1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

People are lazy. Some feel that they are just running an errand and just plop their phone on the seat thinking that they won;t need it. Then they get a call and have to actually pick it up and use it. Yep unsafe. People don;t learn.

I had a friend who would do that with me in the car. I told him to cut that shit out. if he wants to get in an accident by himself, go for it. But don;t do that shit with me in the car.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

No, you're not getting it. There's a crowd of folks that get in the car, start the car, DIAL THE PHONE, then put it in drive. I hate them.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I drove recently after not driving for a while. It was a new, modern car where the dashboard looked like you could launch a NASA spaceship from it. It took me 2 hours to figure out how to turn on the windshield wipers. It also took me 30 minutes to figure out how to pump gas. I grew up in Jersey, I never had to do it myself!

4. Piobaire

Hipsters!

5. otc

otc Well-Known Member

This morning, I watched a woman miss a green light cycle because she was staring at her phone. The person behind her didn't honk at her because they were also staring at their phone and had no idea.

It looked like the kid in the car noticed, but knew better than to interrupt mommy when she's busy.

You can add bluetooth to a car very cheaply...
    From a little bluetooth box that clips to the visor and has a speaker/mic (or just an earbud), to a little puck that plugs into an AUX jack, to a unit that integrates with your factory stereo and makes it feel built in.

The integrated units are over $100 and are obviously model specific, but they are also pretty slick. Depending on the model, you can even control them using the stock head unit controls.

2 people like this.
  6. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

On a related note, more people keep fucking taking their cell phone calls on speaker. I want to drop a building on them

3 people like this.
  7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

When I get my Apple Watch delivered, I'll be sure to take my calls on it and follow you around.

8. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

White girls with dreadlocks.

Also, people who get fountain sodas and fill the cup 90% full of ice. Are they planning on taking two hours to drink it? Do they think it makes the drink colder?

1 person likes this.
  9. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

Conversation in the restroom:

Person: Man I got trouble urinating but it seems like you got a good streeng of urine from the organ.
    Me: That is not a proper topic for conversation just isn't.

3 people like this.
  10. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

I do it so I drink less soda.

11. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

That would be too nice. I would prefer to take the phone and ram it down their throat. Srsly what is with this? Put phone on speaker, hold at arm's length in front of face and scream at the phone. Some asshole was doing this in the surgery waiting room the other morning while I was there. It's early, quiet, people are stressed waiting for relatives… you get the scene. This fuck face starts this shit going for about 1 minute which was precisely my length of patience. I guarantee you it was quiet in that waiting room the rest of the time I was there.

6 people like this.
  12. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

I think AY spends so much time in spreadsheets that he has forgotten how to communicate with humans.

13. Piobaire

Can't remember if I posted about it, but one morning in the last several weeks, some asshole directly in front of me at Sbx was doing this. I let it slide until he got up to the register and kept talking. After about 20 seconds of the cashier staring at him expectantly I just pushed him to the side and ordered. He told the person he was on speakerphone, "Someone just pushed me out of the way!" The other person laughed.

3 people like this.
  14. donjuan17

donjuan17 Well-Known Member

Trustafaries

4 people like this.
  15. Gibonius

It's actually worth paying two bucks for a couple ounces of soda?

I drink the diet stuff, so I'm totally unconcerned with how much I drink. Pretty much fizzy water as far as I'm concerned.

16. Gibonius

Some girl in front of me at lunch was doing that. She was communicating via gestures to the employee assembling her food, while actively carrying on her conversation. You can't stfu for two minutes to have your burrito assembled? Dumb bastards.

2 people like this.
  17. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

Yes? I mean one of those cups is like 20oz. I normally have one cup with my meal then refill when I leave, so if I fill it with ice, it probably winds up being about 20 oz of soda total. Also, I almost always get tea which tends to be luke warm, so it needs a lot of ice to cool it.

18. otc

otc Well-Known Member

People are addicted to their little devices.

AT&T is doing it all wrong when they remind people not to text and drive (I just asked their telemarketer to stop calling me and they said "ok we will put you on our do not call list, please don't text and drive").

I ride a bike/motorcycle so I am often at a high vantage point and am passing people's cars where I can see what they are doing in their laps. The people dicking around with their phones aren't texting. >50% the time, they are browsing through facebook or instagram, not replying to some ultra important text or email that can't wait (but can't be replaced with a handsfree phone call at least).

They can't stop passively observing other people's lives long enough to drive...what makes you think they are going to actually stop talking to order a burrito?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  19. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

I fucked around with one years ago. She was very cool. But yeah...she had some $$.

Parents had a house on Fire Island. We(just she and I) went there the week after Labor Day one year for my first(and only time.) She said that their house was just ok compared to Liz Claiborne/Geraldine Ferraro's which was close to her parents place. They had an amazing place. I could/would not complain.

We would go to the beach and she would jump in the water topless and smoke weed under our umbrella. She asked me if I knew anyone who needed mushrooms(or weed...I forget.) Great time.

She lived in a nice brownstone in Brooklyn.

Bonus points as she was very into sex!

She is probably married with children now....

20. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

The speakerphone part would have been enough for me to throw the phone out the door a yell "here boy, catch!!"