1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I do appreciate video games. They're fun to play and talk shit with your friends while you're playing them. It's the concept of video games as a spectator sport that is totally foreign to me. I guess we've all walked by a buddy or a family member playing on the tv and cursing as a south Korean teenager owns their ass....but covering this shit in the mass media? I don't get it :confused:

1 person likes this.
  2. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Yeah, this I kind of get. Plus venevidi's point that they see it as a property to monetize. I get the supply side of it.

What I don't get is the demand side. Who the fuck wants to watch this?? I brought this up to my video game geek nephew and he told me that there's this site called Twitch where you can videostream yourself playing games and people will actually pay to watch you. WTF??

Only way I see this working is if you're a hot girl with an aversion to clothing

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Twitch is huge now - some guys get thousands of views every time they stream - mostly they 'interact' with the viewers, question and answer, teaching/advice, etc

also - yes, there are scantily clad girls who do this and get tons of followers as well.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Just before reading your last sentence I independently reached the exact same conclusion.

5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

It is for HRoi.

4 people like this.
  6. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

At every company I have worked for, we get an annual survey where people get the chance complain about what needs to be changed about work. Every year the results are about the same, but we just got the results of this year's survey back, and the top complaints were:

1. Too many meetings
    2. Too much time preparing for meetings
    3. Too many meetings
    4. Too many action items out of meetings.

I think the problem is people don't actually want to work.

7. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

I thought people who didn't like working love meetings. You can fritter away hours and appear productive without actually doing anything.

8. brokencycle

Well, now we get to have meetings (which we need to come prepared with ideas) on simplifying our workdays so we can be more productive.

9. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

More of a passion than a sport, I would say

10. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

That sounds about right.

I don't actually have enough meetings. My team hasn't done one in around two years. I don't even know what most of my coworkers are doing anymore.

11. brokencycle

We have a weekly meeting on what everyone is doing. I hate it because I don't care. No one else cares. They say they do, but no one is paying any attention during the meeting.

My idea is simple: update us from Office 2010. Why are we, as a tech company, using old Office software?

12. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I'm not sure whether I want to weigh in on the subject of meetings, or on employee satisfaction surveys :confused:

13. brokencycle

I'm sure that you should.

14. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

Anymore just seems like people are saying "ahn-ree" when they mean "ornery." Sorry if it seems like I'm bringing prejudice into the forum just seems like people who don't have that Dutch heritage lack the wear-with-all to say a proper r.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I had a direct report that would honest to god schedule a meeting to discuss what he felt occurred in a prior meeting or hold a meeting to schedule a meeting. The guy would have spent his entire day in meetings if allowed to. He was a legacy. I wonder what he does not?

16. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

sounds like he enjoyed meeting people

17. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

Seems like the owners are always be telling Gordon "scale a one to ten our food is defly 9 or 10!" And then they seem genuinely shocked when Gordon doesn't think their food is 9 or 10. Also, the owners frequently go back to their old ways after Gordon leaves even what they were failing when they used dat ways. Also, they know Gordon is coming and yet their refrigerators are in state of disgusting.

18. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member