1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Heck, look at all of those foaming soap dispensers--people fricking love lather.

Those things are great though: they keep people from using too much soap. When I first saw office/public rest rooms switching to foaming dispensers, I thought it was some stupid shit, but then I realized that there are crazy people out there who will use like 5 pumps of soap to wash their hands. Now those people are happy with a tiny bit of liquid soap that has been expanded into a palm-full of foam.

2 people like this.
  2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Hey guise, random grammatical question:

Is it redundant to say "requisite requirements?"

3. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

Negative. More is more.

4. GreenFrog

Are you sure?

Calling the expertise of @L'Incandescent !!

@L'Incandescent

WHY ISN'T THE TAGGING FUNCTION WORKING

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  5. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

It's a very awkward way to put the point, but there's at least one circumstance where it would make sense. If you mean that it's necessary for those requirements to be in place, then the requirements would be requisite. But even if that's what you mean, there are more elegant ways to say it.

1 person likes this.
  6. GreenFrog

Gotcha. I thought that would be the case.

Can you help me with this phrase from my resume, please?

"...captured best practices, major gaps, and new product/service opportunities, and their capability requirements, for CLIENT"

I think it sounds a bit awkward at the end with the ',and their capability requirements,' -- is there a better way of phrasing this? I originally had "requisite" in place of "capability" and just changed it.

I was thinking of just saying "captured best practices, major gaps, and new product/service opportunities (and their capability requirements) for CLIENT" but the use of parentheses doesn't feel elegant to use in a resume.

HALP!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  7. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to be able to provide much helpful advice. I just don't have a sense for what counts as good communication in a business setting. I don't really understand how you're using the verb "captured," for example. That is, I don't know what it means to capture a best practice or a gap or a product/service opportunity.

1 person likes this.
  8. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

Depends, could be a third party requirement.

9. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Helped clients improve profitability and growth by recommending and implementing new product opportunities

10. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

^ that's pretty good. verb and object at the beginning followed by descriptor... much clearer than your original GF. :nodding:

what I don't get? Tucking your f'g ears inside a baseball cap. What in holy hell is the point/reason for having your hat large enough to accommodate your ears inside of it. Absolutely f'g stoopid.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  11. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

The Svedka vodka "sexy" robot lady.

[​IMG]

Huh?

12. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

I'm going to try the Dr. B's tea tree when my hemp almond runs out. Didn't you say that you use it as shampoo with some kind of rinsing agent? is that on the website?

13. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

It goes with the 2033 tag. I think its one of the better campaigns out there.

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I use it as a shampoo, yes. I follow with their citrus rinse conditioner. Natural soaps have a high ph, which causes your hair cuticle to open up and feel tangly and waxy. The conditioner is mostly lemon juice with a very low ph to close and smooth the hair's cuticle.

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I should also mention to you girls on here that you shouldn't use natural soaps on your color rested hair. Since the high ph opens the hair's follicles it causes the color to fade.

16. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

my resume used to be full of terrible and unquantifiable junk bullets like this.

3 people like this.
  17. GreenFrog

Thanks for the suggestions gents.

It def. is bullshit business speak but not much I can do about it. I'm trying to tailor my resume with key words from each job application.

Unfortunately cannot quantify most of my project work because the vast majority of our work never gets implemented.

18. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

the problem is, somebody would look at your resume and go "ok, i don't know jack shit about what this kid does". And just because work wasn't implemented doesn't matter, it still counts as something like "advised client through $20MM in product expantion options through new geographical markets" or some shit like that.

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

You're in a tough spot, GF. As a guy that's read thousands of resumes I just tune out general current buzzwords and industry specific buzzwords when I read resumes. I always look to see if an outcome is linked to the sentence, and if not, mentally file it as filler.

One page resumes, IMO, are the way to do things. For guys just starting out you don't need to fill much space and for guys with experience it forces you to not ramble and hit the highlights.

20. GreenFrog

My resume is one page.

Even if I don't have quantifiable (I do, for some projects; just not for the one in question) achievements, don't employers simply look for the experience of having conducted such analyses at my level?

Also, I'm definitely erring on the side of using more buzzwords than not. I find that a lot of recruiters and HR people look for shit like that.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014