1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Thom Browne + Brooks Brothers = Black Fleece (pics are up)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scruff, Mar 21, 2007.

1. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

I tried on things by Brown in London and it always fit like crap. So who cares what it looks like?

2. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

I'm sure Brooks would love to sell as much as they can, but I think this is more about raising the profile of Brooks than selling a lot of merchandise. It probably will compare to RLPL for Polo. They're creating buzz about Brooks Bros.

3. gorgekko

gorgekko Well-Known Member

what folks can't get a proper grasp of is that Thom Browne's runway shows are NOTHING like what you see in the stores that carry him.

Sigh. You keep saying that. You do realize that this isn't the "Style Forum for Beginners Who Don't Know What Pants Are", right? Few designers' runway shows purely reflect what you will see in stores. We know that.

Some of us just hate Browne's design aesthetic or, as johnapril argued, don't think the quality is up to the price tag. C'est la vie.

4. persid

persid Well-Known Member

Look at the sportcoat on the guy wearing the "wellies." It's fantastic -- nice lapels, a bit shorter, beautiful shoulder with some personality. That's the type of stuff I think we'll be seeing. And that's precisely the type of stuff that the average Brooks customer doesn't like and doesn't fit into. I don't think that hipsters will come to Brooks either -- even if Thom Browne's stuff is there. This will be a failed experiment I think.
    Agreed on the sportcoat...I think the whole outfit looks spot on:
    [​IMG]
    The collection is full of amazing pieces if you just ignore the absurdities.

5. spertia

spertia Well-Known Member

Why is the collection called Black Fleece?

6. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

It's a play on "Golden Fleece", which is traditionally the highest quality line Brooks offers. If one wants to be hip and cool then you name something "black", eg, "Barker Black".

7. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

If the stuff stays slimmer than BB typical sizing and makes its way to the sales, I will consider it; I cannot/should not afford to buy things such as suits at retail prices...

8. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

Agreed on the sportcoat...I think the whole outfit looks spot on:
    [​IMG]
    The collection is full of amazing pieces if you just ignore the absurdities.

Seems extremely basic to me, and nothing you need a "name designer" to achieve. That jacket looks an awful lot like the RLPL cashmere jacket which Holdfast and others own, albeit a short for a regular model. It's a light grey. Nothing crazy there. The sweater is a navy v-neck. Wow! A white shirt! Grey flannel trousers!

Not directing this at you, persid, I just don't think it's anything special. Brooks Brothers could have achieved the same thing by simply modifying their existing stock to fit younger customers as well as zaftig trads.

9. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

Yes, but if they did that no one would have noticed, or it would have gotten a blurb in Details, maybe. This has everyone talking about Brooks. They've succeeded in doing what they wanted.

10. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

again to reiterate [​IMG] ....if the BB runway show is anything like his own, you won't be seeing 95% of these runway looks in-store. There arent going to be any capes, formal boat coats, man-pris, etc.

I'm predicting really well tailored fitted coats/suits, cool buttondown shirts (hopefully the 3 button neck kind that Brooks used to make), awesome sweaters that will have me broke by season's end, maybe some nice tweed/flannel trousers, slim wool ties, etc.

I'm with GS on this one: instead of trashing the runway show, I'm waiting to see the stuff that makes it into the BB stores. I'm hoping for some slimmer fitting coats/suits/shirts, made to BB quality, that I could actually use for something other than a campout. This would give me reason to set foot in a BB store again. I actually think I'm the demographic BB is aiming for--too slim to fit their mainline clothes, but with conservative tastes. And I agree with AlanC, Brooks could have done this without Thom Browne, but how else would they generate the buzz?

11. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Yes, but if they did that no one would have noticed, or it would have gotten a blurb in Details, maybe. This has everyone talking about Brooks. They've succeeded in doing what they wanted.
    They sure did. I stopped in 346 today, went upstairs and asked if the Thom Browne models were in. They explained that it was on the sixth floor but was just a special event show and the models aren't in yet. They told me it wasn't open to the public (I got the sense that I needn't have asked and if I went upstairs to look, no one would have noticed). As I left, I heard the salesman who greeted me debrief a colleague: "Just another Thom Browne drive-by."

12. persid

persid Well-Known Member

Seems extremely basic to me, and nothing you need a "name designer" to achieve. That jacket looks an awful lot like the RLPL cashmere jacket which Holdfast and others own, albeit a short for a regular model. It's a light grey. Nothing crazy there. The sweater is a navy v-neck. Wow! A white shirt! Grey flannel trousers!

Not directing this at you, persid, I just don't think it's anything special. Brooks Brothers could have achieved the same thing by simply modifying their existing stock to fit younger customers as well as zaftig trads.

I think I may be too easily impressed [​IMG] I'm biased because the few TB things I've tried fit me extremely well. The picture I posted is not a good example of creativity, but then again, how creative can one get with a jacket...that what the coats are for. I don't really feel strongly one way or another, I think a lot of the clothes look good and I know they would fit great. BB could have done a large part of it themselves, without TB's help, but they didn't.

This is all academic though, as there's little chance any of it will be in my price range.

PS. Check your PMs re: socks

13. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

I'm a bit disappointed. It looks like his usual stuff, and I was hoping the prices wouldn't be "significantly more." The suits could be a steal when clearanced though.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I'm actually rather fond of the old Brooks Brothers, before they were purchased by one of those corporate congolmerates; however, this does not jive well with any "reinvention" of the Brooks esthetic, if you will.

Personally, I feel Brooks Brothers should have just stuck with an Andover Shop/Henri Bendel/Herzfeld type of model--a sort of inimitable living fossil.

15. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

They should have called it 'Broox Brotherz'.

I like it though.

16. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

My guess is there's isnt gonna be much left at clearance time (tho I hope I'm wrong). The production runs are probably going to be limited as it is, and there's gonna be enough TB fashionistas that will buy it up. It's unbelievable that mainline TB (at its prices) sells out certain sizes, I can only believe there'd be a bigger buying frenzy when you can get similar gear for a significantly lower price, as Brooks' pricing I'm sure (as high as it prolly will be) will be lower than TB on sale.

17. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

I'm actually rather fond of the old Brooks Brothers, before they were purchased by one of those corporate congolmerates; however, this does not jive well with any "reinvention" of the Brooks esthetic, if you will.
    +1 We can always hope for the day that they have Brooks Brothers Classic Line or something though.

18. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

+1

We can always hope for the day that they have Brooks Brothers Classic Line or something though.

They do. It's called Brooks Brothers. There's no need to "reinvent" the BB aesthetics - it's still there. And that's why I don't shop there btw

19. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

+1

We can always hope for the day that they have Brooks Brothers Classic Line or something though.

I thought you'd be holding out for Pacific Sun Purple Label. [​IMG]

20. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Many of their main-line items look like things for the Business Casual Male--sort of what you'd expect Flusser to suggest for casual.