1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

I've had some really random friendings where I wonder...who, what? sometimes I accept them just to see if my memory comes back.

2. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I like how they give her $15.82 an hour for being a "Computer Operator"

Yeah...like there are companies lining up to pay money to corn fed midwestern housewives for the time they spend spamming people with farmville and playing candy crush.

5 people like this.
  3. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

Oh no she didn't! should have ordered some lindt with your shipment to divert attention! Few hundred bucks of Amadei gone in 1 sitting in front of some day time soap sounds funny though.

1 person likes this.
  4. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Who the fuck pays a housekeeper or a laundry operator $10 an hour? What a load of horseshit.

5. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

I'm going to post this on my FB and..... sit back... and ohh and ahhhh... while watching THE FANTASTIC FIREWORK SHOW.

I do sort of agree with it though, a well run single income household with a organized/prepared/diligent homemaker [regardless of who's-stay-at-home], can be a thing of beauty.

cleaning/kid raising/cooking/organizing is tough - but some stay at homes are super prepared/organized and have it down to clock work (that shit is basically priceless). the thing i don't get is a lot of affluent stay at home people are just lazy shits though who still hire cleaners/nannies/ect and then still complain they have the hardest job on earth.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

one of the secretaries here said she doesn't drink wine because she gave her body to Jesus.

her body isn't even that nice.

5 people like this.
  7. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

She was serious? :uhoh:

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Did you ask her what Jesus thought of this gift?

9. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

Jesus returned it for store credit.

3 people like this.
  10. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

Disagree. Proximity is everything. I'd much rather watch a great private show with a couple grand worth of fireworks, where i am right underneath the things, than watch the greatest show in the world from a mile away, which is almost always the case.

11. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

:uhoh:

12. Douglas

Why. The. Fuck. Are. Schools. Still. Teaching. French.

2 people like this.
  13. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I dunno...there is something special about the deep rumble of those big fireworks that you can both hear and feel.

A mile away is too far though...You have to still be within decent range. The downtown Minneapolis fireworks are usually great...they launch them either off of barges in the river or off a bridge, and you are free to view from the river bank.
    Chicago fireworks are a joke...too many people so it is a hassle if you want to get close. The last few 4ths, I have seen the fireworks across the lake in St Joseph, MI which is a small town but has really stepped up their display lately. Again, you can stand on the beach and watch these things blow directly overhead.

14. why

why Well-Known Member

It's a useful language, if not for practical reasons then at least for linguistic ones -- a large portion of modern English comes from French and with it comes a lot of modern Anglo-Saxon culture. Additionally, exposure to another language allows people to draw more deeply on linguistic knowledge and makes learning other languages much easier. It's not much different in that regard from why schools teach still teach Latin.

Besides, the demographic argument presupposes that the most widespread language will always be the most useful. That's simply not the case. I've never needed Spanish in my life, but there have been many times when speaking French would have been very useful. Some industries and professions lend themselves more toward one language despite demographic superiority of another.

15. Douglas

Your anecdotal argument presupposes that your personal life is relevant. The demographic argument would seem to hold more weight, what with it being rooted more in probabilities that are calculable from incontrovertible facts.

French influence is diminishing in the modern world. Hell, the usefulness of French is diminishing in France. Nothing against France - it's a beautiful place and I will visit again, but the fact is that we are more likely to run into someone speaking only Spanish in our lives, because of the underlying demographic facts.

Still, even the comparison to Spanish suggests a dichotomy I did not present. There are other languages - I think Mandarin among them - that would be more useful, from a language and cultural point of view, than French. Call me a multiculturalist, but educating our children only from the perspective of a fading western hegemon is shortsighted.

I don't have a problem with Latin at all - I'd much rather my kid learn Latin than French. Having taken it, I understand and agree with your points about the building blocks of language and easing the learning of other languages. Some of that relates to how Latin is taught vs. how French (and other languages) are typically taught (with a focus on speaking rather than on the components), but the fact remains that Latin also provides the Western Civ historical element, and definitely eases the learning of other Romance languages.

But when I look at private elementary schools (this is the perspective from which I was writing my overly simplistic StyleForum post), for them to only offer French seems like an anachronism to me. My own personal perspective is probably skewed by my own experiences, but having some understanding of Asian cultures (not that they are all the same) and languages would seem to tee kids up better for their future, from a language and cultural point of view, than continuing to flog French.

Of course we both probably can admit the real reason schools still teach French: because there are still a lot of French teachers around.

1 person likes this.
  16. why

why Well-Known Member

It was just an example.

The issue is that you're looking at the wrong probabilities, which is what I was trying to show. People aren't randomly assigned tasks, careers, lives, etc., so ignoring their decision-making in the statistics is rather silly. A person who has family in a francophone country will probably need French more than Spanish, for example. Obviously, that's a very particular example but it demonstrates what I'm saying quite clearly, I hope. The demographic argument also assumes that the usefulness of a language is measured by the size of its demographic, which simply isn't true. A look at how business is done between Asian countries and the US is enough to understand this.

I'd argue learning French, Spanish, or Italian eases learning other Romance languages more so. The structure of Latin is completely unlike its child languages, which themselves are all pretty similar. Etymological analogies can be learned from any of those, anyway. Latin is more useful for linguistics studies per se than modern languages.

I can agree there to an extent, but it's not like French teachers have much clout. A lot of reasons why it's still taught at public schools have to do with tradition.

It's likely taught at private schools so the kids don't look silly the first time they pronounce Louis Vuitton or try or order a bottle of Dom. Joking aside, really, prestige reasons are likely a large part of why it's taught at private schools -- which is ridiculous in the most proper sense of the word considering the above considerations likely play little or no part in the choice and the thought process probably doesn't go much deeper than French : Chanel :: Spanish : Burrito.

17. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

18. Douglas

You're right of course, probabilities are dependent on whom you're talking about. In the private school example (mine), there is some probability, likely high, that little Muffy will study French literature and do a stint doing humanitarian work in Northern Africa before marrying a hedge fund manager and having his rotten children. There's also the probability that her lack of Spanish means the housekeeper can talk about what a miserable piece of shit she is to her friends on the cell phone right in front of her.

In the case of a public school student, the probabilities are much, much higher that they will need Spanish to understand what's going on while they're running entrees at the Macaroni Grill, than that they will need French for anything.

In my daughter's case, my hope is that she would be able to understand Asian language and culture to be able to not only conduct business from a Western-centric point of view but also understand why the business culture in other places might not be the same as it is here. In a private school environment, where you are willing to pay stupid amounts of money to get the best possible education for your child, it astounds me that a language as important as Mandarin, having as little in common with bromance languages as it does, and a different alphabet to boot, is virtually impossible to find taught at an elementary level.

I disagree, but I haven't studied this stuff enough to have a professional opinion. I took French and Latin. Latin vastly improved my ability to read and write in English (can you imagine how shitty I was before?) and even today I find I can pick up an Italian, or Spanish, or French newspaper and at least figure out what the articles are about. It provides as useful an entry point as any to learning any Romance language... for me.

19. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

I don't know to what extent this still holds true, but as English is the international language for aviation, French is (was?) the international language for diplomacy. Cause I heard that one time. That, and the strong U.S.-France relationship in the U.S.'s formative years, must have laid the groundwork for why we have French programs in our schools. Germany probably messed up its chances with a few wars.

That said, I agree, for the vast majority of U.S. students it is silly to study French instead of Spanish.

20. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

English, the lingua franca.

The irony of it!