1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Third Annual Collection of Sartorial Excellence

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Alexander Kabbaz, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Well-Known Member

That's what I am trying to find out.
    Oh, doggone it. And here I thought you were just mocking an aging shirtmaker. Whew!

Well, best of luck in your search. Let me know where the event is. I know a conservative or two who could use some business dress. Make sure to invite Steve B. [​IMG]

2. Will

Will Well-Known Member

I believe many if not all of the photos were taken on Saturday, when a proportion of odd jackets would be expected. Suits are worn on Friday.

The gentleman in the checked coat with the yellow striped knit tie looks great.

3. raley

raley Well-Known Member

Is this event just held in a hotel room? How many people attended last year? Doesn't seem like a very large event from the pictures.

4. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

I believe many if not all of the photos were taken on Saturday, when a proportion of odd jackets would be expected. Suits are worn on Friday.

The gentleman in the checked coat with the yellow striped knit tie looks great.

I think that's mmathew.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Is this event just held in a hotel room? How many people attended last year? Doesn't seem like a very large event from the pictures.
    Is it a suite? Perhaps, it's the penthouse this year.

6. Alexander Kabbaz

Is this event just held in a hotel room?
    Grand Suite
    How many people attended last year?
    Doesn't seem like a very large event from the pictures.
    Darn.

7. jcusey

jcusey Well-Known Member

I think that's mmathew.

No, it's not.

8. raley

raley Well-Known Member

Darn.

Uh, ok. Thanks. [​IMG]

9. Kasper

Kasper Well-Known Member

Kasper, I'm not trying to be an ass, but what the fuck are you talking about? How is "conservative business dress" not included as a part of showing and talking about shirts, suits, shoes, and ties? Do you want to go somewhere where they only only have swatches of navy and grey suiting and only show white or blue shirts?

Sorry but I made my inquiry based on the photos of what the people were wearing. You really don't need to use curse words to get my attention and I wouldn't consider disrespecting you with such language. To me those words are like wearing one of those trout ties to the workplace as it lowers your taste level in much of the same way.

10. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

No, it's not.

Oops. I stand corrected.

11. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

Sorry but I made my inquiry based on the photos of what the people were wearing. You really don't need to use curse words to get my attention and I wouldn't consider disrespecting you with such language. To me those words are like wearing one of those trout ties to the workplace as it lowers your taste level in much of the same way.
    My language was meant to express confusion, not disrespect.

12. Kasper

Kasper Well-Known Member

My language was meant to express confusion, not disrespect.

If you are in a professional business environment I wouldn’t consider using those words to express anything, even if someone stepped on your foot and scuffed a new pair of shoes.

13. King Francis

King Francis Well-Known Member

The CSE sounds pretty cool, and I have a great amount of respect for Mr. Kabbaz and his trade (or art, if you prefer), but I have to say, from the posts I've seen from him in the past nine months or so that I've read this board, he sure comes across as a prickly bastard. I don't think raley intended his observation as an insult, Mr. Kabbaz.

And Kasper, we aren't in a "professional business environment" here. We're among fellow enthusiasts, tradesmen, artisans, hobbyists, etc. Swearing, though not necessary, is allowed. Pretend we're in a private club, if you prefer, and that someone has just put out his cigar in your snifter of Glenlivet. A few choice words might drop from your lips.

14. Alexander Kabbaz

The CSE sounds pretty cool, and I have a great amount of respect for Mr. Kabbaz and his trade (or art, if you prefer), but I have to say, from the posts I've seen from him in the past nine months or so that I've read this board, he sure comes across as a prickly bastard. I don't believe raley intended his observation as an insult, Mr. Kabbaz.
    It was neither taken nor answered as one. "Darn" is how I really feel about last year's photos. We'll be changing from Kodak to Nikon, from 50mm to wide angle lenses and as well to a better photographer this year to capture a greater breadth of the event. And you're entirely correct: I'm knowledgeable and sharing about my field when asked; extremely prickly when demeaned or disrespected.

15. Kasper

Kasper Well-Known Member

And Kasper, we aren't in a "professional business environment" here. We're among fellow enthusiasts, tradesmen, artisans, hobbyists, etc. Swearing, though not necessary, is allowed. Pretend we're in a private club, if you prefer, and that someone has just put out his cigar in your snifter of Glenlivet. A few choice words might drop from your lips.

I understand your point but I feel that as members of this private club that we should be beacons of professionalism even when outside the workplace. I personally haven't used a curse word in over 5 years.

16. EL72

EL72 Well-Known Member

I personally haven't used a curse word in over 5 years.

Well here's mine for today: fuck off kasper the troll

17. EL72

EL72 Well-Known Member

...but then there will be days like one last week, when four of the top five threads focused on talking about/bashing the other forums. That's just tiresome...

I think it's rather sad and feel sorry for those whose idea of an interesting message board discussion is making fun of posters on other boards.

As you said though, I could not care less about the FNB forum so let's lock this thread and keep the crap out of SF.

18. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

I was going to say that I'm pretty fucking impressed with his extraordinary civility.

19. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

Kasper hasn't seemed overly trollish to me. He's simply giving his opinion when many times all we get is lauded how great everything is. In fact, I like dissenting views many times to see things from another angle. Many top business schools have one person who's job is to be devil's advocate for this reason. And he hasn't presented his criticisms in a uncivil manner. This is from the threads I've read at least.

20. Kasper

Kasper Well-Known Member

Kasper hasn't seemed overly trollish to me. He's simply giving his opinion when many times all we get is lauded how great everything is. In fact, I like dissenting views many times to see things from another angle. Many top business schools have one person who's job is to be devil's advocate for this reason. And he hasn't presented his criticisms in a uncivil manner. This is from the threads I've read at least.

Thank you Soph, I have never intended on giving my opinions in a mean spirited way but maybe I should do some soul searching as reading what EL said has really shaken me up. I never expected that type of hostility here but it would be careless of me to assume that I wasn’t somehow responsible for it. If I have offended anyone on the forum I sincerely apologize. I guess that I have very particular opinions on conservative business dress and maybe I am not always aware of the manner in which I communicate them.