• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you wish you knew about college, graduate schools, and entry-level careers?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Flambeur's advice is good

1. hard work - seriously, it seems everybody thinks that they are going to get what they want for free. it just isn't going to happen. if you want to succeed, you need to work hard.

2. be tough, stick to your guns

3. but be nice - people should understand that you are considerate at work, as long as they don't **** with you.

4. anything that you do before you are 30 isn't wasted, as long as you are doing something - smoking pot and hanging out playing videa games is a waste. spending two years teaching liberians to dig latrines isn't, even if you are going to be a corporate lawyer

5. your skills are a comodity - their value comes from rarity, and how others value them. think about how a company can use your skills (or skills you think that you can aquire) and how common that basket of skills is. if there is no value to others in your basket of skills, or if it is common, then you aren't going to be able to make money.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has helped me realize how fucked I am.
facepalm.gif
I have worked full time running my families business throughout college (40-60 hours on the norm). Since I worked so much throughout school, I am now 23 and still have not completed my accounting degree. I am 19 credits away from graduating but it feels like there is no end in sight. This semester I have gotten stuck with some horrible professors which will probably destroy my GPA. Great.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
facepalm.gif
I have worked full time running my families business throughout college (40-60 hours on the norm). Since I worked so much throughout school, I am now 23 and still have not completed my accounting degree. I am 19 credits away from graduating but it feels like there is no end in sight. This semester I have gotten stuck with some horrible professors which will probably destroy my GPA. Great.

-Concentrate on your classes, not all is lost, bang your head against the wall but try to keep your GPA up. -Make sure to get enough credits to get your CPA, not just the bachelors. If that requires staying for an extra year and getting a masters or something, DO IT. Once again, trust me on this. A bachelors in accounting is fine, but a CPA is what it's all about in accounting/finance, and you have to get one ASAP. -Try to get an internship doing accounting in the meantime, now is when the companies are interviewing for it. It will help you get a real job later. Even though you have full-time experience at your business, you need to do an internship in real accounting if you'd like to pursue a career in it.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you don't network/get an internship in your field during college, you will be starting off on the WRONG foot. These days, everyone has a B.A. or B.S. You need to distinguish yourself. Leadership positions in clubs or student government is also a plus.

As always, shoot for a decent GPA.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter

4. anything that you do before you are 30 isn't wasted, as long as you are doing something - smoking pot and hanging out playing videa games is a waste. spending two years teaching liberians to dig latrines isn't, even if you are going to be a corporate lawyer

This is interesting. I often feel like I've wasted a lot of time in the 20s, and it can be hard to come to terms with that. But you have to put it in perspective of your entire career - all 40+ years of it lets say. So I guess that works. One thing is for sure, it's much better to learn from your mistakes early on.

Originally Posted by globetrotter

5. your skills are a comodity - their value comes from rarity, and how others value them. think about how a company can use your skills (or skills you think that you can aquire) and how common that basket of skills is. if there is no value to others in your basket of skills, or if it is common, then you aren't going to be able to make money.

Also very true. As I've mentioned already, it seems that people with specific and useful skills are doing much better right now than those with common/generalist skills. It really is all about hard skills, whether that's tax accounting or proper sales training and experience.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't work full-time while doing your undergrad. If you really really have to because you have no other options, walk away from your job if they expect any overtime out of you. Even if you think you can manage it, you probably can't. Most people are going to run out of steam and burn-out at some point and it won't be pretty for your GPA. I'd say that those that are capable of doing a demanding job + maintaining a very high GPA, with no rest for 4 years, are in an extreme minority.

So try to work as little as possible. I'd say max 20hrs a week in a job with no responsibility that will follow you outside of work hours. Take the loans and worry about paying them after college. Extra money just isn't worth the impact on your gpa, social life, etc. College is the time to be poor. I really really wish I had followed this advice.

Mauby

Reaction score
Work hard. Stop wasting time posting on forums. Network.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6. Before you are 25, nobody really wants to listen to what you have to say about anything, because usually it's a bunch of smarmy, selfish, bullshit.
Got that!

duration

Reaction score
Second what Flambeur said. I may be snotty nosed, but I certainly would have been more grounded if someone told me all that back in college.

1. It absolutely matters where you went to school - Looking around my industry, this is obvious. The "target school" mentality holds true even in Asia. Perhaps, even more so in this class-conscious region.

5. Entry level careers - Sometimes, I feel that I should have stayed longer at one of the Big4s. Guess I was too anxious about getting a larger paycheck. In my country, 50% of junior staff leave the Big4s within a year. I wonder how common is this, in other places?

millionaire75

Reaction score
I wish I would have stayed longer as well (big 5 when I was there). Tell you the truth, I wish I would have stayed. My old roommate just made partner.

videogeek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
facepalm.gif

I have worked full time running my families business throughout college (40-60 hours on the norm). Since I worked so much throughout school, I am now 23 and still have not completed my accounting degree. I am 19 credits away from graduating but it feels like there is no end in sight. This semester I have gotten stuck with some horrible professors which will probably destroy my GPA.

Great.

Dude, you're 23! It's very nearly impossible to be completely fucked at 23. If it bugs you, cut back on the work for mom and dad, and finish school within a year.

I'd be willing to bet there are dozens of people on this forum who wish they were 23 and 19 credits away from finishing school again.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grass is not necessarily greener on the other side. In fact, it generally is not and LIFO is the name of the game in tough times.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Grass is not necessarily greener on the other side. In fact, it generally is not and LIFO is the name of the game in tough times.
GAAP or IFRS?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads