1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

all of my bitching and moaning about Pennsylvania disappears when i think about all of the fireworks I've purchased there.

1 person likes this.
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Okay, this is sort of funny. First, Rand is an M.D. and earned his education at Duke, which is a well regarded med school. We can safely say he's not an ignorant fuck in regards to medicine. Additionally, vaccines do not "work, period." That's just 100% wrong. Some are very effective, nearly 100% so, others not so much. It's also why it's so important for populations to have deep penetration of coverage with vaccines.

Now, the real topic you're getting at, that Rand is pandering to his base, is CE shit.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

This is an important point. Of course, to me that underscores the real problem with his comment, about which I'll say no more here . . .

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Okay, so just because you have a professional degree and went to a prestigious school, you cannot be an ignorant fool?

When I say vaccines "work," I mean that all the baseless allegations that they cause mental disorders like autism are complete bullshit.

5. Piobaire

One can certainly overall be an ignorant fool, but if one wishes to believe the entire Western system of meritocracy is not completely false, it's best to believe that one is not an ignorant fool in the particular specialty one obtains an advanced degree in, at a well regarded school, then passes rigorous testing to become licensed. Me? I prefer to believe folks that get through a good med school and pass the licensing are not ignorant fools about medicine. YMMV.

Again, the real topic here is CE shit.

Also, this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/03/rand-paul-vaccinations_n_6609854.html

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Does your company care about people bailing right after the bonus checks are cut?

I've heard that companies can look down on that behavior and that it can be a little bridge-burny with some managers. I think this is BS (it is a bonus for work done in the past and you are already a couple of months past the end of the year), but if you want to keep a door open at the company or get solid recommendations, staying for the bonus might mean staying through April or May to not look bad.

7. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

"Move it to CE" opens questions of the limits between political and non-political speech. This in and of itself is a controversial and politicized question. So "move it to CE" belongs in CE--please don't use it here.

2 people like this.
  8. Piobaire

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

PA is the midatlantic

1 person likes this.
  10. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

^^ Belongs in CE fourum no two ways about it.

3 people like this.
  11. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Generally, no. Maybe if you're an asshole when you leave, but not otherwise. And certainly not with me - you worked every day of that year, and we still get to enjoy the benefits of the work that we're paying you that bonus for - it's deserved even if you leave right after.

12. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Thank you, yes. We have the guns of the Midwest but the gay marriage of the Coasts.

13. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Mid Atlantic ? What is this secessionist nonsense!?!

14. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Well-Known Member

So you're saying Penna is the best of both?

1 person likes this.
  15. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

Don't forget the state run liquor stores of other mid-atlantic states like Virginia.

1 person likes this.
  16. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

If you "mid atlantics" actually do secede, leave VA behind. Their state troopers already show all the signs of burgeoning fascism. You have been warned

2 people like this.
  17. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Virginia: home of wide-open country roads with speed limits of 45 mph.

1 person likes this.
  18. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

Not in the slightest.
    Just like companies get rid of people just prior to bonus season, many people leave after receiving their bonus.

If a company which doles out bonuses at the end of Feb thinks that the employees that bounce in March/April were not planning it...or that it looks less "bad", they need to take a shot of reality tequila.

19. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

That's a fair point. It's not perfect, that's true. But my property taxes are $750 a year so fuck Jersey and NY.

20. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

My quarterly property taxes are higher than that. :(