1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

No, no, you have it wrong, the lyrics go, "the timing, the structure, did you hear, he fucked her?"

2. patrickBOOTH

I just saw the most ambiguous headline in the news ever. Alien-Planet Mappers Tackle 'Ninja' Worlds, Other Challenges

3. patrickBOOTH

Furthermore, the first sentence says, "Mapping the surface features of farflung alien planet is a tough task, as a simple example illustrates."

1. farflung isn't a really a word
    2. I don't need a simple example to tell me how hard of an endeavor such a thing must be!

4. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

Wrongity wrong with wrong sauce. The Ramones are the anti-boy-band.

5. munchausen

munchausen Well-Known Member

The Ramones invented an entire subgenre of music, made a grip of classic albums, and inspired three generations of rock and roll bands. Blink 182 wrote a bunch of irritating novelty hits that were played on MTV reality shows for about 5 years.

6. patrickBOOTH

You know Blink 182 is still making hit music 20 years later? I don't buy your opinion of the Ramones, lyrically and structurally they are no different. They are all a look.

7. munchausen

That's ok, we can agree to disagree and I will continue to be right and you will continue to be completely wrong.

1 person likes this.
  8. patrickBOOTH

Blink 182 also helped create a sub genre of music during a period that was dominated by Grunge. Your point isn't valid, ~P ~Q

9. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

what are you're thoughts on The Strokes?

(the strokes are a very very guilty pleasure of mine... the wife HATES them, but I at first hate-listened to them, and eventually was smitten).

10. patrickBOOTH

11. ClarkKent

ClarkKent Well-Known Member

most people on internet forums

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

TWSS

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

What genre did Blink invent? And they were breaking as grunge was dying (in the case of Cobain that statement is quite literal).

14. munchausen

cracka please. They were just Green Day for kids, and Green Day was already for kids.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  15. patrickBOOTH

Pop-Punk, which was paved by The Ramones. So if you are a fan of The Ramones, blame yourself.

16. munchausen

Blink 182 was to pop punk what Vanilla Ice was to hip hop

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Sorry, missed you said it was a sub-genre and not a genre. Yeah, well Creed was part of the post-grunge era and we know how that went.

18. patrickBOOTH

That is ridiculous and you can't even back that up with anything. Who is more apt to be considered pop punk? Green Day? They both came out of the same area around the same time period.

19. munchausen

The late 90s are the worst time for music ever, particularly in the pop charts. I would rather listen to a million Justin Biebers and Nicki Minaj's than Creed, LFO, Good Charlotte, etc.

1 person likes this.
  20. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

what?! I mean it's in Cleveland... doesn't that make perfect sense and just make you want to go there? (10) :happy:

so were the Sex Pistols and they literally could barely even play instruments but look what happened with Malcolm McLaren and Vivienne Westwood. The Ramones and Sex Pistols were like US/UK doppelgangers of a sort and everything considered punk, grunge, etc can be traced back to those two bands (among others of course). Blink 182, Green Day, Good Charlotte and tons of other shitty bands are mere flimsy impersonations of the real punk aesthetic. Westwood herself claims everything they did began with politics... not music, style or image.

and today it's a fucking shit show... I mean if there is any sign that the world is coming to and end it's Ke$ha. But at least there are still Jack Whites and The Black Keys and such... meaning actual musicians who actually play instruments.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013