1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things that you know are "inferior" but still prefer

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Guero

Guero Well-Known Member

I'd have to say hispanic women.

Wow, I didn't realize Hispanic women were inferior. Funny, I'll have to tell my Hispanic wife who is, by all accounts, stunning and had her Ph.D. from a top ten graduate program by the age of 26, that she is inferior. Now that I think of it, I'll have to tell my mother who came from nothing and worked her way through college while providing me the opportunity to go to fancy private schools that she, too, is inferior. What an eye opener. Thanks!

As for your preference for them, well, obviously, I understand that. At least you're not completely ignorant.

2. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Well-Known Member

Hispanic women are great cooks.

3. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't realize Hispanic women were inferior. Funny, I'll have to tell my Hispanic wife who is, by all accounts, stunning and had her Ph.D. from a top ten graduate program by the age of 26, that she is inferior. Now that I think of it, I'll have to tell my mother who came from nothing and worked her way through college while providing me the opportunity to go to fancy private schools that she, too, is inferior. What an eye opener. Thanks!

As for your preference for them, well, obviously, I understand that. At least you're not completely ignorant.

I believe that bmulford was typing with his tongue firmly planted in cheek. No need to go to guerra, guero (unless we're speaking of Vida Guerra).

1 person likes this.
  4. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Well-Known Member

Cool Water cologne at home

5. Razeus

Razeus Well-Known Member

Hispanic women are great cooks.

Then mine must be defective.

6. JensenH

JensenH Well-Known Member

You mother is a great woman and my hat is off to her. Don't let some smart ass here on SF get to you.

7. bubbleboys

bubbleboys Well-Known Member

Yes: Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, in the blue box, with the neon orange cheez powder.

I may be a food snob who once considered a career as a chef, but I will never, ever turn down a bowl of this shit.

that stuff is delicious, I love the mac and cheese with real cheddar, etc (which is the easiest thing to make) but sometimes I just want some kraft mac & cheese.

On the same note, Chef Boyardee Beef Ravioli, not the double stuffed.

8. Jack2000

Jack2000 Well-Known Member

9. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

Then mine must be defective.

Can you return her and get a better model?

My wife is English and she can't cook either.

10. forex

forex Well-Known Member

Can you return her and get a better model?

My wife is English and she can't cook either.

Unfortunately,they are non-returnable. Re-stocking fees are too high so you are better off keeping them.

11. Balfour

Balfour Well-Known Member

Fun thread, hence the necrobump.

1. Button-cuff shirts (a more atypical choice in UK than US).
    2. Disposable roller-balls, rather than fountain pens (+1 gdl).
    3. Cotton odd trousers rather than wool (not always, but often).

12. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

Mine:

- Full cut trousers and relatively loose fitting jackets
    - Clip-on suspenders (not that I prefer them, but I don't care wearing them)
    - Mid-calf socks (I don't have the "leg showing" issue even though I like pants with no break, go figure)

13. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

There is one genuinely inferior thing in these two lists. Some of these things (trousers you can take care of in your own home, clothes that are on the loose side) are arguably superior.

14. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

Oh. I thought "inferior" meant "SF disliked" [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Twinsies ! I'm very much with you on 1 and 3 as well

16. Balfour

Balfour Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

17. The Phog

The Phog Member

Johnnie Walker Black.

18. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

Woah, serious thread necro! But I see that I didn't contribute first-time around, so now it's been bumped, I figure I'll throw my tuppence-worth in.

I'm going to leave out things that are more about context-specific uses for cheaper or uglier items (like wearing rubber soled shoes in the rain, or deliberately using flashily patterned ties from time to time to create an effect), and stick to inferior things I wear despite it being perfectly appropriate to use something nicer:

- I'm definitely in the mid-calf cotton socks camp. I generally wear Falke Family: relatively cheap, easy to care for, and stay up fine.
    - The Gap for T-shirts to wear under sweaters, and for cheap merino v-neck sweaters; and M&S for underwear.
    - My wardrobe is a quite bimodal: mainly a mix of bespoke and RTW. And if I'm buying RTW, cut (& material) matters much more than construction to me, and I'm quite happy to go downmarket for it. So I have some Zara outerwear (and a pair of trousers); Zegna Gritti trousers & cashmere overcoat; Z Zegna jacket. My Suitsupply items fit into this category too, I suppose.
    - I prefer machine-made to hand-made under many circumstances unless the maker is excellent and really knows what they're doing. So I'm very happy with my machine-made Luxire shirts and am not remotely tempted to pay for their hand-sewn option. I'm not sure this counts as picking an "inferior" option though. But talking of shirts, I tend to prefer rougher/open moderate thread count shirting (80s to 120s) to the silkier/tighter higher count ones.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  19. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Btw, looking back at the (very old) OP, I have only changed my mind on socks. My only mid-calf socks now are either argyle cottons or sports socks. Anything else in my life is OTC.

20. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

• And now for the gravest sin of all: I have a 3-button notch lapel tuxedo and like it. (For shame, for shame! Are the shades of Styleforum to be thus polluted?)

• My one button peak lapel with shield/u-cut waistcoat balances it out. We are now sin-neutral. With it, I wear my only pair of double-sided cufflinks. With Black Tie, I think they are entirely worth the effort. Behind the bench, on the other hand, get the damn sleeves done up so I can write out my lineup card.

Most of my cufflinks, I inherited from my grandfather when I was 18. They are all toggle backs, and they will always be my favourites, until I some day give them to my sons and nephews. He left me several silver pairs, and one gold, and they are all bloody beautiful, even without the emotional attachment. My wife also bought me a pair of Star Fleet insignia cufflinks. Yes, I wear them, and yes, I like them.

I love my blue Chucks. Love them.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013