1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Tie Clips?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by brooklyn, May 13, 2005.

1. brooklyn

brooklyn Well-Known Member

Whats the deal with tie clips? I was thinking of getting one just to add something different to my wadrobe and to stop my tie from going all over the place.

Are there any rules when wearing a clip?

2. DandySF

DandySF Well-Known Member

Tie clips are a bit out of date. If you feel you must wear one, be sure to wear it slightly on the diagonal, to give it a seemingly careless and accidental appearance.

3. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

Some of the emo rockers are wearing it with skinny ties.

DandySF is right. If you sport one make sure that it's done in a non-traditional way. If you wear one with a suit, don't clip it too high, just let it peep out a little bit.

4. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

Yes, the clip must be golden and you must wear brown shoes .

5. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Well-Known Member

Well... Tieclip is severely out of fashion. That being said, if you are to wear a tieclip, wearing it diagonally like you "don't care" just looks grotesque to me (this has to be some american trad thing, never seen that anywhere else).

Here is how I wear a tieclip : high, straight, to make the tie puff a little bit, with a double breasted very high button stanced suit / or a vest (three pieces SB suit)
    Wearing a tieclip diagonally, on a low button stance SB coat looks even more dated.

.luc

6. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

Has emo even reached your side of the Atlantic? If you have no idea what I'm talking about, consider yourself lucky. Though I must admit the emo rockers do have a more practical and imitable wardrobe than say heavy metal rockers.

7. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Well-Known Member

no, I have no idea what you're talking about [​IMG] .luc

8. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Ever since the 1960s, I have regarded the tie clip as only a notch or two up from the pocket protector.

However, Manton, whose sartorial wisdom and knowledge vastly surpasses mine, is an advocate of them. He pointed out that Fred Astaire was a great wearer of tie clips. I think Astaire invariably wore them at an angle. Thus I felt somewhat chastened.

However, I still won't wear them.

9. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

For those of you who disdain and eschew the tie clip, how on earth do you manage to get the tie to arch ever so? Or are you gents simply content to let the cravat fall as it may?

10. stache

stache Well-Known Member

I agree. Astaire has been dead for quite some time now.

11. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

(JLibourel @ May 13 2005,11:04) Fred Astaire was a great wearer of tie clips. However, I still won't wear them.
    I agree. Astaire has been dead for quite some time now.
    I don't think this guy had the monompoly of good taste. Will People need to dress like him in 2075 to be well dressed?

12. stache

stache Well-Known Member

Maybe we should all start tying our shirts at the waist and wearing neckties as belts, just like Fred did. [​IMG]