1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Thom Brown has $$$ trouble.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mack11211, Mar 25, 2009.

1. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

Serious question though: Do you guys see people really wearing this out there, like that? I've heard of the "he's influential" bit and that maybe so, but are there really people out there wearing those TB-style?
    I have. But just like my own TB suits, they're not cut off mid-shin so they blend in much easier. Furthermore, most people don't have the jackets as snug as TB wears them. I don't think people understand the fact that there's a difference between the TB look and the way TB owners wear their TB suits. If you ran into me wearing one, you'd probably know who made it, though I bet you'd have to look hard for a minute to double check.

2. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

No. You can pay just $1200.
    Assuming the entire outfit is TB, the tux shirt is $550 MSRP, the tux $5800 MSRP. I will raise you one though - you can pay just $39 for the same 'look'.

3. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

I don't think people understand the fact that there's a difference between the TB look and the way TB owners wear their TB suits. If you ran into me wearing one, you'd probably know who made it, though I bet you'd have to look hard for a minute to double check.

And now that TB is made by Oxxford, you could brag to fellow forumites, had you ran into them while wearing a TB suit, that it has more handwork than Keeton!!!

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Assuming the entire outfit is TB, the tux shirt is $550 MSRP, the tux $5800 MSRP.

I will raise you one though - you can pay just $39 for the same 'look'.

You can get the same bad fit you get from Brioni by going to men's wearhouse then?

5. PocketCircle

PocketCircle Well-Known Member

You can get the same bad fit you get from Brioni by going to men's wearhouse then?

Exactly. And I'm selling a great TB suit for $1200. For those who make jokes about short pants, it has a 38 in inseam.

6. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Well-Known Member

Money Trouble.... Maybe that's why he can't afford enough fabric to make a full pair of pants [​IMG]

7. johnny_flapjack

johnny_flapjack Well-Known Member

That means BB believes in the talent of TB and someone who buys stuff from BB believes in the designers and producers they work with.

I do believe that sort of logic would get you thrown off of most high school debate teams.

8. PocketCircle

PocketCircle Well-Known Member

I do believe that sort of logic would get you thrown off of most high school debate teams.

Then I should be happy that I never wanted to be in one of those cheesy high school debate teams.

There is nothing to debate anyway. gomestar finished with his comment:

"I don't think people understand the fact that there's a difference between the TB look and the way TB owners wear their TB suits. If you ran into me wearing one, you'd probably know who made it, though I bet you'd have to look hard for a minute to double check."

9. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Well-Known Member

I don't think people understand the fact that there's a difference between the TB look and the way TB owners wear their TB suits.

I have to agree. They quote the Wall Street collapse as causing the decreased demand for his products. So I assume bankers make up a significant part of his business.

No banker would dare come to work with his pants above his ankles. In that testosterone charged environment, he'd never hear the end of it.

10. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

I have to agree. They quote the Wall Street collapse as causing the decreased demand for his products. So I assume bankers make up a significant part of his business.

No banker would dare come to work with his pants above his ankles. In that testosterone charged environment, he'd never hear the end of it.

I work for an investment bank, and you're right: a banker with a TB suit in the pure TB style is rare. I have some balls as my TaT suit's pants are above my ankles, but that was $450 and I pull it off with some funky socks. I won't risk it with a $4,500 Thom Browne.

Many of the TB's I have seen on people have the pants hemmed at the actual break line. When walking, it give that definite TB flair, but when standing still it blends in just fine. I have my pants the same way. And in general, jackets are not nearly as tight as the photo of Thom Browne in the tuxedo that was posted on this thread ... that's way too much for even me!

11. jcc123

jcc123 Well-Known Member

I can get the same look by throwing my regular BB suit in the dryer, minus the $4000.

12. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Many of the TB's I have seen on people have the pants hemmed at the actual break line. When walking, it give that definite TB flair, but when standing still it blends in just fine. I have my pants the same way. And in general, jackets are not nearly as tight as the photo of Thom Browne in the tuxedo that was posted on this thread ... that's way too much for even me!
    Same here. My BF pants have a slight break and my jackets are slim-fit, but not tight. There is no way I'd wear the suits as TB intends.

13. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

There is no way I'd wear the suits as TB intends.

Then, he has failed.