1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Tickets to Teatro alla Scala di Milano

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Papageno, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Papageno

Papageno New Member

Hi everybody,

I have just bought tickets to the opera at Teatro alla Scala di Milano, in Italy, so I need to know how should I be dressed for that occasion. In my country (I am from South America), if you go to the opera you just need a tie and a jacket. Never a tuxedo, and not even a black suit with black tie, unless you want to look over dressed.
    But this is Milano, not South America! I am attending to the premier of Der Ring des Nibelungen (The Ring of the Nibelung), a four days opera cycle composed by Richard Wagner, and my seats are in a box in the second level.
    What should I wear?

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

When I went to La Scala everyone was in suit and tie, but absolutely no tuxedos. An opening night might be different, but I remember asking someone who said it was not. Unfortunately I can't remember who this was so I don't know how reliable that is. But certainly you can wear a suit and tie and not worry about being underdressed.

3. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

Suit and tie should be fine - it is at the Fenice here anyway, even for the Royal Box.

4. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Well-Known Member

I was at Don Giovani last year for opening night and it was about 75% tuxedo, 25% suit. Women were in their finest, men were dressed head to toe and it was one of the best renditions that I've ever seen.

Papageno - if you have a tuxedo, wear it. If you don't, wear evening appropriate clothing and make sure to look your best.