1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Tiffany Sterling Screwball Key Rings - How To?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lafont, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Lafont

Lafont Well-Known Member

Thousands and thousands of individuals have purchased Tiffany screwball key rings, and their knock-offs, over the years all over the world, I'm sure. I'm on my second, and my wife has one, and the "screwball" (ball, little house, etc. - whatever screws on) comes off now matter how many times I keep checking it. Thought this may not happen with my current one - the classic original design, because it might be better made but no - the other day, even after I checked it several times, I found it (thank goodness) completely off in my pocket.

Does anyone have a trick to keep it on? Can't glue, of course, because I do on occasion have to take a key on or off, like when I leave my car for repair. The screwball can be replace but they don't tend to come cheap - particularly from the great Tiffany, which I've purchased one replacement from so far.

2. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Well-Known Member

If it doesn't work, why do you still use it?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  3. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

4. Lafont

Lafont Well-Known Member

Justinsmsz - I've had many types of keyrings over the years. Without getting the very most expensive kind, like Hermes, something happens to each type. Generally the metal separates like a few molecules at a time 'til it keeps opening. The screw-on capability of other types deteriorates, too. I have these because they're Tiffany and sterling, they are easy to open when necessary, and they usually stay screwed. It's sort of a challenge.

As for Loctite, you're proposing it would seal it and, though not gluing it, obviously, make it more secure? I could try it but I don't know about damaging the silver. Might it not make the ball harder to screw on and thus make it fall off more easily?

5. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

This thread is real cliffhanger.

6. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

There are different levels of loctite. The purple is meant for small screws like jewelry. You should still be able to unscrew the cap but you will need to apply it again.

7. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

I'm pretty anxious to see how this turns out

The suspense is affecting my Circadian rhythms.

8. Reborn

Reborn Well-Known Member

One can't have enough sartorial tape:

[​IMG]

9. amemovox

amemovox Well-Known Member

You may consider contacting Tiffany. They should stand behind their product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

Poast fail!!!

11. Lafont

Lafont Well-Known Member

Corbera - You need more action in your life. Why don't you try tap dancing?
    Now, back on target.... Each screwball key ring I or my wife have had has the same flaw, so I might try to Loctite. It was suggested to me recently retlated to fitter screws and outdoor light fixtures, though I couldn't find the specific Loctite suggested (purple?) at hardware stores and when I found it on the web it didn't seem worth the money or effort. Perhaps for Tiffany silver it might be worth it....

12. Lafont

Lafont Well-Known Member

I tried the Loctite Blue. Again didn't find the "Purple" in the first few places I tried and hardware owner, who said he never had any requests for the Purple, thougt the Blue would be effective. It's the "medium" strength - not a glue and it says on the package might have to be disassembled with a handtool but I don't picture that. So far, so good (though it's only been four days). The day I bought the stuff the screwball started unscrewing by itself several times, despite my tightening.

Meanwhile, I had written an inquiry to Tiffany to ask what they'd suggest, mentioning all three of their key rings, including one purchased brand new from their website, open up periodically. They responded with a ridiculous note saying perhaps the threads are shot and I could send it in - and asked that I fill out a form, etc. (usual form letter claptrap) - for them to evaluate the metal. Cheesh.... Is there any chance they'd say the screwball is okay, when it unscrews by itself? All they could say is they'll sell me another one. I wrote back a terse response to this, saying I really was only expecting them to mention some product. If they're not allowed to do that they could simply respond I should try a sealant - that makes the screwball just a speck tighter yet doesn't lock it in permanently.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  13. Lafont

Lafont Well-Known Member

My wife's "screwball" (actually, a sterling globe) came off her Tiffany key ring, which she keeps in her purse, and I used the product again. Noticed it's actually Permatex Blue, not Loctite Blue. That's what the particular hardward store guy had and recommended. On the web the Loctite and Permatex products look virtually the same adn are both called "Threadbearer, with the red, blue, and purple. Anyway, my screwball hasn't come off yet. The quirk is if I try to unscrew it to see if it's possible then I'm supposed to use the liquid again. So I need to wait until I need to unscrew it, like if I leave my car for repair.

14. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

The "service" you have received from Tiffany sounds appaling.

The product themselves appear to have low quality also........oh the angst you must experience!!!

As a small-timer myself, I could not afford to buy into the Tiffany mystique, so had to settle for a generic, made in the USA keychain, for my 5 year old daughter to hold her dollhouse keys

http://www.silvergallery.com/sterling-silver-small-double-screwball-keyring/

So far, after almost two years of daily abuse, including being lost in the garden, being frozen over in snow, and even a couple times in the washer/dryer (by accident), my daughter's keychain has held up. The screw balls are tight, only coming off when intended.

Thank goodness for made in America quality!

15. Lafont

Lafont Well-Known Member

I picture Tiffany's silver products as made in America but can't say for sure. Yes, many of the Tiffany key rings have counterpart knock-offs advertised on the web for somewhat less. Are they really sterling? Sterling for a five-year-old? Yes, set the standards early!