1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Why banks and financial services companies have shitty apps with almost no functionality when any smartphone that can use the app has a web browser that affords access to their regular full-functionality website.

3 people like this.
  2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Vanguard's app is awesome.

3. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

this is how that "sideway vagina" rumor started

1 person likes this.
  4. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Actually, that one's true. I've seen it.

Or perhaps I was just really drunk that night.

5. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Schwab's app had photo-deposit of checks. That alone makes the app worth it.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Last year we had an interesting case. A housekeeper had been depositing her pay using photo deposit. She was saving the cheques and tried to deposit her last three months of pay in person after she quit.

1 person likes this.
  7. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

I still don't get it, what is it with checks/cheques? Please join the second half of the 20th century.

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Still the easiest option for person to person payments, especially larger ones. I can't use a card (well, without the other person having one of those phone reader thingies), and I don't like carrying massive amounts of cash.

But using one at a store? Yeah, get with the program.

9. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I imagine they didn't go through right? duplicate check numbers should get flagged. Obviously, your bank will still give you the "we trust you" portion that is available immediately, but they shouldn't clear it all unless the checks were very small.

Dunno if I have ever written a check in a store, but its the standard way to pay for an apartment application/first month/deposit (even if they have automatic bill pay for the rest of your rental). My rental company doesn't have auto-debit, so my bank just prints out a check and mails it at the end of the month...zero work on my part, but there is still a paper check. I also pay my portion of the family cell phone bill the same way....my dad just gets a check from my bank.

When I bought my boat last year, I wrote the guy a check...too much cash to carry around and any other method available in the US involves fees (unless we were both Chase members...they have some free person-to-person transfer service). Not worth paying 3% when I could just write a check. Then my buddy who co-owns the boat cut me a check for his half. And I think I sent a check to pay for mooring since they tack on a credit card fee as well.

Everybody's first paycheck is an actual check too...always takes at least one cycle for people to enroll in direct deposit (and the preferred way to enroll in direct deposit is to just give HR a voided check).

I wish there were better options...but those little pieces of paper do work quite well.

10. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

problem with personal checks is that you usually need to wait for them to clear. the last time I needed to write a person-to-person check was buying a car, and I brought him a cashier's check that the seller encashed at the bank I wrote the check from. otherwise we would have waited for this stupid clearing period and who knows what happens in the interim.

11. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

the bigger the better muther fucker!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I sold a car a while back, and was stunned when the guy pulled out thousands of dollars in cash. The cash was fine, but I was expecting a cashiers check.

13. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

so that's what the Fonz did after Happy Days

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

The bank phoned our comptroller right away. The only reason I know about it is my CFO told me about it and pointed out the person was pretty observant as our checks have a 120 day expiration and she only tried it with three months worth of checks.

15. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

Let me rephrase, America please join the second half of the 20th century.

16. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

I make an exception for gigantic cheques.

17. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I dunno...They seem so robust.

With nothing more than a pen, I can use a check to give you any sum of money.

I don't need a computer or a phone, I don't have to have that exact sum of money in bills and coins, we don't have to have any third party present at the transaction. I wish there were something better for day to day use, but the check is kind of a cool thing.

For most everything else, we just use credit/debit cards....a lot of hotels in europe like to take deposits/payment by bank/wire transfer (or they ask for you to *email* the credit card info which is absurd and I don't think is even allowed in the US). This seems odd and backwards too me. It is a business transaction so why forgo all of the convenience and protections of a credit card? Wire transfers require knowledge of account numbers which can be a pain (I have to know mine, or I have to be able to enter yours somewhere), and they lack all of the consumer protections of a credit card...

18. why

why Well-Known Member

Because most people don't have or use credit cards in Europe and electronic payments at merchants are usually done via debit using bank cards. Since the banking system is different, US accounts need to be processed via manual wire transfer. A lot of places take credit cards, but I imagine hotels/restaurants often don't for fraud reasons. If someone uses a fraudulent credit card it can be impossible for the merchant to collect what they're owed from the overseas bank.

I personally hate the 'consumer' protections a lot of US credit card companies use. I've had numerous occasions where they stop payment even though they've been instructed not to. Last time it happened I almost had to pay for an entirely new airfare. It's certainly not for my protection since it's mostly their liability due to legal and contractual restrictions, yet I seem to be the one who often has to deal with the messes created by their incompetence.

19. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I don't get why someone would want to pretend that they're Canadian, but I completely get why someone would pretend that they're not American