1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

That is a great idea, but I don't know what kind of things the toilet might post if I gave it that kind of freedom. (Also, tbh, I am not savvy enough to get it connected to social media.)

2. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

Trolling

2 people like this.
  3. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

i'm watching "How it's made". They're making miniature steam locomotives that people put in their yards and ride on tracks that they put in the hard.

4. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

My great-uncle used to make those. To my understanding, he was a legend in that hobby. Most people make them from kits - he made his from scratch, starting with original plans of the life-sized engines, scaling them down and doing all the engineering himself (a lot changes when you shrink the boilers), and building them from bare metal in his machine shop. We're talking turning his own screws kind of level of detail and in-house work. One of his engines was displayed at the Smithsonian (so I am told). His two biggest pieces de resistances had about 8,000 man-hours in each one.

When I was a kid, we used to go to his house and ride the trains on his 1/3 mile track, which had a trestle bridge and two overwater steel bridges over a pond (he built those too). Pretty baller stuff.

It is a really weird, weird hobby for sure. Definitely a tweaker bunch. But what they do is pretty awesome and technical. You need a boilermaker's license to run one of them.

Edit: I just watched a piece of the How It's Made on youtube. F* that rinky-dink shit, his engines could pull 5 cars with 4-5 people on each car.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

Probably just a bunch of inane shit. :rimshot:

1 person likes this.
  6. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Doug, that's pretty awesome. I would have definitely tried to experiment with a derailment or two, though

7. L'Incandescent

Betimes I plug in my telephone for charging when I turn in for bed when I wake up I discover that I've unplugged it, even though I don't remember doing so. I wonder what other antics I get up to during bedtime hours? Hope I don't commit any crimes I would not enjoy prison that's for sure.

8. tropics

tropics Well-Known Member

have you been to prison? perhaps you would come to enjoy it given the correct circumstances.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  9. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Right hand turn lanes. Ones that are turning onto multi-lane roads. Why do people think they need to have all lanes clear just to make their right into the first lane?

10. L'Incandescent

Sometimes I do wait for other lanes to be clear. There is one place in my neighborhood where drivers very frequently change into the far right lane just as the road approaches the intersection. (I don't know why they do that, but they do.) If I made the right turn while they were in the center lane, I might strike them with my car, which I don't want (hassle and possible injury).

11. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Because nobody actually turns into the first lane anymore. If their next move is a left turn a mile down the road, fuck everybody, they are going for their target move immediately.

1 person likes this.
  12. L'Incandescent

Got an e-mail said "Energize your semester with free live Webinar!" I am told that participating in the Webinar will reignite my passion for teaching.

Here's what I wonder: is there even one human being on the planet--either among the audience to whom the message is directed or among the people who crafted the message--who believes that? Is there anyone on the planet who believes that the claim is even within a country mile of true? If you're going to make a false claim, it seems like you should at least try to give it an air of plausibility.

13. otc

otc Well-Known Member

People who choose heavy handled flatware for their conference room dining service.

I swear, every time I am in this office for a lunch meeting, someone loses a knife or fork on to the floor when moving plates around. If they had just chosen silverware that was more balanced, this would never happen.

14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Well did you share this insight with your colleagues or did you simply silently judge them for said ineptitude?

15. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I'm not going to complain to a client that their caterers use stupid silverware...

1 person likes this.
  16. GreenFrog

17. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Do you not get (acquire) this item, or do you mean you do not understand its intended usage?

18. GreenFrog

I understand how to acquire this material (in fact I have some from Houston coming to visit me next week; the blonde variety), but I don't know what to do with it once in hand.

:(

19. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

I have had this very thought many times. It seems like everybody knows they are nonsense but they keep getting requested. Maybe old people who aren't well acquainted with the internets perpetuate them? Also, I hate the word. Stupid portmanteau (as they often are).

1 person likes this.
  20. L'Incandescent

Okay so I was at the urinal station today doing the act of urinate. There was another guy at a different urinal station trying to do the act of urinate, but it wasn't going as well for him the urine did not come out in a steady stream. So as I am in the middle of act the guy says to me "I used to be able to pee like that, but not any more hahaha!" I didn't know what the appropriate response was, I don't think I've ever had a person comment on my stream of urine.

I know that some of you are thinking "This is just one of those stories that Linkadessen makes up out of whole cloth because it has a good ring to it shouldn't take it for serious." But I'm telling you straight up this did happen.

1 person likes this.