• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Their dating pool is 3 times bigger ?

Online dating hasn't done me any good (tbh not a lot of hot females sign up there), I have much better chances to find a date irl. It must be my personal charm.

But I wouldn't dismiss online dating, it is a channel to me new people so why not try it.

A lady who works in my office joined one of these sites where you pay 1k as a female and 3k for a guy to get "qualified" leads. She is quite decent the looks department yet seems to be drawn to failure as a general rule for those whom she dates. One of the three leads she has been sent since joining 4 months back told her he was really only looking for blonde/blue eyed types and actually asked to end the date early. I thought those who joined these pay sites would be happy to meet a breathing person but it seems more picky than I thought. I understand he paid a good chunk of change but this reaction seemed odd, wouldn't you at least attempt to get a shagging out of it?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This may start a riot, but...

In-car entertainment systems for children. Is it any wonder that kids have short attention spans and don't listen to their parents when we basically train them to plug in and STFU every time we get in the car?

I see their value perhaps on long trips, but even then it's a lot cheaper to hand them the iPad than pay $1500 for the installed option that's bound to be outdated shortly.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

In-car entertainment systems for children. Is it any wonder that kids have short attention spans and don't listen to their parents when we basically train them to plug in and STFU every time we get in the car?

I see their value perhaps on long trips, but even then it's a lot cheaper to hand them the iPad than pay $1500 for the installed option that's bound to be outdated shortly.

Even worse than this it is difficult to get certain vehicles without these things and it drives up the MSRP by around 2.5k in most models. I refuse to fund the soccer mom who will buy my off-lease vehicle!

Last edited:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That's why it's on my mind - hard to find a minivan without one of these atrocities.

ib4 qfi

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
When I looked at the big Inifiniti last summer they told me they never bring one in without the entertainment package...to a tune of nearly 3k. If I land at the QX next time there will be a big dealer search happening.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Things I don't get: People who expect others to wish them on their anniversaries. I have extended family that does this and it drives me up a wall. Anyone have an explanation?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Agreed.

LowerCaseG has one of those LeapPads, and we'll deploy that on long car rides when he's becoming (understandably) antsy. However, I see no use for a system that's there full-time to be used as a later-childhood pacifier. Generally speaking, when we're in the car we listen to music, talk, etc. (you know, actually interact with our child).

Last edited:

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Men in short denim shorts. Awful, awful [HIPSTER] trend.

^ :laugh:

I have this pair of chambray shorts that I got from j crew. i remember wearing them out to the dog run in Bushwick and this totally nice gay couple walks up to me and asks me where I got my "awesome shorts". I look them over and they're both wearing spaghetti strapped tank tops and jean short shorts with matching trucker hats.

it was only then that I realized that my "chambray" shorts looked exactly like garden variety hipster-jorts. they were so comfortable, but I immediately put them into a goodwill receptacle.

I don't really get how places like buffalo exchange fool people into buying their clothes. I made a trip there two years ago to try to sell off my wife's and I extra clothes and actually made like $150. When I got my money I started browsing around and was appalled at the almost brand new retail prices the place was selling used clothing at. Plus it was ******* used clothing, the place smelled bad even how well they laundered the loot.

i probably lucked out because there wasn't a line at the williamsburg branch and the person manning the counter was a familiar neighborhood face, but you could just see the desperation on the faces of the down trodden hipsters in the line selling off their clothes. it was really sad.

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's remarkable. Thrift shops in Brooklyn get away with charging damn near retail prices for very old clothes. And apparently, people pay it. Baffles the mind.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is this one by me that sells admittedly very, very, very nice, well kept vintage shoes, however they charge $250+ for them.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's not so bad really. Too expensive, but at least it's quality stuff.

There's a shop by me that I stopped in once and they wanted $150 for a ~20 year old no-name wool overcoat with obvious condition issues. I laughed at the woman running the place and walked out.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is this one by me that sells admittedly very, very, very nice, well kept vintage shoes, however they charge $250+ for them.

the one on driggs right? stone's throw from your place probably right? thats the one I went to. they went wild over my wife's punjabi shoes (she stocked up and bought like 30 pairs when she was india in 2008) and some of my sneakers (because I had some "asia only" editions of nikes and new balance).

mind you these were used sneakers and punjabi shoes.

a couple days later the wife and I went back there (she didn't really believe me when I said I actually sold a lot of our extra clothes) and saw our shoes sitting on the display cases with price tags. I had these brown New Balance shoes that they were selling for $40....i bought them for for a little over $50. and the punjabi shoes were selling for $30 each... (granted they were brand new).

it really weird seeing our old clothes there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads