1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Time has come, Manhattan here I come

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Catalyst, Mar 21, 2011.

1. mintyfresh

mintyfresh Well-Known Member

What type of finance experience do you have? Internships? previous jobs?

2. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

For Americans, success requires "doing time" in New York.

BTW, New York does not mean Brooklyn.

3. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

I think this is only true in some worlds like banking, fashion, journalism, etc.

It's not true in consulting and probably opposite in technology.

4. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I think this is only true in some worlds like banking, fashion, journalism, etc.

It's not true in consulting and probably opposite in technology.

Life is more than work.

But yes, I understand what you say.

5. Valor

Valor Well-Known Member

I think I sent some messages to Imagewis regarding this before, but I was in a similar situation once.

1. NYC costs about 2.5x as much as Florida.
    2. If you have a finance degree from a Florida school, you're not finding a job that's not complete bullshit if you haven't found one already.
    3. You probably can't afford most parts of Manhattan without a solid job.
    4. Living in Queens/Brooklyn ain't bad at all.
    5. You can't afford UWS unless you live North of 110ish in which case, you may as well live in Harlem.

Make a spreadsheet, I did when I first moved here. It should go something like this per month

Subway pass: $100
    Food: $300-500 (shit is mad expensive in NYC)
    Going out: $300-??? (Models and bottles baby!)
    Rent: $500-$??? (depends where you live, if you live in Harlem with 3 roommates, you can get rent for 500 a month, if you live elsewhere, it's going to cost you, most of my friends pay around 1k-1500)
    Utilities: $100
    Else: $500-$???

That comes out to a minimum of 1800$/month. At bare minimum I think your expenses are going to look at 1500$ a month assuming you live in a shithole somewhere (the other Manhattan option is living with some family in Chinatown).

My advice: Don't come to NYC without a job.

Also, if you haven't found one so far, the odds of you finding a job in New York are hilariously low. If you didn't go to a top 20 school and you want a job in finance, you may as well invest in the lottery, I've got a dozen friends who are more qualified and hungry than you, they already live in NYC and can't find jobs.

6. mack11211

mack11211 Well-Known Member

.BTW, New York does not mean Brooklyn.

It does now!

Times have changed.

"The City" still means Manhattan exclusively, but living and/or working in any of the boros can have equivalent prestige.

7. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Times have changed.

[L]iving and/or working in any of the boros can have equivalent prestige.

That's a bit like saying New York, Cleveland, what's the difference?

I would not give up my place in New York for a place across a bridge or through a tunnel ... although I would take on a weekend place somewhere well beyond the "outer" boroughs.

8. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

I'm ASSuming I won't be unemployed for more than 1-2mo, and then I can find a $40-60k job which will allow me to afford a nicer place or one of my own.

[​IMG]

I'd wish you luck but you need a miracle for your plan.

Five stars.

9. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

So I have set a date, May 1st, which I will just move to the city and look for a job from there. This is a huge step for me. Money is tight right now, and I don't really know anyone in the city, so I assume I will have to get a room in an apartment somewhere, although I'm skeptical of Craigslist.

I wanted to get your guys' opinions on this.

I'm a planner by nature so I hate the idea of this. But both of my sisters did it and landed very good jobs (and a great career for one), so of course it's doable. It's expensive and overwhelming but if you are sharp, tough minded and are good at making contacts (even just for grabbing drinks or hobbies), you should turn out okay.

10. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

$40-$60K? Those are peon dollars.

11. svd

svd Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'd wish you luck but you need a miracle for your plan.

Five stars.

1-2 months in this market for an entry level job is a longshot. In 2 months you'll be moving back to Fla or working retail.

12. rohde88

rohde88 Well-Known Member

1-2 months in this market for an entry level job is a longshot. In 2 months you'll be moving back to Fla or working retail.

This. The only friend I know who made this plan work had a few things in her favor:
    A) she was a cute girl
    B) she knew lots of people in the city so she was able to sleep on couches while she looked for a job
    C) moved to the city in 05 when economy was still cruising
    D) did I mention cute girl?

She got a decent, but low salary job with her "local" mailing address and eventually made it out of NYC unscarred.

G'luck OP, stay in Florida where we don't have state income taxes.

13. Peter1

Peter1 Well-Known Member

Eh, don't let the haters get you down. Get your hustle on and move here!

You can find a decent room around Columbia U. on the Upper West Side for $6-800 a month, esp. around end of semesters. If I were you I'd target early summer for arrival...lots of summer spaces open up on short notice, plus summer jobs/temp work picks up. Cost of living is whatever you want it to be, esp. if you know how to cook. There's a ton of free fun stuff all summer long -- concerts, film, plays -- just riding the ferry to Governor's Island or biking around town is a blast.

I absolutely agree that it's much easier (if anything can be said to be "easy" in this economy!) to be where you want to be to find a job. Long distance job hunting is a drag.

14. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

My son, a struggling actor, flew to NYC for auditions, found a cheap shared space and stayed for a while. He found a shitty night job in a bar and auditioned during the day. It was his dream to try every audition possible on Broadway and he did it. He never got a big break but he tried it and he later went on to LA were other opportunities made themselves available. He did this with a plane ticket, a duffle bag, laptop and $800. I was very proud of him for living his dream.

The one thing he did say about where to live is that his idea of what was best changed while he was there. He found it a benefit to find shared, short term rentals. As a result he lived on the Upper West Side, Brooklyn and the LES. He thought the closer-in subway stops in Brooklyn were the best locations and value.

Go to NYC, make it an adventure. It may work or it may not. But you won't know until you go. So, good luck to you.

15. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I moved to New York during a recession and landed a job with a firm that was -- at that time -- the tops in my field. Had I not been in New York to jump at the opportunity, I'd never have been considered.

If your good at what you do and you know it ... go for it.

16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I would definitely move to nyc and start working at a retail job, or as a bartender, or something and apply for jobs. I would try to get a roommate as well. People saying that you can live on the upper west side for $600-$800 are overly optimistic. For that amount you need 2 roommates, or actually live in Harlem.

17. gladhands

gladhands Well-Known Member

I don't get the whole "only Manhattan is NYC" thing...and I grew up there. That may have been true in the 80's, but not anymore. I have a friend who prides himself on never living in an outer boro, but he lives on 155th street and is further away from anything worth doing or seeing in NYC than most people I know in Brooklyn and Queens.

18. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I don't get the whole "only Manhattan is NYC" thing...and I grew up there. That may have been true in the 80's, but not anymore. I have a friend who prides himself on never living in an outer boro, but he lives on 155th street and is further away from anything worth doing or seeing in NYC than most people I know in Brooklyn and Queens.
    Well, there is a limit to how far north I'd go. You are right ... if you're gonna live on 155th street ... might as well be Queens or Brooklyn. Lets face it ... Upper East Side, Upper West Side, Midtown, Chelsea, The Village, Soho, Tribeca, etc ... that's "New York".

19. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

You could easily find a place in Chelsea; you wouldn't have to pay any money but it would take a physical toll very quickly.

20. haganah

haganah Well-Known Member

I imagined the West Village was more expensive now. When I lived there in 89-91, my rent was $800 and I had two roommates paying the same for $2,400 basement apartment. Rooms were tiny, almost closets. But we had a courtyard and threw lots of good parties. We considered ourselves lucky. Later Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke moved in nearby and they converted a lot of the apartment buildings back into the original townhomes and sold them for millions.

3K gets you a shitty 1 bedroom in the West Village. Seriously shitty. But it's enough for a nice studio there. Cross the 7th ave line, and rent drops quite a bit. It's funny.

BTW, New York does not mean Brooklyn.

For some reason, I would have thought you'd prefer NY's rive gauche. Guess I was wrong.