1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

I grew up on Long Island and we had an above-ground pool there, along with a lot of other people. It was a solidly middle class neighborhood but I imagine the rich people had in-ground.

2. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

That Celine Dion pool would be acceptable if it was a lazy river

3. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

This morning I went to the East River park near Chinatown for sunrise, and there were a bunch of older Chinese people exercising. Has anyone seen this? It's fucking ridiculous. They basically just move their bodies in a way that closely resembles half-ass stretching (often while sitting down on a bench), but they just keep doing it continuously for the duration of their workout session. The mix in these ridiculous isolation movements, among which included this old woman shaking her hand... with her other hand, as if hands can't move on their own. Aside from 'bullshit' what is this practice called?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

^They will also hang off the fences George michael bluth style. It's one of the more humorous maneuvers when a lot if them do it simultaneously.

5. Liam O

Liam O Well-Known Member

Qigong or TaiChi.

Properly practiced, one of them is just very slow motion kungfu, but the older folks can't really do that so well, and its also meant to use opposing muscle groups as resistance, its actually pretty similar to how I work out (though the program I use is derived from Shotokan).

Still, having spent a lot of time around old chinese people and lived in an area where every park was packed with them from 6-10am, I can say they keep it up for hours, its decent cardio without straining the old folks, and it probably beats whatever once-a-week 20min swimaerobics class the white seniors are doing these day

6. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

not sure if serious

1 person likes this.
  7. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tai-chi/SA00087

a lot of people swear by it.

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Looking at that layout, I suspect that it is.

9. Numbernine

Numbernine Well-Known Member

Anyone who thinks Tai Chi is bullshit needs to educate themselves

10. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

:foo: invented tai chi

11. Godot

Godot Well-Known Member

What you might have seen is Falun Gong, an exercise & philosophical discipline that has been banned for some inexplicable reason in Mainland China. It probably was Tai Chi, but I have so few opportunities to bring up my knowledge of Falun Gong, that I use ever opportunity to share it. Carry on. :)

12. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

13. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

People clapping at them self.

14. Numbernine

Numbernine Well-Known Member

Somebody gotta do it

15. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

FTFM

1 person likes this.
  16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Well done. :)

17. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Well.......

I'm talking about, when people are clapping because someone has done something and the person(s) clap as well, like a retarded sea lion.

18. Dr. Class

Dr. Class Member

I recently moved to Springfield, Missouri and found out we get tens of thousands of people from all over the country visiting our town to see the original Bass Pro Shop. The majority do not buy anything, they just like to walk around and look at the decorations. Many of these people come from places where actual rivers and lakes and forests are located, why not just drive 15 minutes to see real nature and wildlife rather than 5 hours to see fake stuff? Also, Bass Pro Shops are located all over the country and are all similarly decorated, why is the original a big deal?

19. Big Pun

Big Pun Well-Known Member

As if voicemail isn't baffling enough, why the fuck do I need a password to listen to my voicemail?? Guess I'll never listen to the 47 or so I have accumulated.

20. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

Technology...:brick: