• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tiger: Overrated?

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
Yeah, but doesn't that say more about them than Tiger? There's no excuse for that kind of defeatist attitude. These are professional athletes, come on!

So why don't more of these guys hit the gym? Look at Tubby Mickelson. Sure, he's done okay with the lard he's carrying around -- almost three majors in a row! But that's just the point -- he and so many others are so close to being regular challengers, what's the excuse for not looking for that edge?

Look at the Williams sisters in tennis, when they first came on, they were playing a new kind of game, hitting the gym and out-powering everyone and they forced everyone to change their approach to the game. So then, logically, everybody stepped it up and changed their approach, and their dominance is gone.

Now whether having a dominant player vs. a deep pool of contenders is better or worse for a sport is a different issue, but I just can't quite understand why the competitors find him such a tough nut to crack.

And I love Tiger, really -- he's the man!
smile.gif
I just don't quite understand the whole thing from a big picture perspective.

More power in golf does not always come from hitting the gym. For a golfer to bulk up in a gym might actually be counter productive. I would suspect their added power comes from tweaking mechanics and equipment modifications. But, Phils man boobs could stand to go...

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would think Pilates would be more the ticket.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
No question he's great, I just mean, he's definitely beatable, and it seems like his degree of dominance is largely psychological. Even he says so. These guys are all pros -- why can't more of them develop that killer instinct?

Actually, his dominance is as much physical now as psychological. He has as many shots in his repetriore as anyone in the game and has used them to devastating effect.

mr_economy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
More power in golf does not always come from hitting the gym. For a golfer to bulk up in a gym might actually be counter productive. I would suspect their added power comes from tweaking mechanics and equipment modifications. But, Phils man boobs could stand to go...

That's the old theory of swing mechanics. Any school of teaching in the modern era is keen on hitting the weight room. Look at any of the top College golf programs and you'll find a strong focus on weight training. Yes flexibility training is part of it, but Tiger's physical condition has a lot to do with his swing.

Equipment is what can help a player overcome physical conditioning - it's why you only see Tiger outdriving guys with less strength by 10 or 20 yards. But even equipment doesn't do a whole lot when your body gets tired on the 14th hole, and you start subconsciously doing funky things with your swing to compensate. Great conditioning = consistency, if nothing else.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor

"added power", no, as someone who was driving 270+ at 14, I can tell you that it's all about hip rotation. I played with very skinny kids who could really make good contact. Being muscular like Tiger helps, but have you ever seen Mike Weir hit? I'm pretty sure there are strong 12 year olds who could beat him in an arm wrestle, but he can definately power the ball 300+ if he wants. People need to stop giving all the credit to their equipment. These guys have machine like consistency, know how long and how high to fly the ball, which way to work it etc... also, people say all this BS about distance being because of equipment. Do you realize that a lot of these guys actually use softer balls (like the Ballata) which are far from being like these $15 titatium balls weekend hacks use to make their slice go 10 yards further right.

People talk about his psychological edge. Well, guess what. At the level these guys are at, their strokes are all near flawless, they're super consistent and they all have excellent caddies and equipment. Well, his belief in his own abilities is what sets him apart. There are some people who like Els and Singh's swing more. Tiger makes big mistakes sometimes, he just has the nerve to recover. At one time I followed golf and I was watching the PGA, the euro tour and the nike tour. I've never seen someone make almost impossible shots with the consistency that Tiger does.

You can't say he's overated. The only record he probably won't break is Snead's record for most games won in row, which I think he's second all time at 9 in a row.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
So the fact that the Jordan Bulls so famously pulled out last-second victories with dramatic shots, rather than winning every game going away, means they weren't really all that great? Same point with, say, the late '70's Steelers, etc. Do we "downgrade" Joe Montana or Roger Staubach and their supporting casts for having to conduct all those come-from-behind drives rather than always taking a big lead into the 4th quarter? I think that in both individual and team sports, the great champions are always the ones who manage to consistently do what is necessary to win, period. Does the fact that Landis had to come from behind to win the Tour means he wasn't the best rider out there? (Oh wait . . . never mind on that last one.)

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Tiger is the best golfer hands down.... but, the real question is; will he break Jack's record of 18 majors?

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris "Italia"
Tiger is the best golfer hands down.... but, the real question is; will he break Jack's record of 18 majors?

He's 31. How is that even a question?

He'll probably beat it by the time he turns 40.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Yeah yeah yeah, but the important question remains unanswered - why does Tiger dress so poorly? Dark baggy pleated dress pants with shiny red or green polo shirt. The occasional nike sweater vest.

tigerwoodsdork.jpg

Camilo Villegas seems to dress fairly well with J.Lindeberg.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What happened this past weekend should answer your question.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He didn't win, they lost. Chokers.
devil.gif

I knew someone would revive this thread.
deadhorse-a.gif

tounge.gif

Pink22m

Reaction score
chorse123 Yeah yeah yeah, but the important question remains unanswered - why does Tiger dress so poorly? Dark baggy pleated dress pants with shiny red or green polo shirt. The occasional nike sweater vest.
I actually think Tiger is one of the better dressed golfers on tour.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink22m
I actually think Tiger is one of the better dressed golfers on tour.

agreed. i'm sure part of it is that he's actually in shape.

-Jeff

mrpologuy

Reaction score
How can a guy who has won 12 majors be overated? Only one person has one more!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads