1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ties

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by vincent, Mar 10, 2006.

1. vincent

vincent Well-Known Member

Do you guys ever wear ties with streetwear or casual clothing??

If you so, how do you pull it off??

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

It may be a bit outre to most streetwear denizens, but I still wear a skinny black tie with a skinny grey or white shirt on occasion. However, it begs for some kind of twist to it because lots of douches at school rock this look, so I usually wear it underneath a more uncommon jacket (not a blazer).

3. PunctualAlex

PunctualAlex Well-Known Member

Every time I get an interesting new tie I usually wear it with any button-down and a black sweater over that with the sleeves all rolled up. I have an awesome sweater that draws all the attention to the tie knot and the shirt is just there for the collar.

4. Nick M

Nick M Well-Known Member

I will occasionally rock jeans, untucked slim shirt with the sleeves rolled up and collar open, tie kinda loosely knotted, with an odd vest - I've got a 7-button slim charcoal vest, and a few others that go well with a lot of ties.

I think under a sweater or vest is the way to go, though - I find a tie by itself looks a little odd.

5. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

I sometimes do, with a slim dress shirt innapropriate for business and normaly under a sweater. I've been known to do the sportscoat, shirt, tie, jeans, sneakers thing, it can look good but all elements must be well chosen or it's instant lameness.

6. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Well-Known Member

No. It's already painful enough to wear one all day long at work, without feeling the need for a tie in casual outfits.

!luc

7. Flame

Flame Well-Known Member

I occasionally wear a tie with casual outfits. always a monochrome color, slim and it has to blend in with the rest of the clothes, instead of contrast like you would with dress shirt and a suit.

8. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

Here is a quick shot of a few of my ties which I like to wear casually, either with a dress shirt, sport coat, and jeans, or with a dress shirt and cardigan sweater. Most of these ties are vintage.

[​IMG]

9. Stuttjukken

Stuttjukken Well-Known Member

In my casual style (streetwear), I wear shirts and polywool trouser. It happens I wear a tie then, but it´s seldom.

10. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

I used to do this a lot but since I no longer go to school I don't nearly dress up as much. It's hard to justify putting on an outfit with a tie just to go to the grocery store.

11. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

I like ties worn casually with jeans or a nonformal trouser but it irks me when I see it tied loosely. nothing wrong with that look per se, but I like seeing a tie tied properly, regardless if it's worn casually or formally.

12. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

I like ties worn casually with jeans or a nonformal trouser but it irks me when I see it tied loosely. nothing wrong with that look per se, but I like seeing a tie tied properly, regardless if it's worn casually or formally.

As I just wrote in another thread, I have great difficulties with the tie/jeans combination. To me, it's just incongruous. Reminds me of "business casual" or something. Low- or medium-rise jeans could force you to knot the tie overly long, to reach the belt, or too short, which also looks odd.