1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Tieless Obama

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bobyoung7, Oct 19, 2011.

1. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Hardly the worst crime in the world. That's a trend started out of nothing but attempting to flatter a corpulent king who no longer fit his suits. It was a silly convention that eventually became an unwritten law, but flouting it was hardly unknown in that time. It still doesn't exist in many places.

Also, Cary Grant:
    [​IMG]

As for Obama, meh. His dress is calculated by consultants. Tie/ no tie included. Gotta look like the working man you'd have a beer with, but you can't piss off the people who want you to look like, ya know, the leader of the free world.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    He got as far as reading that only one button should be buttoned.
    (obviously an accident, but what if Bush had appeared like this, ours is a political system of everything taken out of context)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  3. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

I don't like the tieless crap although I do understand why its done. I want our politicians to be "better than us". I want a fresh haircut, a well fitting suit with a nice tie. Call me a hater, but I don't want a chubby president, I don't want a schlumpy president. I want a guy who looks like he's smarter, sharper, and more on point in every way, including dress, than the next guy. Obama fails at this.

4. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

You're in the minority, which is why politicians dress like they do. Smart people tend to want the president to look smart. Dumb people want the president to look like a humble working man they can have a beer with. Guess who outnumbers who?

5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

definitely preaching to the choir unfortunately.