1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Maybe she can get a baller job in HR?

2. otc

otc Well-Known Member

lol at how she bought into the school's marketing that they were "affordable" despite having 58k tuition (which is absurdly high...but I didn't check the website so maybe that includes room and board figures).

This is just a badly written article I think. Is the story about the student loan rates going up? In that case it wont affect any of the loans she already has and it won't do anything to the private loans that make up most of the 100k she expects to have (IIRC, you can't get more than ~20k in staffords in 4 years).

And its not like the rates are exploding. The rates are just going back to the same rates that two of my loans are at (I graduated in 2009)...pretty normal to have loans come in at different rates over four years.

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  4. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

her rationalization of it all brings me both pity and anger. It's just another occupy wall street scruffball in the making.

2 people like this.
  5. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Depending on where you are going in the DC area, you may want to look into flying into BWI, which is generally much cheaper than flying into Reagan or Dulles. I live in DC, and use BWI for much of my personal, domestic travel. The cost savings may outweigh the longer flight and longer and more expensive transfer.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I think you people are talking pretty harshly about Conne's future wife.

3 people like this.
  7. gomestar

sadly, this is something that really does need to be considered in the dating game. Marry her, and you're instantly $2K a month in the red just to support her loan payments, assuming she does the 10-12 year repayment plan. Nearly $40K of that principal will be interest. If she does 20 years, because god knows $2K a month is not feasible for a "human rights activist", double that interest.

8. munchausen

munchausen Well-Known Member

The cost of college tuition is in my mind a big problem, but the examples they pull out always seem to be middle class kids going to insanely overpriced private liberal arts colleges that were created so young aristocrats can hob nob.

1 person likes this.
  9. Piobaire

She's either going into governmental or advocacy (read: non-profit) work so really does she not just have to make the minimum % of income payments required for 10 years and then it's all forgiven?

10. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Definitely. There's a problem there, but that doesn't give people carte blanche to act like irresponsible idiots. If you can't afford it, regardless of whether or not it is "too expensive", don't go.

This girl is an idiot. It would be one thing if she had racked up that kind of debt to go to MIT or Stanford and come out as an immensely hireable programmer... It's another to do it with no defined benefits or plan where she maybe wants to become a "human rights activist" (speaking of--is that even a thing outside of independently wealthy philanthropists?).

Ask her again in 10 years if she thinks the "small class sizes!!!11!" were worth it.

11. gomestar

i don't know how this works, if I'm honest. According to the articles, only $12K of that will be from the government, the rest private banks, so I have a feeling the "does not apply here" will come up.

12. Piobaire

Ah, yeah, you're probably right.

This just triggered a thought though. This loan forgiveness is like the tax credit on Prius: a tax break for middle classed liberals. I mean, what type of college educated person is most likely to work for 10 or more years in government or the non-profit field?

13. gomestar

MIT, Stanford, and the Ivies have extremely generous financial aid programs, most having been implemented in the last few years. See: just after my graduation year :fu: (ok, it didn't matter for me in the end).

Most say if your family income is below $65K or $70K or something, you pay nothing at all to attend. Up to incomes of $150K, you pay roughly 10% of the income. Above that, and I think there's some other type of gradient. Furthermore, most Ivies with match the aid packages from other Ivies (plus usually MIT, Stanford, Duke).

It would be fairly hard to rack up that much debt from a top school unless your parents are fairly wealthy and give you NOTHING for college. Unfortunately, this does happen.

14. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Something doesn't compute though - the article says her dad is in the CHP. Doesn't seem like she's in the "aristocracy".

Still an idiot though. Maybe one reason she's in liberal arts is because she's terribly poor at math

15. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

:laugh:

This is kind of funny quoted back-to-back.

I looked into BWI, but I'll be staying in Alexandria and probably won't bother renting a car. I'm heading up for my brother's wedding, and everything is supposed to be happening close enough together that it won't warrant renting a car. My understanding, and I'm definitely willing to be told otherwise by folks who know better, is that this would make BWI impractical and not worth the savings.

Gome's correct. She'd be forgiven on her Stafford loans, but nothing else.

:mad:

16. Piobaire

Now, now, I said "most likely." Besides, look at that nice chuck of cash you're going to save.

17. Claghorn

I get that liberals might be more likely to work in an NGO, but government work seems like it would appeal (or fail to appeal) to both liberals and conservatives alike. The three state department folks I know all lean right (clearly a statistically significant sample).

18. Piobaire

Well, let's just look at that little happening at the IRS and extrapolate from there what political leanings might tend to be....

http://www.gallup.com/poll/146786/democrats-lead-ranks-union-state-workers.aspx

19. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

Just sniping back, Piob. ;)

Even if I do make it 10 years, I'm not an idiot so I don't have absurd amounts of debt that would be forgiven. There'd be some, but nothing like what we're talking about here.

To be honest, I like government work, and government in general interests me. For me, it's a choice to stay on this side of things.

That said, I'm not as certain I'll spend the rest of my career in government as I once was. My new path has opened my eyes to some non-government opportunities that might come up down the line, and there might be some chances to go private sector while still working in policy/government.

1 person likes this.
  20. Claghorn

Those policies seem more likely to be trickled down from up high rather than applicant trends from below.