1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Thom Browne + Brooks Brothers = Black Fleece (pics are up)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scruff, Mar 21, 2007.

1. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

BB for some time now has needed to revitalize its image with the American public, its nice to see they're willing to move in this direction.

I really like that tan rain coat.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Definitely a step in the right directon for Brooks. I like it.[​IMG]

+ [​IMG]

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

I like most of it. And I'm gonna guess that much of it won't be around salestime.

For a runway show it looks wearable (which means the instore items will be VERY wearable)....what folks can't get a proper grasp of is that Thom Browne's runway shows are NOTHING like what you see in the stores that carry him. and you can hem your trousers as long/short as you want (his trousers have unfinished hems and probably measure 36-38")

I'm still waiting on a pricepoint. I'm sure it'll be in the higher range but pennies compared to Browne's own line.

*and there is a retro-ness going on, but it doesnt really reference the early 60s like I thought it might (as Labelking pointed out)...but still has a good modern meets retro vibe

4. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Definitely a step in the right directon for Brooks. I like it.[​IMG]

+[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. nmoraitis

nmoraitis Well-Known Member

I'm really digging it and as has been mentioned, I absolutely love the bigger pant cuffs. Very Milanese![​IMG]

6. Get Smart

I'm digging this sweater and look forward to having it in my dresser

[​IMG]

7. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

I like it. I think some of the runway models are a bit monochromatic, but that's just the fashion show. I hope the line will be available at the mall BB stores (or at least some of it). I need to travel a little bit to get to one of the flagships B&Ms.

Also, hopefully the sweater GS is admiring won't be selling for $3,000.

8. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Well-Known Member

and you can hem your trousers as long/short as you want
    I always find it funny how a forum with this level of knowledge forgets that basic fact of trousers when it comes to Brown. [​IMG] Collection looks good for what it is... None of it really stands out at a quick glance, but I suppose that's the point... A lot of it looks nice, though. I really want to know the prices.

9. robin

robin Well-Known Member

I really want to know the prices.
    I'm guessing they will be similiar to, or slightly higher than Golden Fleece prices.

How soon should we start seeing these in stores? (assuming they send inventory to each of them) Late summer perhaps?

10. HalfCanvas

HalfCanvas Well-Known Member

I'm really excited to see this. I don't think that this will be a very successful venture though -- at least in the beginning. But that's better for those in the know, because a lot of this stuff will go to super sale racks!

11. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

I remain unimpressed.

Suit looks okay despite the terrible balance. Coat is ugly.
    [​IMG]

Like New pants from ebay
    [​IMG]

Daytime formal for a boat race?
    [​IMG]

Is he wearing wellies? No, that would bad enough, but this is worse.
    [​IMG]

These pockets must be very useful, if you didn't have to chicken wing your arms to get to them.
    [​IMG]

Who says a cape isn't classic?
    [​IMG]

Wasn't this in his fall collection? I saw that vest at the Barney's warehouse sale, where it had patches.
    [​IMG]

Dracula called...
    [​IMG]

12. Get Smart

again to reiterate [​IMG] ....if the BB runway show is anything like his own, you won't be seeing 95% of these runway looks in-store. There arent going to be any capes, formal boat coats, man-pris, etc.

I'm predicting really well tailored fitted coats/suits, cool buttondown shirts (hopefully the 3 button neck kind that Brooks used to make), awesome sweaters that will have me broke by season's end, maybe some nice tweed/flannel trousers, slim wool ties, etc.

13. HalfCanvas

HalfCanvas Well-Known Member

Look at the sportcoat on the guy wearing the "wellies." It's fantastic -- nice lapels, a bit shorter, beautiful shoulder with some personality. That's the type of stuff I think we'll be seeing. And that's precisely the type of stuff that the average Brooks customer doesn't like and doesn't fit into. I don't think that hipsters will come to Brooks either -- even if Thom Browne's stuff is there. This will be a failed experiment I think.

14. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

again to reiterate [​IMG] ....if the BB runway show is anything like his own, you won't be seeing 95% of these runway looks in-store. There arent going to be any capes, formal boat coats, man-pris, etc.

I'm predicting really well tailored fitted coats/suits, cool buttondown shirts (hopefully the 3 button neck kind that Brooks used to make), awesome sweaters that will have me broke by season's end, maybe some nice tweed/flannel trousers, slim wool ties, etc.

Isn't there a huge difference between a runway show--where the idea is to show to buyers at big stores, who can then shape their order from what is shown--and the unveiling of an already announced collection at a single store?

You know, I saw that sweater and immediately thought it must have given you a huge smile.

15. Get Smart

Isn't there a huge difference between a runway show--where the idea is to show to buyers at big stores, who can then shape their order from what is shown--and the unveiling of an already announced collection at a single store?

You know, I saw that sweater and immediately thought it must have given you a huge smile.

since it's Brooks for Brooks, are there even buyers involved? I would assume stores will just receive merchandise with some kind of editting by someone in corporate based on location.

yea, you know you've been on SF too long when your tastes are so easily (and accurately) forecasted

16. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

The thing is, even considering it solely as a runway collection -- a distillation of the central themes of the work -- I just don't think it's entirely successful. The puffy jacket is the among the worst offenders, in that it already seems dated, and the last thing Brooks needs is for this collection to be seen as behind the times. But some of the other ideas border on, well, novelty gimmicks. The high-placed pockets on the overcoats, for example, seem like an attempt to be clever -- "Look, it's an overcoat, in miniature!" That, to me, almost borders on parody.

I'm sure this will produce some interesting items, and I like some of the pieces, including the sweater. But I don't think it's valid to write Thom a blank check on the grounds that "it'll look better in the stores."

17. Get Smart

I'm just applying my experiences with his brand once I saw a full collection instore...and amazed at how there was almost zero carryover from the absurd runway shows that we like to make fun of. His Brooks runway seems more 'normal' but it does contain a lot of absurdities when applied in context with Brooks Bros so I'm assuming he's doing a similar thing here and the instore merchandise will please more than piss off

18. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Well-Known Member

I very much like the "daytime formal" coat, as chorse123 calls it. I could easily see me buying that piece.

19. mack11211

mack11211 Well-Known Member

I think we should all double our calf exercise regimens, just in case.

20. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

I still think they should call it Black Sheep.

This is why I love the SF.