1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

I knew that, I just liked the thought of people dragging a bayliner down the street.

2. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

i'm sure it's something you could youtube

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I grew up poor but my mother never bought me ramen noodles. :(

Now, when I moved out and was poor, I'd wait for the six for a dollar sale and stock up. Great drunk food.

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

My mother bought me dick burgers.

5 people like this.
  5. Find Finn

6. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

These two Chinese women always walk loops around my hallway every afternoon, speaking loudly in Mandarin. They don't work in this building and there's nothing special about my hall. It doesn't even have windows. Why are they here? Why are they annoying me and everyone else by taking their leisure walk by people's offices? Why don't they ever go outside?

7. Find Finn

8. Piobaire

Let's look at the facts:

1) Don't work in your building. Salient point: neither does their boss then most likely.
    2) No windows. Said boss can't seem them walking when they should be working.
    3) Why don't they go outside? Their boss might see them.

1 person likes this.
  9. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Prelude to Red Dawn?

10. otc

otc Well-Known Member

This photoshoot doesn't make any sense:
    http://www.chubbiesshorts.com/products/the-zillionaires#.
    [​IMG]

Why is the boat flying its spinnaker (big colorful sail made for moving fast downwind) but not its main sail?
    Why is a man jumping off of a boat that is ostensibly moving fast down wind away from him?
    Why would I want to buy a swimsuit from a company named Chubbies?

And just for @EMartNJ--is that spinnaker photoshopped in? I can't see anything holding the tack in place...but maybe that guy is just standing in front of it.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  11. Gibonius

Odds are good they're bench scientists, which means they're pretty much totally unsupervised. I can fuck right off and go do whatever I want most of the time. I'll go read outside, go walk around, hell, even gone to the liquor store for a break. Ain't nobody care about that as long as you get work done.

We also have like 15 buildings, so they could have their pick.

12. Piobaire

Okay, new answer: they want to double tag you?

13. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Yo, squash that boat talk. Owning a boat is at the top of my very short list of deep regrets.

14. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

I'm cringing so hard at that picture. Look at the flags on the front of the mast too, there is no situation where those would be flying straight to the bow.

15. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

Oh, I know. I spent a fair bit of time on boats when I was a kid, and I remember all the hassle and such. There is much planning to be done, and accounting for the cost and pain of it all might mean it continues to be pushed into the future. However, I love being on water so much that I can't imagine there won't come a time in my life where I have a boat, especially because I want my kids to have some of the experiences I did. I know enough to know what a pain it is, but I think I'll probably hit a point where it's worth it. FWIW, one of my retirement goals is to do the Great Loop, if that gives any indication of how much I want to be on a boat.
    Despite my love of boats and the water, and having spent a good amount of my formative years on boats, I know very little about sailing. I would really love to learn, but I've always been exposed to power boats. I know that I'm supposed to yield to y'all when you're under sail, but that's about it. The only experience I've had on a sailboat was on one of those small catamarans with the canvas "deck" when I was about 12. Something broke on the sail, which swung around, knocked me across the canvas, and into the water.
    This is all true, but it doesn't explain why any of the vehicles you mentioned would be more appropriate for me than a truck if I'm in the market for a vehicle anyway. If the wife already has a minivan, and I'm going to buy something, why not buy the vehicle I want? Bear in mind that I don't live in an urban area and drive less than 15 miles total on an average day. There's also a better-than-average chance that I'll have a fair bit of land when I buy a house, and I like to do stuff like camping and kayaking where the space in a truck bed would be nice. Also, big trucks are sweet. I'd be lying if I said part of the appeal isn't just a somewhat-juvenile love of trucks. If I'm gonna spend a ton of money on a new car, I might as well get what I want.
    :laugh: Two best days of a boat owner's life, and all that?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  16. Gibonius

I go for redheads man, I leave the Chinese to better men.

2 people like this.
  17. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

Why?

18. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

This. I grew up on boats as well. If you're going to have a boat be able to afford a nice boat.. and if you can afford a nice boat you keep it in the water… with dock help. boom.

19. Find Finn

I think MrG is on to something, the best days in the life of a boat owner, is the first and the last.

Boats are giant money pits.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  20. Find Finn

The whole women who instagram pictures of themselves without make up like it's a big deal, if men did that everyone would be like, idiot.