1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on pen inserted in shirt placket

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by xkmasada, Aug 29, 2007.

1. xkmasada

xkmasada Active Member

Today at a meeting, I saw the CEO and COO of my company with nice pens (Montblancs) inserted in the plackets of their buttondown shirts between the 2nd and 3rd top buttons. I've seen this before, including in dress shirts with the pens discretely covered by neckties.

I was wondering what fellow SF members think about this. Does it look too casual? Or is it an elegant solution of wear to put pens when your shirt has no chest pocket?

2. chobochobo

chobochobo Well-Known Member

My thoughts are that it is an inelegant way of carrying a pen, probably a pseudo-style statement more than anything else.

3. Fishball

Fishball Well-Known Member

I do it all the time, it is just for convenient sake.
    But be careful to fasten the pen. sometime the pen drop off from the cap, then your shirt.....
    Also, I lost my Parker old Duofold in this way.

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Not a good idea.
    It looks inelegant and as Fishball said, you can end up getting ink on your shirt.
    I tend to carry a pen inside my leather folio, or at a pinch, I slide it down inside my side trouser pocket, with just the clip showing the outside of the trousers. I've never had the lid come off, but at least that way if the pen does leak, it won't really be noticeable against the dark fabric of the trousers.

5. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

Hey! I have an idea. If you had a pocket on your shirt, you could put it in there!

6. lakewolf

lakewolf Well-Known Member

Hey! I have an idea. If you had a pocket on your shirt, you could put it in there!

philistine !

me I don't do neither... I don't write with archaic tools anymore.

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

I may have done it once or twice at most. But only impulsively out of a genuine need to put the pen somewhere for a few seconds while doing something else. And usually in that scenario, if the jacket isn't near, it goes in the trouser pocket.

As a consistent way of carrying your pen? No thanks, not for me.

8. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

I much prefer that to carrying a pen in your shirt pocket.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

philistine !

me I don't do neither... I don't write with archaic tools anymore.

You using Voice Actuation?

Jon.

10. lpwb32

lpwb32 Well-Known Member

i just had an awesome idea. pen-tie clip! i'm going to patent it.

other projects in the development pipeline:

leatherman-tie clip
    laserpointer-tie clip
    moneyclip-tie clip

11. CTGuy

CTGuy Well-Known Member

I know some men are fans of the the whole pen on the shirt thing-- I think it's a little too old fashioned even for me. It reminds me of something a 65 year old engineer might do. I love pens, but I keep them in my inside jacket pocket or in a briefcase.

12. SantaCruzGuy

SantaCruzGuy Well-Known Member

"I know some men are fans of the the whole pen on the shirt thing-- I think it's a little too old fashioned even for me. It reminds me of something a 65 year old engineer might do. I love pens, but I keep them in my inside jacket pocket or in a briefcase."

New solution: instead of using a fancy schmancy pen, use your new iPhone to hang it there instead. It'll make the same positive impression.

I knew some guys that did this with a pen too, & it was always a Mont Blanc un-coincidentally.

13. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I love styleforum. You read all sorts of important questions here...

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I sometimes do it though I once lost a vintage '20s Sheaffer Balance Oversize that way. It was Jade Green too.

15. J'aimelescravates

J'aimelescravates Well-Known Member

I really don't like this look at all. I always keep my pen in a) my hand b) on my desk or c) in an inside pocket of my jacket. IMHO, if you need a pen so quickly as to not be able to put it in your pocket it's best to just leave it in your hand.

16. stickonatree

stickonatree Well-Known Member

if you don't mind your pen accidentally falling and drawing lines on your shirt...

17. Dmax

Dmax Well-Known Member

Good taste dictates you should not flaunt expensive items, at least when you are not using them for intended purpose. Most people are only familiar with one type of expensive pen - a Montblanc, therefore it is more tasteful to keep your Montblanc in a nice pen case when you are not using it. If you desire to carry you pen clipped to your shirt or you shirt's pocket make it something less recognizable like a Pelikan, Waterman, Parker or Sheaffer.

Just my opinion of course.

18. crazyquik

crazyquik Well-Known Member

19. LWF

LWF Active Member

You can also put the pen on the backside of your tie.

20. Qasimkhan

Qasimkhan Well-Known Member

Only clerks visibly wear pens on their clothing. It's just that today clerks are well paid enough to afford nice pens.