• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things your dumb friends post on facebook

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It says that the decimal expansion of pi necessarily includes every possible digit combination by virtue of the fact it is an infinite, non-repeating series of digits. This is wrong, and trivially so— you can construct an infinite non-repeating sequence using only the digits 0-8, that necessarily won't include any digit sequences that contain any 9s. Pi also doesn't include any infinitely repeating rational-number decimal expansions, or else it would be rational itself.

As it happens, mathematicians seem to think the decimal expansion of pi includes all finite sequences of digits, but there's no reason simply to assume this to be the case.

I was reading it as saying that since it includes every possible number combination then simply representing it in base 2 (for example) gives both the digits necessary to represent all possible combinations of numbers since you have infinitely many 1s and 0s to choose from.

Last edited:

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was reading it as saying that since it includes every possible number combination then simply representing it in base 2 gives both the digits necessary to represent all possible combinations of numbers since you have infinitely many 1s and 0s to choose from.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. If it's that the binary expansion of pi contains- non-contiguously- all the 1s and 0s necessary to construct every other number, then yes, it's a true, albeit silly, observation. If it's that the binary expansion of pi contains all possible contiguous finite sequences of binary digits, then there's no more reason to believe this is necessarily true than it is for base 10.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More clever than dumb.

The man who created the Thesaurus has died. He’ll be fondly remembered, commemorated, memorialized, recalled and recollected.

Dolls have given us an unrealistic image of women. For example, Russian women do not contain smaller Russian women inside them.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

A famous DJ making songs with Riahanna,Florida and many others...

Not Nelson Mandela's level.

Excuse a foreigner, but I've been under the impression that Florida is one of your 50 states. In this case mr Guetta is indeed an impressive man.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. If it's that the binary expansion of pi contains- non-contiguously- all the 1s and 0s necessary to construct every other number, then yes, it's a true, albeit silly, observation. If it's that the binary expansion of pi contains all possible contiguous finite sequences of binary digits, then there's no more reason to believe this is necessarily true than it is for base 10.

The former, since it says 'every possible number combination', not 'every possible contiguous sequence written in conventional form'.

I don't see how it could be read differently considering what a combination is. And yes, as I said, it's silly and stems from something rather trivial.

Last edited:

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Oh you 'mericuhns and your horrible contributions to popular music (not saying us swedes have been much better the last few years).

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh you 'mericuhns and your horrible contributions to popular music (not saying us swedes have been much better the last few years).

:confused:

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's not a fair critique. 95+% of all popular music is ****, irregardless of country of origin.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Of course you are correct, I simply meant that our popular music has been getting increasingly worse the last couple of years (e.g. Swedish house mafia).
That's not a fair critique. 95+% of all popular music is ****, irregardless of country of origin.

True

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Does this count as swedish or american...the title makes it unclear
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My buddy likes to post **** he cooks, except a lot of the time it looks disgusting. Worst part is he usually gets several likes and comments. Maybe I'm just jelly I no longer post pics of my own cooking on fb.

Friend who posted these just IM'd me:

yellow lentils cooked in chicken stock (i use powder) over quinoa is money

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
oh you mean ingesting huge amounts of sodium bicarbonate is not only not lethal but also kills cancer cells?

...So, Vernon took matters into his own hands. On his brother’s advice, Vernon decided to raise his body’s pH to combat the cancer spreading in his body. To do this, he sought to obtain cesium chloride.

Cesium therapy is a well-known treatment protocol in cancer therapy. And it is an option doctors rarely give their cancer patients.

Treating cancer with cesium has been shown to have a 50% cure rate. Compared to chemotherapy and radiotherapy, cesium therapy produces better results. This cure rate is even more impressive considering the fact that most cancer patients receiving cesium have already undergone and failed to respond to chemotherapy, radiation therapy and/or surgery.

Instead of trying his luck with these orthodox cancer protocols, Vernon simply ordered cesium chloride.

Unfortunately, the cesium never arrived. However, Vernon did not give up on raising his pH levels and making his body too alkaline for cancer cells to spread. While searching for alternatives, he happened on a cheap and commonly available alkalizing source: baking soda.

This common household cooking item is commonly added to bubbly drinks and also used as an antacid to neutralize stomach acid in the treatment of ulcer and acid reflux.

The remedy Vernon found called for mixing baking soda with maple syrup. With no maple syrup on hand, he mixed the baking soda with molasses.

Vernon Johnston fought his cancer with ingredients taken from his kitchen. His efforts and success are documented on his blog aptly described as "dance with cancer".....

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That actually makes me feel sick. Apparent from being wrong it stands a chance of making desperate people stop genuine treatments and try out something that stands no chance of working.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads