1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Thom Browne trying too hard...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rach2jlc, May 10, 2007.

1. lakewolf

lakewolf Well-Known Member

To those who wanted to see that I will actually walk out the door as such:

[​IMG]

and this one would be great if it was not for the silly short trousers

2. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

A superslim suit is one thing. It's not for me, but I can see the appeal. Clamdiggers with no socks, however, is just wacky. I don't like break, but I want my trouser legs to touch my shoes.

3. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

QFT. There's a lot of opinions on this forum that certain brands represent a certain pinnacle that surely "everyone" must know is superior. But not everyone wants Kiton or Rubinacci suits....not everyone wants Edward Green or Lobb shoes. And if you're discussing someone wanting to wear Thom Browne, it's silly and irrelevant to suggest that "Kiton" is a better alternative.

one of my favorite quotes "Don't inflict *your* happiness on *me*"

I'm not really a TB fan, but I agree and I've been saying things like this for awhile now.

4. Ludlow

Ludlow Well-Known Member

If one guy wants to walk around town looking like he's ready for the next flood - that's eccentric. I like eccentric.

If a bunch of people then start spending lots of money to look like the eccentric - that's sad. Or a cult. Do TB ankles qualify for a cult?

5. lakewolf

lakewolf Well-Known Member

If one guy wants to walk around town looking like he's ready for the next flood - that's eccentric. I like eccentric.

If a bunch of people then start spending lots of money to look like the eccentric - that's sad. Or a cult. Do TB ankles qualify for a cult?

Can you imagine paying $4000 for a suit that has just the trousers too short ?

6. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Well-Known Member

They can actually come in any length that you want.

7. Ludlow

Ludlow Well-Known Member

Well, no, I can't. I wouldn't pay $4 for a suit that has trousers that are too short. Unless I wanted a sport coat - but a TB coat is usually cut too short in the body and the sleeves, isn't it?

I don't care how finely made the suit is, those silly ankles will be the first and often only thing that anyone will notice. Do you really believe that people will pick out the exquisite width of the lapel from 100 paces?

8. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Well-Known Member

Well, no, I can't. I wouldn't pay $4 for a suit that has trousers that are too short. Unless I wanted a sport coat - but a TB coat is usually cut too short in the body and the sleeves, isn't it?
    No it's not....if you want the shrunken look.

9. hossoso

hossoso Well-Known Member

What do they think of your long hair and bandanas? [​IMG]

face...

10. Sander

Sander Well-Known Member

I don't see what's so special about Thom Browne's "new style", I know a popular guy who has been sporting it since 1989:
    [​IMG]

11. ts4them

ts4them Well-Known Member

face...

LOL, thanks for that. I haven't heard "face" used that way in a long time!!

12. The Style Council

The Style Council Member

What's all the fuss about.... Short trousers have been around years... It's all about personal taste.. isn't it? [​IMG] From Take Ivy.. [​IMG] 'The Scene' club, London '65 [​IMG] The Small Faces '65 [​IMG] Paul Weller

13. ABALO

ABALO Well-Known Member

Short trousers is a "faute de gout" that resists time vey well...