1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

Not implying. Stating outright.

For a band that came out when they did, they were profoundly innovative and original. They basically invented a genre of music. I know it's easy to ignore context and :rolleyes: because of what nu metal became, but they're a legitimately talented band. Well, they were. I won't vouch for a lot of the stuff they released in the 2000s.

Exactly right. Borland, Munky, and Head were all interesting, innovative guitarists. Borland was especially cool because he was such a talented musician. The two-handed stuff he did was awesome.

Again, it's easy to dismiss them because they things they did were ripped off and diluted countless times, but that doesn't change what they all meant to their particular time and place.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Davis also (attempts to) play the bagpipes. Have to admire that.

3. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

Borland totally had some cool stuff going on. Didn't he always use 7-stringers? I forget. It's the power-chord bands that make me roll my eyes.

4. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

It's true. That was mind blowing when I was a teenager.

"Dude! It's metal but it's got fucking bagpipes! I wonder if he plays them at shows!? That would be crazy!*"

*He does. Or at least he did in the 90s and early 00s.

Yup, he and the guys from KoRn both used 7-string guitars. The KoRn guys played Ibanez; I don't recall what Borland used.

Agreed on the power-chord bands. The early nu metal guys did a good job of getting a fat, low-end sound out of those guitars while still maintaining texture. At some point, however, every metalhead in American had to have one of those 7-string Ibanezes, and the sound turned to mud.

5. Liam O

Liam O Well-Known Member

Re: Thread name: anything in the last two pages of this thread. Nu metal? WTF is that, it sounds horrible.

6. otc

otc Well-Known Member

99 luft ballons is one of my favorite karaoke songs. Both because I love the song, and because the version that all of the asian karaoke places have is always the Goldfinger version which means you get to flub your way through a grunty german verse.

See, this is why I don't like talking about music with a bunch of my friends. They will dismiss things like this for all the wrong reasons. They will hate Kanye's music because he's a douchenozzle, they will reject Tool because that's what the weird kids in high school listened to, and I feel like they aren't very good at separating talent and originality from overproduction and copycats (especially for genres that aren't their personal favorites). It's like saying Alien is a bad movie because it is kind of slow, the special effects aren't super fancy, and the premise has been done to death.

One of them tried to make the "Rap isn't music" argument the other day...I'll agree that there is a lot of bad rap, and that rapping is not singing, but if you took the vocals completely out of a rap song, would it not still be music? If the Roots choose to take a song and use their voices as a different kind of instrument, does that somehow make it not music?
    I don't like country, but I'd never try to claim that it wasn't music...

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

[VIDEO] [/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  8. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

i saw The Who a few months ago at Barclays Center.

they really embrace the whole "we are old, so we need a big band" thing as I counted 12 people on stage throughout the show. Meh.

1 person likes this.
  9. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Early 2000's was a rough time for metal/rock music. Everyone was busy listening to the flavor of the week rap star and there was little in the way of new/interesting happening in rock music.

10. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

The early 2000s are saved by Interpol, to my way of thinking at least.

1 person likes this.
  11. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

You guys should just listen to Fleetwood Mac or Bonnie Raitt and end this stupid discussion.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  12. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

13. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

When I was an undergraduate student, there was a protest at the other university in town, which was a Catholic university. I don't remember the details, but I think some nuns were either fired or disciplined for something. Anyway, there was a protest where a bunch of earnest young Catholic men and women (mostly women) gathered round in a circle and sang "What's Up?" (a.k.a. "What's Goin' On?"). It was because they wanted to know what was goin' on with those nuns what got disciplined.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

This is why we got Nickelback.

I also am not a hater on them. Their early stuff, in their Canadian days, is not bad straight rock and even people like Jerry Cantrell think they are good in concert and get a bad wrap.

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Totally agree. And the Secret Machines

16. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

The only 90's music worth remembering is hip hop, so much greatness and the new stuff is shit.

I don't get newbs, who say thanks at the end of all teir posts, thanks.

17. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

Are you, or any of your friends, musicians? These types of debates were very common among my friends from HS-early 20s, but almost all of my friends were musicians, so our perspectives were probably different from people who only listen. They were always fun conversations to have, and it's enjoyable when a similar one pops up every now and again.

Well this is the most heartbreaking thing I'll read today.

:uhoh:

:(

18. otc

otc Well-Known Member

And Night at the Roxburry-esque dance music!

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

19. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Hip-hop, rap, r&b, and most ethnic music began sucking tremendously in the 90's. None of it is worth your time past 89.

20. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

And the 2000s are the best era for nu-metal. Nothing worth listening before 2001