1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Time has come, Manhattan here I come

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Catalyst, Mar 21, 2011.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

It would appear we are cut from the same cloth.

ROFL

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

ROFL

+1. [​IMG]

3. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

It would appear we are cut from the same cloth.
    The fact that my mother had a fully furnished vacant apartment on Park Avenue (but with the superWASP side street entrance) didn't hurt.

4. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

The fact that my mother had a fully furnished vacant apartment on Park Avenue (but with the superWASP side street entrance) didn't hurt.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. cl smooth

cl smooth Well-Known Member

I guess I could give my quick weigh-in, as a recent college grad who just moved to NY 6 months ago.

I'm from the west coast, graduated from a public state school, nothing fancy or prestigious. Hit up craigslist like mad, got a few interviews for my field lined up (media/advertising).

Flew out, spent a week doing interviews, got an offer. Accepted said offer, went back home for 2 weeks, and flew back to NY on a one-way ticket.

Slept on a friends couch for the first week and a half back. Hit up every single person that posted an apartment on craigslist for under $1,000 and in Manhattan.

Yes, for that money this means 4,5, and 6 bedroom apartments that have a room opening up. Not your own place. Although, I preferred this for a few reasons. One, I didn't know anyone. At least having roomates that were in my age range could help out a little bit when I started out. Also, furnishing a single room is expensive enough. Furnishing an entire loft/studio/1-bedroom is infinitely more. Think about all the random crap you have to buy--knives, pots , utensils, lamps, little rugs, corner tables, etc. It never ends. By moving into an already-functioning apartment, you only have to worry about buying a bed and a dresser.

Anyways, after visiting half a dozen craigslist places, I found one that had chill guys, good location (murray hill/gramercy neighborhood) and was big. And under $1000 (although barely).

Been living here for 6 months now, and it's been great. Living in Manhattan is awesome, but like others have said, depending on where you get a job, you'll be commuting within manhattan for the same amount of time, if not longer, than in BK/Queens.

MY ADVICE TO YOU:

Don't come here and look for a job. Call/email people now, tell them you're available for an interview TOMORROW, and see what happens. If someone wants you to come in for an interview you can book a ticket. Yeah, it may be 100-200 more to book a last minute ticket than to plan it out, but that's the cost of getting a job out of state. Don't assume you're helpless just because you're in FL. You're a 3.5-hour plane ride away. You're not in Africa. You can be there in a day if you need to.

Overall, it's about your attitude. Don't be so narrow-minded about your plan, where you want to live, how much money you want to make, etc. Everything is negotiable. Being dead-set on anything in this city is asking for disappointment.

Sharpen up that resume, polish up your small talk skills, and start hustling. Good luck.

6. KPO89

KPO89 Well-Known Member

small talk skills

Thread-worthy topic