much to reccomend in the Time Warner Center. It is more of a showplace for the brands, as opposed to a tip-top shopping experience. I liken it to shopping at the 5th Avenue Brooks Brothers as opposed to going to the original on Madison; one is a theme park. the other an institution.