1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on my dream home design (Colonial French-Cambodia)

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Svenn, Feb 1, 2010.

1. CTGuy

CTGuy Well-Known Member

funny how many guys are criticizing this and probably live in some Toll Brothers box.

2. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

Just use quality materials and it can't look that bad. I am very worried that a house like this might involve lots of stucco for most people though. [​IMG] Finding skilled workers will probably take years. Submitting floorplans and permits will probably take at least 2 years. The actual labor itself will probably take 2 years. Quality materials will probably be at least $500K. If there is lots of vegetation on a hillside, even better. Next to a McMansion, it will certainly seem out of place. There are Asian style buildings all up and down the West Coast.

3. Svenn

Svenn Well-Known Member

Just use quality materials and it can't look that bad. I am very worried that a house like this might involve lots of stucco for most people though. [​IMG] Finding skilled workers will probably take years. Submitting floorplans and permits will probably take at least 2 years. The actual labor itself will probably take 2 years. Quality materials will probably be at least $500K. If there is lots of vegetation on a hillside, even better. Next to a McMansion, it will certainly seem out of place.

There are Asian style buildings all up and down the West Coast.

I fear that cost estimate might be accurate... below is my alternative and cheaper plan for a much smaller all-wood over-water house by itself (not three put together like in my original), which actually shouldn't cost more than a normal nice house. I could also feasibly build it on land since I know a guy with a barge and we could hoist it up on top of the pilings maybe. Hopefully this design would blend in more.

Good point about the hillside- yeah this lot I have in mind is an old dock jutting out of a steep hillside. The hillside was logged a generation or so a go so I feel like I could get the permit to plant slope-stabilizing hardy palms all over the place fairly easily. With this house over the river framed by the backdrop of a hillside of palms, would be picture perfect. The piling permits aren't actually that hard if the land already possesses them.

[​IMG]

4. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I like the idea of houses on stilts or otherwise raised (loved that picture of the tokyo house over carport in the small spaces thread).

That being said...I think I have an aversion to design that attempts to capture the past rather than pushing forth with the new (especially using things like faux-columns that are not needed to support structures with modern building materials).

5. SField

SField Well-Known Member

I think that much better than going for a traditional facsimile you should have a good architect reinterpret the idioms and ideas you present into something that is new and an idea in and of itself.

The photos you've come up with would look retarded in oregon. In fact they'd look retarded anywhere but Bangkok.

6. Mr.Pinchy

Mr.Pinchy Well-Known Member

The photos you've come up with would look retarded in oregon. In fact they'd look retarded anywhere but Bangkok.

We don't use that word on here. Oh wait I'm on styleforum.

7. Nomad_K

Nomad_K Well-Known Member

Having also lived in SE Asia for a little while I think that this style looks okay - when done well and in context (SE Asia or at least a tropical location). I do not think it would be practical in many places, and might not 'age' well, visually outside of SE Asia.

If you want to try it out though - do it and enjoy it.

8. krillin

krillin Active Member

why not take something thai in concept but go modern? i think the grand thai houses have big courtyards and seperate areas for kitchen, sleeping, dining. living that are a few minutes walk from one another. perhaps you could do that if you have a huge property.

here's a nice singaporean colonial.

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/h...Navsingaporean house.

a little bit more modern but still decidedly asian.
    http://ctoarchitects.com/

what do you guys think?

9. Svenn

Svenn Well-Known Member

here's a nice singaporean colonial.

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/h...Navsingaporean house.

a little bit more modern but still decidedly asian.
    http://ctoarchitects.com/

what do you guys think?

I like the Singaporean colonial, it kind of has the air of an officer's bungalow in the Raj in a Rudyard Kipling book (Jungle Book, Riki-tiki-tavi) or something.

[​IMG]

10. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

11. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

The OP must be more optimistic about the practice of law than I am.

12. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Unless you're living in southeast Asia, or a jungle-like environment, I can't see how such a house won't look ridiculous. It'll be like Epcot center, but with only one country represented and none of the fun stuff around it.

13. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

Why not move to SEA, buy an old house, and restore?

14. yerfdog

yerfdog Well-Known Member

an oasis entirely cut off from the surrounding environment so I can forget that I live in this depressing place.
    Why don't you just move to Southeast Asia then? Or at least someplace less depressing to you than western Oregon? edit: or see johnapril's suggestion above